Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Does PHENOM 9650 support DDR2 PC-8500 1066Mhz memory ram?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
October 4, 2009 5:42:18 PM

Hello, the following specs:

Motherboard: Msi k9n2 diamond
CPU: Phenom 9650
HD: 500 GB sata
Video card: Gtx 260
PSU: Corsair TX750
RAM: 3gb DDR2 667Mhz

i want to upgrade my ram memory to a corsair dominator 4gb (2x2gb) 1066Mhz (pc-8500), i dont know if the phenom 9650 supports it, if you could also tell me if my motherboard does i would really apreciated....THANKS

the memory i am going to buy is the CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel...
a c 159 à CPUs
a c 128 } Memory
October 5, 2009 12:36:43 AM

I see support for 1066 ram, so if you're lucky, the board will default to the faster speed with just 2 sticks. Sometimes with all ram slots filled, the speed defaults to a lower setting.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
October 5, 2009 1:25:52 AM

Yes, it will support 2 sticks running at 1066mhz. But no more. If you put in 3 or 4 sticks, it will default to 800mhz. So you are "sorta" fine for what you want to do.
I say sorta because the memory you have picked out. It is spendy, and has to run at 2.1 volts, just not great memory in my book.
Search newegg for 1066 memory that runs at a "5" or "6" latency, and also at 1.8 to 1.9 volts. There are several, they are a lot cheaper, and since they run at lower voltage, they are higher quality memory chips.
Rule of thumb, when looking for memory, look for the lowest or closest to 1.8 volt you can find. When you start getting over 2.0 volts.....well, the easiest way to make shitty memory run is to up the voltage, nuff said.
Share
Related resources
October 5, 2009 1:45:12 AM

I just bought 4x1gb 800mhz Ballistix, i have them running 4-4-4-12 and at 1.8v. i tried them at 1066 and it woulndt even boot, BSODs all day! My board will take 8gb of ram, 4x2gb but i found these at a great price, enough for what i need.
m
0
l
October 5, 2009 2:23:24 AM

eshaw380 said:
I just bought 4x1gb 800mhz Ballistix, i have them running 4-4-4-12 and at 1.8v. i tried them at 1066 and it woulndt even boot, BSODs all day! My board will take 8gb of ram, 4x2gb but i found these at a great price, enough for what i need.

ok so you r telling me that you bougth 800mhz memory but you set it to 1066?
m
0
l
October 5, 2009 2:24:04 AM

jitpublisher said:
Yes, it will support 2 sticks running at 1066mhz. But no more. If you put in 3 or 4 sticks, it will default to 800mhz. So you are "sorta" fine for what you want to do.
I say sorta because the memory you have picked out. It is spendy, and has to run at 2.1 volts, just not great memory in my book.
Search newegg for 1066 memory that runs at a "5" or "6" latency, and also at 1.8 to 1.9 volts. There are several, they are a lot cheaper, and since they run at lower voltage, they are higher quality memory chips.
Rule of thumb, when looking for memory, look for the lowest or closest to 1.8 volt you can find. When you start getting over 2.0 volts.....well, the easiest way to make shitty memory run is to up the voltage, nuff said.

hey wats "latency"?
m
0
l
October 5, 2009 12:09:02 PM

Antonioj1015 said:
ok so you r telling me that you bougth 800mhz memory but you set it to 1066?

Yes Crucial's site says it will run ay 1066 with no problems, and after talking to a few that run these I found that the 1066 is really just oced 800 in ddr2. I was having the problem because of the 2 sticks deal. i was trying to set all four at 1066, if i just set the two, runs fine, but im only using 2x1gb then...No good! haha The only thing is the when i run them at 800, i get to set them at tighter timings then at 1066.
m
0
l
!