In-game Stuttering

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Games
  • World Of Warcraft
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
July 4, 2009 3:34:08 PM

Hello all, i have an issue with in game stuttering and I am unsure of what to do. I tried asking in some other fourms but no one helped me fix the problem.

well here it is:

All temps while gaming (CPU,GPU are below 65C.)
i have catalyst 9.6 driver installed.
no overclock on anything except the GPU (930/1130, also tried stock settings didnt help)

i have tried with and without these: AA, vsync, triple buffering, reduce input lag. nothing changes.

Games i have no problems with:
Cod4, TF2, UT3 (all are usually 90+ FPS, didnt play too much UT3 to determine it 100%)

Games i have stuttering problems:
crysis/wars/warhead, WoW (especially in wintergrasp), and fallout 3.

fallout 3 is stuck at 60fps and never drops below 50 but still stutters.
I just got off of WoW. was in dalaran and didnt notice too much stuttering, but when i went into wintergrasp (as always) it has MAJOR stuttering.
Crysis also stutters..

(WoW and crysis are usually below 60fps. Lowered every setting in WoW to Low (exepct reso) and it ran pretty smoothly without stuttering (200+FPS)
I believe i see more stuttering when there are more players around me (not fallout 3 related though).

its not an FPS problem, i can tell whether its lag/FPS/stutter, and this is definitely stuttering.

Hardware:
Sapphire 4890 OCed to 930/1130.
i7 920 D0 stepping
Crosair TX750W PSU
P6T
Zalman 9900 CPU cooler
LG 22x with lightscribe DVD drive
9-9-9-24 3x2GB OCZ DDR3 1333mhz
Antec 1200
Windows 7 RC 7100

Sorry for the very long post but im almost about to give up hope, this stuttering totally ruined my experience and i don't know what to do about it.

More about : game stuttering

July 4, 2009 3:50:57 PM

Uninstall 9.6 and install 9.5? See if that helps.
July 4, 2009 4:26:52 PM

Proximon said:
Uninstall 9.6 and install 9.5? See if that helps.

uninstalled it. tried 9.5 and it didnt solve it, may have made it a bit worse.
Related resources
July 4, 2009 5:43:31 PM

Could be the refresh rate of your monitor. Nvidia has a feature called v-sync that caps your fps to match your monitor. When I first got my new card, I had an issue of like screen tearing etc until I enabled that setting.
July 4, 2009 6:30:37 PM

ohiou_grad_06 said:
Could be the refresh rate of your monitor. Nvidia has a feature called v-sync that caps your fps to match your monitor. When I first got my new card, I had an issue of like screen tearing etc until I enabled that setting.

its not the refresh rate of my monitor.

Ive tried with vsync, with triple buffering, reducing input lag, everything and also without those options and a combination of them. nothing. :X

and i know what screen tearing is, but its not that,

thanks for trying to help out! :) 

Any more ideas please?
July 4, 2009 6:47:26 PM

Have you checked CPU-Z and confirmed the RAM and CPU are running at the right settings?
July 4, 2009 7:02:05 PM

Proximon said:
Have you checked CPU-Z and confirmed the RAM and CPU are running at the right settings?

yes i have, they are fine.
July 4, 2009 7:23:49 PM

I haven't looked at the Windows 7 RC yet. Is there an working XP compatibility mode you could check? Other than that, I have to think it's a driver issue or bad card.
July 4, 2009 9:22:30 PM

Proximon said:
I haven't looked at the Windows 7 RC yet. Is there an working XP compatibility mode you could check? Other than that, I have to think it's a driver issue or bad card.

yeah, i dont hear too much about stuttering games from 4890s. some people do say crysis stutters and also fallout 3, but i never really heard of WoW stutter.. its basicly any game under 75FPS that stutter (not fps/connection lag).

there is a compatibility mode i could check and i will, but i dont think it will fix anything.

as for win7 RC i dont think its that.. its only games that run under 75HZ and not all games.. tbh im unsure. People have been gaming fine on win7 saying its only adding performance compared to vista.

Thinking about going to the guys who sold me it and asking for a RMA but people said it may be the PSU working odd, the CPU, and a million other reasons. :X

Any other thoughts?

Keep 'em pumping! :) 
July 5, 2009 11:19:55 AM

Proximon said:

tried XP compatibility mode. (service pack 2 on WoW) since that was what me and my brother were running all the time.

Didnt fix it :( 

Please help me out here. anything else i should try? What should i do with this PC?
July 12, 2009 11:05:01 PM

I tried with a fresh windows XP and i got nothing. different drivers, running everything @ stock settings. tried a different GPU, tried with only 2GB of ram, tried asking on the AMD and Guru3d fourms as well. i got nothing

What should i try next?
I can still get a full refund for this system, this stuttering is very annoying :X.
July 13, 2009 2:38:16 AM

I would swap out the graphics card. That's the only way you'll get this narrowed down now, swapping out GPU, MB.
July 13, 2009 7:43:30 AM

Proximon said:
I would swap out the graphics card. That's the only way you'll get this narrowed down now, swapping out GPU, MB.

tried to replace the gpu, didn't help :X.

i have an idea.. but it may be a bit crazy, so tell me if im wrong.. here goes :) 
my hard drive is running my operating system and my games.
on windows performance score my hard drive was the lowest rated thing (5.9) with everything else in the 7.5's.

I was thinking mayyyyybe when i run games on very high the hard drive has something to do with it and it just cripples it down. would that cause stuttering or just lower performance?

my hard drive is a Western digital caviar black 32mb cache 500GB space.
(7200RPM)
July 13, 2009 8:17:52 AM

No it's not your hard drive. Try another PCI-E slot.
December 14, 2009 6:40:25 AM

I've got the same issue with that HDD when l run MW2.

It run's fine for a few min then stutters and runs ok again.

Could it possibly be the heads unmounting when its not in use and the game is in memory, then when it needs something from the game files it has to spin up the disk so it jutters.