My mouse randomly disconnects and then reconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vixe

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
My USB mouse (SteelSeries IKARI Laser) keeps randomly disconnecting for 2 seconds and then reconnects. My entire computer freezes for a split second during the disconnect and reconnect phase. I cannot use my mouse when it is disconnected at all, until it is reconnected. All that happens is that I hear the Windows bing sound, indicating that a USB device has been removed, and then I heard another sound indicating a USB device has been inserted. The disconnects occur at random intervals. Sometimes 30 minutes, sometimes 1 minute.

This randomly started happening today after I restarted my PC. I have no viruses or malware on my PC. I reinstalled the drivers, and no help. This problem is very persisting. Please, any help will be appreciated, as I have never seen a problem such as this before.

Note: there's a light on my mouse that remains on at all times even when my mouse disconnects and is incapable of moving. This means that there is still power going to the mouse, and it is not a USB socket problem.

trajor

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Try backwashing your mouse driver to HID-compliant mouse driver [It's a just a bloody mouse. What 'special' features could your particular make and model possibly have?].

Just select manual driver select from a list option. I've had problem just a couple days since I finally ALLOWED Windows update to install updates to my FRESH Vista RE-install. No problem for two weeks; then BANG, mouse problems after microsoft's million updates installed.

Just backwashed to HID-compliant mouse driver and constant disconnect BS has cease for past twenty minutes after two days of CONSTANT recurence EVERY 20 seconds or so.

You do the math............

I'm running Vista 64-bit and am not about to buy mikey-soft's [CASTRATED version of Vista] Windows 7 any time soon - LIKELY NEVER.

Funny how them updates ALWAYS seem tyo CREATE such annoying glitches...
ESPECIALLY when mikey-soft's 'latest and greatest' has just [or is about to] hit the market.

HMMM?!!!

Vixe

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
You joined Tom's Hardware Forum just you can revive a resolved thread and rage about your Windows giving you problems?

It is in fact an HID-compliant mouse. And the "special" features would include macro buttons, toggling DPI settings and FreeMove (straightens the path of the mouse).

And to the above posts asking how it was solved: it was a hardware failure, or more precise, a short-circuit in the cabling. I used the warranty and got it replaced. If you have this problem, then do the same.

trajor

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

BOTH OF MY MICE WORK JUST FINE WITH NO CABLE ISSUES. SUCH PROBLEMS ONLY RECUR WHEN I MAKE THE MISTAKE OF ALLOWING AUTOMATIC UPDATES TO START TAMPERING WITH MY CONFIGURATION. SWITCHING BACK TO THE BASIC DRIVERS WORKS JUST FINE.

PERIOD.

END OF STORY.

trajor

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
AS FOR YOUR SPECIAL FEATURES - WORTHLESS FLUFF ADDED TO AN OTHERWISE SIMPLE AND EFFECTIVE DEVICE. THE SUPPORT APPS THEMSELVES LIKELY DRAG DOWN SYSTEM PERFORMANCE.

FREEMOVE TO STRAIGHTEN THE MOUSE PATH?...
WHAT? ARE YOU NORMALLY TOO STONED TO KEEP THE MOUSE STRAIGHT ON YOUR OWN?

WHO CARES?!!!

IF YOU RESOLVED THE ISSUE, THEN YOUR RESPONSE TO MY POST WAS TOTALLY UNCALLED FOR AND INFLAMMATORY TO BEGIN WITH. JERK!!!

Vixe

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008

You continue to jump to conclusions here ... Just because you activate Windows Updates and you get a problem, does not directly link it to the problem being the operating system. It might be a virus, triggered by a certain update. Or your copy of Windows might be illegal. Download Malwarebytes Antimalware. It's a free, useful utility for scanning for viruses.

How was my post inflammatory? Read it again and maybe you will learn something from it >_> My point was that my mouse-issues were not caused by drivers.

No, it does not drag down performance because the settings are stored on-board the mouse. The add-on program simply accesses those settings on the mouse to change them. I can uninstall the program and the settings will still work. And that FreeMove feature is only useful for fast-paced First Person Shooting gaming. It's useful when aiming at the head in particular, and does not mean I'm "stoned". Here's a picture explaining it.

And last of all, typing in all caps makes you the "inflammatory" "jerk". I replied to your original post to clarify some issues, and to respond to people who have the same problem. I'm only replying to this again to finalize this topic. I won't be replying to it again, so swallow your arrogance and try not to reply to this, because an attitude like yours is highly frowned upon here on THF.

trajor

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010

first of all, I typed caps solely because my caps lock just happened to be on. I personally could not care less about all of the internet im/texting fiend etiquette crap you obsessed types prescribe to. You simply damaged your mouse cable; such is not the case every time. I offered another option to those who DIDN'T break their mouse. You just chose to be a snippy it.

second, there's nothing of use that you could possibly teach me about system configuration and security. Done it by profession for 20 years. So I had just refreshed my OS as I do EVERY few months or so. Professional strength virus protection and firewall [port specific to every individual application - Tedious, but I'm anal that way]. Thus, no virus. I merely neglected to fully disable automatic updates [which does more than just load updates - it alters system service settings as well - among other things]. Updates ran overnight and bang, my mouse got flaky in the morning.

Lastly, DRIVER updates DO frequently cause device failures or otherwise trigger conflicts elsewhere. You would know that if you had a glimmer of a clue about the myriad number of cross-interactions that occur in real life in the IT service field. The lastest and greatest of anything, is not always advisable - especially Microsft updates [the point I was trying to make].

In your case: your fancy mouse [for which I'm sure you overpaid] might have just had some known manufacturing defect. Of course they'd never tell you; they'd just indicate that your cable was damaged.

In my case, backwashing of a couple of those hardware based updates has solved my problem just PERFECTLY.

Simply put: Don't believe everything you're told by some inadequately trained, inexperienced phone support tech who is just reading from a scripted list of problem responses [precisely how most manufacturers operate their support line now - if you didn't know].

Further and especially: there is not always any one single across the board solution to these glitchy problems, junior.

YOU should LEARN that...

Status
Not open for further replies.