Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Laptop GPU Overheating Query

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 25, 2009 6:07:28 AM

I am wondering if I should be alarmed about the temps I'm getting from Speedfan.

I run my laptop like a desktop, leaving it on all day, at high performance power settings and I'm seeing these temps:

GPU--100C
Core--90C

This is not good, no? The laptop (HP pavillion dv2500) is even sitting on top of a 2-fan Targus notebook cooler. I've read posts that say that these laptops don't last very long, people have seen theirs quit after a year.

Perhaps speedfan is not reading the right temperatures. All I did was install the program and don't recall altering any settings or anything. I'm curious why my GPU is reading so hot, because I'm not playing any games, only casual browsing and playing music through WinAmp.

Any suggestions? Should I set the power at Balanced, or Power Saver? The GPU really sucks anyhow and mostly instigated my bid to make my own desktop PC. I don't think I can swap out the vidcard here, thinking that it's hardwired (this I ought to direct to the mobile threads, suppose).

The card is a Nvidia MCP67M if this helps any.

I should also mention that I've had the temperatures down much lower for both readings.*If I could only find that envelope I scribbled the figures on!* One of them read in the 40's and the other maybe in the 60's? Perhaps I will close all programs and set to power saver over night (my sleeping period; i.e. 4-12pm) and see how things cool off then.

Anyway, 100C is crazy right?

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 25, 2009 11:49:15 AM

sounds pretty warm, when was the last time you took a vacuum to the vent on your laptop? (dont touch anything metal with it.)
July 26, 2009 11:47:10 PM

yeah...I've never tried that, but just now...and it dropped it a couple degrees, but I'm still hovering near 100

when i switched the power supply to 'power saver' the readings fell to 70/51, but everything seems to load slowly.

'balanced power' shows no difference compared to 'high performance'.
Score
Related resources
July 31, 2009 12:24:45 AM

I have no idea what I did, but after I reset my computer the temperatures are back to normal (or a lot better anyway).

The old vs new readings of GPU/Core: 100/88 and 78/60

I'm monitoring temperatures with SpeedFan and I must have accidentally hit the wrong button when I was first looking over the program. Anyway, after the reset, things are much much cooler.
Score
July 31, 2009 3:12:37 PM

That's still ludicrously high, you should try compressed air to remove whatever dust is still in there (vacuums aren't the most powerful)
Score
January 11, 2010 7:54:42 AM

massivepepper said:
I have no idea what I did, but after I reset my computer the temperatures are back to normal (or a lot better anyway).

The old vs new readings of GPU/Core: 100/88 and 78/60

I'm monitoring temperatures with SpeedFan and I must have accidentally hit the wrong button when I was first looking over the program. Anyway, after the reset, things are much much cooler.

what did u mean with "reset" ? thats may be helpfull for me. tks
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 16, 2011 4:11:55 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!