Sign in with
Your question

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H and Rocket RAID 2310

Last response: in Motherboards
December 29, 2009 5:02:02 AM

Hi everyone! I'm trying to set the BIOS on the Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H to boot off a SCSI board so that I can use my Highpoint Rocket RAID 2310 card. However, I cannot find that option. Is there another way around this?
December 31, 2009 11:02:33 AM

I guess there's no solution to this, except use the on-board SATA ports. I was hoping someone would know a solution to this, since the Rocket Raid card would allow me to hot swap drives and also provide an audible alarm if one of the drives would fail. Anyone have any experience on this? Thanks! :??: 
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
December 31, 2009 1:33:37 PM

In the BIOS, on the "Advanced BIOS Features" page, you need to have one of "First/Second/Third Boot Device" set to 'Hard Disk'; then, select the "Hard Disk Boot Priority" item, and you should see a 'Bootable Add-on Cards' item at the bottom of the list; cursor down to it to select it, then hit the plus key a few times to 'promote' it to the top of the list; save, exit, reboot, and you should be good to go...
m
l
Related resources
January 2, 2010 6:24:10 AM

Thanks bilbat, I'll give it a try.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
January 2, 2010 1:28:01 PM

One more caveat - partition to boot must be ≤ 2Tb...
m
l
January 4, 2010 1:26:17 PM

It works now after tweaking the rocket raid's BIOS settings. I can't believe it. The BIOS settings on the motherboard were the same as you suggested. I just needed to change the Rocket Raid's BIOS "Relocate EBDA" (Extended BIOS Data Area) to the disabled state, then update the Rocket Raid's flash. It now boots to some extent, but now it's having some signaling problems (NCQ something) and doesn't continue the boot process. At least it boots now. Thanks for your help bilbat.

:) 
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
January 4, 2010 3:11:56 PM

You likely will benefit from disabling NCQ:
http://techgage.com/article/highpoint_rocketraid_2310/2
Quote:
It should also be noted that NCQ, while supported by the hard drives and both RAID controllers, will be turned off. Unless the hard drives are going to be accessed many time (sic) at once, NCQ creates a bit of system overhead and the resulting numbers reflect this time and time again.

This procedure is covered on page 4-12 of your manual...
m
l
!