Broken USB 3 connector on Ext HDD

Tags:
  • USB3
  • Hard Drives
  • External Hard Drive
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
March 26, 2011 11:41:03 PM

I have a Western Digital MyBook 3.0 USB 3.0 external HDD (WDBAAK0010HCH-NESN). I broke the USB 3.0 connection socket right off the board on this device. Is it possible for me to order another board for this? It's the board that connects to the SATA/Power connector of the HDD and converts it to USB 3.0 / AC.

The only #'s on this are:
MSYM3073410005A9
4061-705077-003 REV. AB

More about : broken usb connector ext hdd

March 27, 2011 3:28:20 AM

Have you tried opening the case yet? All external HDD's are just internal HDD's with a fancy case. i had a similar problem, and all i did was open up the case and unplug the internal HDD, and it comes right out. as for a replacment case, you might want to contact western digital and see if they sell just the case, or best buy even sells HDD cases. beware though, opening the case will most likely void warranty, but i assume if you had a warranty, you would go there first.
March 27, 2011 1:47:43 PM

I have removed the HDD and plan on connecting it to another computer. I'm sure the HDD will be fine and I've already opened a case with WDD. I may just buy an external HDD if the part ends up costing more.
Related resources
April 13, 2011 3:08:45 PM

Mainer82 said:
I have removed the HDD and plan on connecting it to another computer. I'm sure the HDD will be fine and I've already opened a case with WDD. I may just buy an external HDD if the part ends up costing more.

Did this work for you? I was told by Western Digital that this would not work, as somehow the case encrypts the drive and you cannot operate the drive outside the case. Sounded like BS when i heard it.
April 13, 2011 3:23:55 PM

I installed the HDD into a desktop and was able to add/remove data. I purchased an external USB 3 HDD enclosure and it works great. There's no encryption on this particular model. If there was, you could just format it.
April 13, 2011 4:25:57 PM

great, thanks for the update!
May 22, 2011 5:18:46 PM

Mainer82 said:
I installed the HDD into a desktop and was able to add/remove data. I purchased an external USB 3 HDD enclosure and it works great. There's no encryption on this particular model. If there was, you could just format it.

I also broke the USB3 connector. HDD removed from enclosure, put in a desktop, but it remains invisible. However, during system setup its presence can be seen. Could you help me please.
!