Sign in with
Your question

$500-$800 Gaming Upgrade - Help

Last response: in Systems
July 4, 2009 4:23:52 AM

I am replacing the main parts of my computer. Please take a look and let me know what you think. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next week

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Photo Editing (Photoshop Elements), Gaming (COD, Assasins Creed, GTA, Crysis, Far Cry 2, etc), Video Editing, General (Web, Word, Excel, etc)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Case, I would like to reuse my power supply if possible (Antec TP3-650) , Optical Drives (IDE), Hard Drive, Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse
Power supply specs - True Power Trio TP3-650 650W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply with Three 12V Rails - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Any reputable website. Most experience with TigerDirect and NewEgg.

PARTS PREFERENCES: See below on the first comment where I added some components to the list. I am unlikely to upgrade any core components on this system once it gets built, with the exception of possibly adding a second video card when I get a little more cash.

OVERCLOCKING: No SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes (maybe next month)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Currently 1280x1024, but planning to upgrade soon. Not sure what size yet. Probably around 22"

I will be using Windows 7 on this system

Thanks in advance for you help and most importantly your time.

More about : 500 800 gaming upgrade

July 4, 2009 5:35:39 AM

Okay I have narrowed it down a bit on the CPU, Mobo, graphics card. Please let me know what you think and if it will work with my power supply. Also, what kind of ram will work. Can I run 6 gb?

Graphics Card
XFX HD-485X-ZDFC Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Mobo/CPU Combo

AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDX945FBGIBOX and ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
July 4, 2009 6:35:54 AM

On AM3 boards DDR3 still runs in dual channel mode, so most people go with 4 or 8GB or RAM depending on usage.

That card will slaughter at 12x10 but if your new monitor exceedes 16x10 you might be wanting for more power.

But take heart, the DX11 cards will be out later this year, so that would be a good time to upgrade.
Related resources
July 4, 2009 6:45:24 AM

Thanks astrodudepsu. how much would it improve things later if i dropped in a second card and ran crossfire? Also, at that point do you think i would need to upgrade my PSU?
July 4, 2009 6:52:28 AM

I personally doubt you will never need crossfire unless you REALLY upgrade your monitor (think 19x12 and higher). But I'm a proponent of one single powerful cards vs two less powerful ones. The 4850 will run fine upto 19x10/12 but if you are one for eye candy and ultra high settings you will be wanting for more 'umph' so to speak.

Bottom line, you are in a good position right now. Run the 4850 until you upgrade the monitor/ are no longer happy with performance. By then the DX11 cards will be out, and the bang for the buck factor will have made itself clear.

As for the PSU it claims to be able to put out 19A on three 12V rails. Just keep that figure in your head when looking at card setups. That would certainly power any single card that should come into existance within the next year or so.
July 4, 2009 4:32:14 PM

I also am not a fan of SLI unless it's on a system where all it's benefits can be put to use as in a very large monitor, the latest upper range CPU, etc.

The AMD CPU and 4850 sounds like go value for your budget.

July 4, 2009 4:36:56 PM

Is it worth the extra money for the 4870 or should I wait for DX11 and upgrade then?
!