Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Mo

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
December 29, 2009 1:34:18 AM

Any have this Mobo or have a real review of it? I am looking to build a x58 system and am deciding whether to get the USB 3.0 or not. Just looking for an honest opinion.

Thanks

Scott
January 1, 2010 3:40:19 AM

I have the mobo, but still waiting on the HD5970 video card (next week, sure) before I can report on operation. There are quite a few decent reviews on newegg.com
/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16813131614
As important as the USB 3.0, the mobo also supports the new 6GB/S SATA protocol.
My new sys: P6X58D mobo, Corsair 850W PS, i7-975, Corsair 12GB DDR3, 2x Patriot 128GB SSD in raid0, big data drive and the HD5970
m
0
l
January 3, 2010 11:23:02 PM


Hey mkperrett,

what's the memory configuration for your 12GB of DDR3? That is, how many modules and what's the speed?

I've been looking into this because I want to get the same P6X58D motherboard and 12GB of high-speed RAM. According to this mb's QVL and its manual, you can't install high-frequency XMP/HyperX in two-triple-channel configuration to get 12GB, that is you must have 3 modules 4GB each (one per channel) if you want 8-8-8-24 CAS and DDR3-1600 or above. Section 2.4.2 of the manuals says "Due to Intel spec definition, XMP DIMMS and DDR3-1600 are supported for one DIMM per channel only". According to QVL, the best you can get with 12GB Corsair memory is two sets of 6GB (3x2GB TR3X6G1600C9Ver2.1(XMP)) which will give you 1333-9-9-9-24. Did you go lower than DDR3-1600?
m
0
l
Related resources
January 8, 2010 6:57:44 AM

if that's true I totally missed that when I bought the board... then again I can't think of a logical reason to go for 12g at the moment and by the time you would need 12g in three modules the price will probably be where 6g is at now. Personally I think 12g is just bragging rights at this point.
m
0
l
January 10, 2010 2:59:19 PM

There seems to be an inconsistency in the manual. Section 2.4.2 states that "Due to Intel spec definition, X.M.P DIMMs and DDR3-1600 are supported for one DIMM per channel only."

Yet in the Qualified Vendor List for DDR3-1600 (two pages later in the manual), it lists DIMM socket C* and D* support.

And at the end of the QVL tables a few pages later, it describes D* DIMM support as "Supports six (6) modules inserted into both the blue slots and the black slots as two set [sic] of Triple-channel memory configuration."

So, I am having trouble understanding how DDR3-1600 is "supported for one DIMM per channel only" and also can be "inserted into both the blue slots and the black slots as two set [sic] of Triple-channel memory."

Any thoughts? As my motherboard and 12GB of DDR3-1600 memory arrive tomorrow, I'll be contacting ASUS for clarification.
m
0
l
January 10, 2010 3:05:01 PM

4business said:
There seems to be an inconsistency in the manual. Section 2.4.2 states that "Due to Intel spec definition, X.M.P DIMMs and DDR3-1600 are supported for one DIMM per channel only."

Yet in the Qualified Vendor List for DDR3-1600 (two pages later in the manual), it lists DIMM socket C* and D* support.

And at the end of the QVL tables a few pages later, it describes D* DIMM support as "Supports six (6) modules inserted into both the blue slots and the black slots as two set [sic] of Triple-channel memory configuration."

So, I am having trouble understanding how DDR3-1600 is "supported for one DIMM per channel only" and also can be "inserted into both the blue slots and the black slots as two set [sic] of Triple-channel memory."

Any thoughts? As my motherboard and 12GB of DDR3-1600 memory arrive tomorrow, I'll be contacting ASUS for clarification.


As far as I remember, it does not list Corsair DDR3-1600 with columns C and D. It is clearly possible to get 12 gigs of RAM going, the question is can it be Corsair DD3-1600 in triple-channel mode (8-8-8-24 cas). From manual and QVL -- unlikely, although I'd love to be proven wrong on this one...
m
0
l
January 26, 2010 6:41:17 PM

Hi,

I have just recently purchased the p6x58d asus motherboard, the 12gb of corsair 1600mhz ddr3 memory and an i7 920 intel processor.

I am also wondering if it will be possible for me (the parts arrive in the next couple of days) to install the 12gb of memory and use all of it. I will be running win 7 64-bit as well.

Is there anyone following this thread who has gotten this to run?
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 4, 2010 2:38:38 PM

devinj898 said:
Hi,

I have just recently purchased the p6x58d asus motherboard, the 12gb of corsair 1600mhz ddr3 memory and an i7 920 intel processor.

I am also wondering if it will be possible for me (the parts arrive in the next couple of days) to install the 12gb of memory and use all of it. I will be running win 7 64-bit as well.

Is there anyone following this thread who has gotten this to run?



....So did it work or not?
m
0
l
February 4, 2010 6:14:38 PM

Quote:
....So did it work or not?



Yes it did. IT reads all 12 GB of ram!
m
0
l
February 6, 2010 6:32:04 AM

devinj898 said:
Yes it did. IT reads all 12 GB of ram!



Dear Devinj898:

I have built my system for video editing and need some help...

Could you do me a big favor? I have almost the same system as you. I only have the 6 gigs of corsair "Model TR3X6G1600C8 G"

I ordered 6 more gigs two days ago. So I can have a total of 12 gigs.

But at this time, since they haven't arrived yet, I have the 6 gigs.

So here is my problem:
With the 6 gigs installed (3x2 Model TR3X6G1600C8 G) in slots 2,4,and 6...It only shows me having 4 gigs of ram. I got a RMA from corsair, thinking it was the ram...But now with the replacement installed, I still only show 4 gigs not 6...

So I'm thinking its the MB settings or pins on the board...I have left everything at default. I don't want to over clock...

Would you be so kind as to give me your pin settings and your Bios settings, so I can utilize the 6gig and soon coming 12gigs of ram.

I have the latest bios #604..

Specs are as follows:
P6x58D Premium motherboard;
Intel XEON 3520;
Corsair Model TR3X6G1600C8 G;
(1) OCZ Solid State Drive 60gig (for OS and installs only);
(1) 500gig WD for photo-shop and data;
Asus EAH 5870 Video Card;
Lite-on iHAS 324-98y DVD-RW;
noctua nh-d14 Cooler

Thanks
rod
m
0
l
February 9, 2010 7:50:00 PM

rodm said:
Dear Devinj898:

I have built my system for video editing and need some help...

Could you do me a big favor? I have almost the same system as you. I only have the 6 gigs of corsair "Model TR3X6G1600C8 G"

I ordered 6 more gigs two days ago. So I can have a total of 12 gigs.

But at this time, since they haven't arrived yet, I have the 6 gigs.

So here is my problem:
With the 6 gigs installed (3x2 Model TR3X6G1600C8 G) in slots 2,4,and 6...It only shows me having 4 gigs of ram. I got a RMA from corsair, thinking it was the ram...But now with the replacement installed, I still only show 4 gigs not 6...

So I'm thinking its the MB settings or pins on the board...I have left everything at default. I don't want to over clock...

Would you be so kind as to give me your pin settings and your Bios settings, so I can utilize the 6gig and soon coming 12gigs of ram.

I have the latest bios #604..

Specs are as follows:
P6x58D Premium motherboard;
Intel XEON 3520;
Corsair Model TR3X6G1600C8 G;
(1) OCZ Solid State Drive 60gig (for OS and installs only);
(1) 500gig WD for photo-shop and data;
Asus EAH 5870 Video Card;
Lite-on iHAS 324-98y DVD-RW;
noctua nh-d14 Cooler

Thanks
rod


----

What OS are you running - is it 32bit or 64bit?
32bit can only address something like 3.6 gigs of RAM.

Does it show the full set of RAM in the BIOS? If not try removing 1 at a time and see if the amount changes. Maybe you could narrow it down to a bad slot.
m
0
l
February 9, 2010 9:24:20 PM

Thanks for writing, I'm running 64bit...

Also I found the problem, it is what I feared...B2 slot was bad....

BUT Newegg was cool about it, gave me a refund and allowed me to order another one, so as to decrease my down time...
m
0
l
February 20, 2010 1:14:10 PM

I built mine last month with the i7 920 CPU, Corsair GB TR3X6G1866C9DF, EVGA GTX 260 and a Ultra X4 850W PS Windows 7 64. And everything is running good.
m
0
l
February 21, 2010 8:44:53 PM

devinj898 said:
Yes it did. IT reads all 12 GB of ram!

Thanks for posting your results on the asus motherboard and memory. I am in the process of
configuring a gaming computer and I downloaded the manual for the P6x58d premium motherboard.
I read the same statement about not being able to put 2 gig in all six slots, bummer.
Glad to hear it worked tho.
Still am confronting the vendor about that statement when they are trying to
sell me 12 gig of ram.
Farmer36
m
0
l
February 26, 2010 3:24:03 PM

devinj898 said:
Yes it did. IT reads all 12 GB of ram!



devinj898,

I also have a similar setup with 12 GB of Corsair TR3X6G1600C8 on Win7 64bit, but only 8 is recognized in BIOS and Windows. CPU-z sees 12GB. I tested all the memory modules individually and they work fine.

It seems the slot B set on the motherboard doesn't recognize the modules, however, ASUS thinks it's the memory.

If you got the same memory modules to work and have all 12 GB available, did you change any BIOS settings? If yes, can you please specify? Thanx!!!
m
0
l
February 26, 2010 6:11:25 PM

G-skill warns about this with their PC 1600's on this board, too.

If you don't want to get the annoying "no hard drive detected" bit just plug your SATA 3 HD into one of the Marvel SATA 6 ports and it goes away.

This thing is wicked fast - especially with the 64-bit OS. I went from XP to 7 and it halved the boot time.

I just wish my bride would let me shut off the mini-SSD preboot. She likes the games on it.
m
0
l
April 1, 2010 7:38:52 AM

I just got this board and built my new rig 4 days ago I installed 6 gigs of Corsair Dominator 1600 Win 7 64 Bit recognized all 6 gigs after the PC has been on for 24 hours or so I have gotten the blue screen of death twice now. When I reboot the pc Win 7 only recognizes 4 Gigs. I hit the Mem ok button and it resets the ram and Win will recognize all 6 gigs again I just don't want to cause long term issues with the rest of my system. Any ideas as to whats failing here the Ram or the MB?
m
0
l
April 25, 2010 1:27:22 PM

I just assembled my new PC and it screams, BUT it's only recognizing 8GB of ram in BIOS and OS rather than the installed 12GB. In the BIOS the RAM was registering at 1066 so I set it to 1600MHz. I update the BIOS to the latest non-beta release.

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=wurRaDZ8lo4Ckukj

Maybe I should try the beta? The mention "Improve memory compatibility".

OS = Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Mobo = Asus P6X58D Premium
CPU = Intel Core i7 920
RAM = CORSAIR XMS3 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
HDD = Intel 80GB SSD SATA II
PS = Kingwin 1000W Modular
m
0
l
October 28, 2010 1:15:02 AM

10/27/10
I'm looking to buy this board as part of a CyberPower PC. Everybody still like this board? Is there enough room for Sapphire 6870 crossfire setup?

If you were going to buy a new board today would you buy it again or another board?
m
0
l
November 6, 2010 5:43:58 PM

mkperrett said:
I have the mobo, but still waiting on the HD5970 video card (next week, sure) before I can report on operation. There are quite a few decent reviews on newegg.com
/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16813131614
As important as the USB 3.0, the mobo also supports the new 6GB/S SATA protocol.
My new sys: P6X58D mobo, Corsair 850W PS, i7-975, Corsair 12GB DDR3, 2x Patriot 128GB SSD in raid0, big data drive and the HD5970


Nice
m
0
l
October 6, 2011 2:36:51 PM

I just ordered the ASUS P6X58D mother board, Processor is the I7-980 six-core, 24gb corsair DDR33 1600. 2T 6.0 SATA hard drives x2 and 2T 3.0 SATA hard drives X6. Dose anyone see anyproblems with this configuration? This is the first computer I am building from scrach. It is going to be loaded with windows 2008r2 enterprise server, with ms exchange 2010, ms sql 2008.

Thanks for you help
m
0
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b å Intel
October 6, 2011 2:48:49 PM

This is an old post.

Personally, I wouldn't be running those Apps - "windows 2008r2 enterprise server, with ms exchange 2010, ms sql 2008." with those components IF the data is mission critical, and instead for a few bucks more run it on a Xeon. BTW - it's been determined that 6x8GB can be run on that setup. Windows 2008 isn't officially support by the P6X58D Premium or -E. Don't make the Marvell as the 'Boot' drive ;) 
m
0
l
October 16, 2011 1:36:28 AM

Scottk517 said:
Any have this Mobo or have a real review of it? I am looking to build a x58 system and am deciding whether to get the USB 3.0 or not. Just looking for an honest opinion.

Thanks

Scott


I have the Asus P6T (base) bought in März 2010 and had asked the computershop to install even a Sharkoon/Nec/Renesas USB3.0 controller. After that I bought the external harddrive 'IoMega eGo' with USB3.0 and 2TB.
The eGo harddrive from IoMega was/is no succes:
- it give a terrible noise (if there is an aquariumpomp in my livingroom which gives the whole day strong bubble-noices)
- I have every day when I use the hdd, to put the drive on or of, it's not going from itselfs.
- the USB3.0 plugin from the cable is okay (so I can watch it), but I have even to wrench the cable before It goes on, without my wrenches the hdd stay out.

The service from IoMega in the Netherlands is very terrible, they gave/give me no service for all my complaints.... despite my 5-year guarantee :fou:  :fou:  Even after an automatic firmware (driver) update it went wrong; the automatic update-service had stopped and a month later, the USB-controller went out of order :cry:  So if I'm happy about my USB3.0 controller: NO, about IOmega: NO.

The firmware update and the controller-error had something to do with: "Controller LSI µPD720201 and µPD720202"
Now I don't use the controller, the USB 2.0 (backwards) have even no fuction now. Because of my illnesses (I'm bedridden) I cannot put more energy in those bad company or in the controller-eror.

So I should not install a USB.30 controller in your to build computer, read the , take sata III

So I thought my complaints about the 'IOmega eGo' to that company was the only error... but also my only he harddrive the right choise
m
0
l
August 14, 2012 5:13:53 PM

jaquith said:
This is an old post.

Personally, I wouldn't be running those Apps - "windows 2008r2 enterprise server, with ms exchange 2010, ms sql 2008." with those components IF the data is mission critical, and instead for a few bucks more run it on a Xeon. BTW - it's been determined that 6x8GB can be run on that setup. Windows 2008 isn't officially support by the P6X58D Premium or -E. Don't make the Marvell as the 'Boot' drive ;) 


How does the P6X58D run the Xeon? ASUS doesn't list any support for the Xeon processors??
m
0
l
!