Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gamins cpu DUO vs. QUAD

Last response: in CPUs
Share
October 4, 2009 6:37:03 PM

i wanted to ask if im planning to buy a gaming rig...
what type of cpu is better - a dual core cpu with higher frequency or a quad core with a lower frequency?

More about : gamins cpu duo quad

October 4, 2009 7:42:12 PM

A dual core with higher frequency, unless it is an i7 processor. If you're just gaming buy dual, shame you have an lga775 socket? Could have bought a phenom ii x3 processor which would have done nicely for games and is clocked at 2.8ghz. It's black edition to. But the dual core has to have a significantly higher frequency and it's better only if you aren't running background applications on your computer. If you get an e8600, i think it actually beats quad cores clocked at 3ghz for games like Crysis because they are optimised for 2 cores. The majority of first person shooters are optimised for 1 or 2 cores. So you havn't bought the gaming rig yet, i strongly adivse you to think about buying a phenom ii build, choosing a phenom ii 550 be or a phenom ii 720 be edition, the pii 550 be is amazingly cheap, overclocks quite nicely, and is better than the core 2 duo clocked at 2.9ghz. Notice the new phenom ii processors aren't the old athlon or phenom processors, they compete nicely with the intel counterparts. If you want to fo out right performance and spend alot go for a intel processor, if you want a very competative and high end but not extreme gaming system go for AMD. Get a phenom ii 720, should play games very well, since it has 3 cores games don't really benefit from 4 cores unless it is an i7 cpu or you have lots of applications on.

I used to have a pii 545 x2 3ghz but now i have a pii 720 x3 at 2.8ghz. Overclocked it freely to 3.2ghz.
October 4, 2009 8:02:31 PM

im open to anything...
im not sure which CPU to get...be it AMD or INTEL...
its going to have 4gigz of DDR2 1066 CL5 kingston hyperx
SAPPHIRE RADEON HD5850
750gb HD SATA II with 32mb cache...
a HEC 580watt power supply...
and a 24 inch screen...
but im not sure which CPU to get yet...
i do care about price:)  im not going to get an I7/I5 etc....its too expensive...
it will be either a c2d or a quad...
or maybe a phenom...
i need some input:) 
and thanks for the reply
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2009 8:23:13 PM

these days there arent many games that will use more thna two cores, so you'd be better off getting a higher clock dual core.

i'd highly recomend the phenom II 550. its 3.1ghz dual core and has brilliant performance at a great price.

if you buy the right motherboard, its sometimes even possible to unlock the two extra cores to get a fully finctioning quad core.
October 4, 2009 8:26:19 PM

how much is the 5850? If you're really that rich to buy that graphics card go and buy an i7 975 extreme edition lol. And put the 5850 in crossfire x. That's your gaming machine. i don't know much about the new Direct X 11 gpu's but i'm guessing they cost dear. Are you from the UK or US. If you are looking for a processor at £100 buy a phenom ii 720, It's clocked high and it has 3 cores plus it is nice and energy efficient (95 watts) because you have that graphics card, you will be getting stuff like 200 FPS on gaming even if you buy a core 2 duo clocked at 2.6ghz lol. O right 24 inch screen, maybe less. Looking at the things you have thought about it does imply that you are rich lol. 24 inch screen, ati 5850, lol.
October 4, 2009 8:35:48 PM

Nashsafc said:
how much is the 5850? If you're really that rich to buy that graphics card go and buy an i7 975 extreme edition lol. And put the 5850 in crossfire x. That's your gaming machine. i don't know much about the new Direct X 11 gpu's but i'm guessing they cost dear. Are you from the UK or US. If you are looking for a processor at £100 buy a phenom ii 720, It's clocked high and it has 3 cores plus it is nice and energy efficient (95 watts) because you have that graphics card, you will be getting stuff like 200 FPS on gaming even if you buy a core 2 duo clocked at 2.6ghz lol. O right 24 inch screen, maybe less. Looking at the things you have thought about it does imply that you are rich lol. 24 inch screen, ati 5850, lol.


im from israel.
the 5850 isnt THAT costly...compared to a 4890 factory OC'd:)  its about 50$ extra...
where are you from man?? sounds like computer parts there are VERY expensive...
the 5850 is about 370$ if i remember correctly and this whole rig i was writing PLUS an intel E8400 is about 1500$ (with the screen and a dvd burner + a gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L motherboard and an ANTEC case)
October 4, 2009 8:47:52 PM

The e8400 is good stick with it. But actually if you want more cores and want to spend sensibly buy a phenom ii 720. I am from the UK. Lol what is your opinion on the occupation of Palestine.
October 4, 2009 9:08:48 PM

Nashsafc said:
The e8400 is good stick with it. But actually if you want more cores and want to spend sensibly buy a phenom ii 720. I am from the UK. Lol what is your opinion on the occupation of Palestine.


its good but is there anything with more cores and a close frequency for a decent price?:) 
lets stick to computers...i dont think this is the place for political views....
lets just say i am yearning for peace and please leave it at that.
October 4, 2009 9:38:00 PM

Phenom ii x3 LOL. 2.8ghz, and 3.2ghz free overclocking. For me the Core 2 Duo e8400 costs about the same as a Phenom ii 720 BE. hmm this is a tough decision. The phenom 2 720 is a balck edition and so it is multiplier unlocked so nicer overclocking. You can stick it on ddr3 or ddr2 motherboard. It has a third extra core, it is only 200mhz slower. However i think the phenom ii 720 is more evened out for games, for some games e8400 will be slightly better. but for the newer games that are now using more than 2 cores, you will be safer with the phenom ii 720. I think games like GTA 4 and Far Cry 2, also Supreme Commander and i think there are others are making use of 3 cores over 2, and this is where multiple cores blast away from dual cores. i just thought it might be good to get the pii because it is a sensible choice for the money, high clocked, and energy efficient. You get 7.5mb cache with it as well.
October 4, 2009 9:39:29 PM

phenom ii 550be, phenom ii 720be or i7 920 lol
October 4, 2009 9:45:57 PM

Nashsafc said:
Phenom ii x3 LOL. 2.8ghz, and 3.2ghz free overclocking. For me the Core 2 Duo e8400 costs about the same as a Phenom ii 720 BE. hmm this is a tough decision. The phenom 2 720 is a balck edition and so it is multiplier unlocked so nicer overclocking. You can stick it on ddr3 or ddr2 motherboard. It has a third extra core, it is only 200mhz slower. However i think the phenom ii 720 is more evened out for games, for some games e8400 will be slightly better. but for the newer games that are now using more than 2 cores, you will be safer with the phenom ii 720. I think games like GTA 4 and Far Cry 2, also Supreme Commander and i think there are others are making use of 3 cores over 2, and this is where multiple cores blast away from dual cores. i just thought it might be good to get the pii because it is a sensible choice for the money, high clocked, and energy efficient. You get 7.5mb cache with it as well.


Nashsafc said:
phenom ii 550be, phenom ii 720be or i7 920 lol


thanks ill take a look tomorrow on the prices of the phenoms...
see if it makes more sense.
DDR3 is still too expensive i think and im not sure whether its worth anything with its very high latency...
should also check if the motherboards arent too expensive either...
i have actually never tried overclocking but if i get that kind of chip i prolly need good cooling which costs more:)  and then see how i OC it hehe:) 
October 4, 2009 9:59:47 PM

I have a phenom ii 720 you know and i have overclocked it to 3.2ghz. It's like a dual core CPU in terms of temperatures and by that i mean that dual cores are usually running cool. That is the case with this thing. It doesn't use much power and so it is not a redneck hot head lol. Mine hovers around 26 degrees. Just get a decent heatsink and fan, i quite like the look of those Zalman coolers, you can get for around 35 pounds, but there are cheaper coolers available. This thing is not a qx9770 processor. Have adequate air cooling and it will stay at a low temp. This cpu can also unlock into a quad core if you do your resaerch. Because it is actually a quad core liek the pii 550be and the 545 it's just that 1 core is disabled. If you do your research you might be able to unlock it and have all 4 cores working. But anyway, actually comparing 2.8ghz phenom ii quad cores to this 3 core, gaming is actually the same. This saves power as well and runs cool, i am running this thing in a HTPC you know, a reasonably big cube case.
October 4, 2009 10:03:50 PM

Just have sufficient air cooling case fans, a pci fan which exhausts hot air from your case and a cpu cooler for 20 pounds will have this thing at a very low temperature. Apparently you can overclock to 3.7ghz only with this thing (with increasing voltages), but overclocking is really meant to be sensible and not to show off how much times you have doubled the frequency of your processor. If you are doing gaming, this at 3ghz is perfect. You wouldn't need a 4ghz cpu, even to do other multitasking tasks. With this you don't need to increase FSB so you can have your ram working at 1066 or whatever constantly and just increase cpu speed only by increasing the multiplier, makes life soo muc heasier as i have noticed comparing it to the phenom ii 545.
October 4, 2009 10:08:44 PM

Nashsafc said:
I have a phenom ii 720 you know and i have overclocked it to 3.2ghz. It's like a dual core CPU in terms of temperatures and by that i mean that dual cores are usually running cool. That is the case with this thing. It doesn't use much power and so it is not a redneck hot head lol. Mine hovers around 26 degrees. Just get a decent heatsink and fan, i quite like the look of those Zalman coolers, you can get for around 35 pounds, but there are cheaper coolers available. This thing is not a qx9770 processor. Have adequate air cooling and it will stay at a low temp. This cpu can also unlock into a quad core if you do your resaerch. Because it is actually a quad core liek the pii 550be and the 545 it's just that 1 core is disabled. If you do your research you might be able to unlock it and have all 4 cores working. But anyway, actually comparing 2.8ghz phenom ii quad cores to this 3 core, gaming is actually the same. This saves power as well and runs cool, i am running this thing in a HTPC you know, a reasonably big cube case.


i hear that unlocking the disabled cores can sometimes get the cpu to stuck...
i dont care for that:) 
how many cores do u say the 520 has and how many does the 720?
are you using your cpu with the cooler you got with the cpu?? the AMD cooler?
did u only OC by voltage? not changing FSB and memory voltage?
October 4, 2009 10:27:05 PM

i got a third party cooler, i had an arctic cooler freezer pro 64, but it hasn't actually fitted properly in my case because the official fan was too thick so i put an ordinary 80mm x 25mm fan in it. Now i am getting a zalman cnps8700nt. Very nice looking low profile heatsink cooler, with a 110mm fan this time. The arctic freezer has an offical 92mm fan. Just that i couldn't use it. Pretty much with any cpu, don't use the stock cooler, that goes without saying, be nice to your cpu and pamper it lol. The 550 and the 545 have 2 cores. 720 3 cores. 545 is non black edition, my previous cpu, BUT VERY CHEAP. very good for the price, i'm seeing a e7500 for 90 pounds and i look at this which is clocked to 3ghz for 60 pounds. This cpu is about as good as a e7500 at 2.9ghz. AND FOR 60 POUNDS. A bargain definately.
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2009 10:38:57 PM

go for a socket that IS NOT DEAD........................................
October 4, 2009 10:40:14 PM

say is the Phenom II x4 Quad-Core 920 a BE??
cuz its one more core for 30$ more than the 720

nevermind i got the answer to this question:) 
October 4, 2009 10:44:38 PM

werxen said:
go for a socket that IS NOT DEAD........................................


what socket do you mean by that?
and by the way...do sockets really matter? no matter what you get , by the next time you wanna upgrade your socket will be useless
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2009 11:43:45 PM

AMD 720 triple core is a good comprimise to every type of use out there
a c 309 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
October 4, 2009 11:48:02 PM

elasticman said:
im open to anything...
im not sure which CPU to get...be it AMD or INTEL...
its going to have 4gigz of DDR2 1066 CL5 kingston hyperx
SAPPHIRE RADEON HD5850
750gb HD SATA II with 32mb cache...
a HEC 580watt power supply...
and a 24 inch screen...
but im not sure which CPU to get yet...
i do care about price:)  im not going to get an I7/I5 etc....its too expensive...
it will be either a c2d or a quad...
or maybe a phenom...
i need some input:) 
and thanks for the reply

Do you already have some of these parts?

1) With a 5850, any duo or quad clocked at 3.0 or better will drive it well. In the US, a i5-750 costs about $10 more than a E8500, and it is a much stronger cpu. If your game is multi core enabled and cpu intensive, like supreme commander or FSX, then a quad is appropriate. Otherwise a strong duo is a bit better today.

2) The Intel processors have good memory controllers and do not scale well with faster ram or better timings. You can save a bit with ordinary DDR2-800 ram, giving you no appreciable performance hit.

3) HEC is not a familiar PSU name here. It shows up as a tier 5(low quality) unit on this list:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx Do you have access to a tier 2 unit? A low quality PSU is not the place to try to save money.
October 5, 2009 7:34:21 AM

geofelt said:
Do you already have some of these parts?

1) With a 5850, any duo or quad clocked at 3.0 or better will drive it well. In the US, a i5-750 costs about $10 more than a E8500, and it is a much stronger cpu. If your game is multi core enabled and cpu intensive, like supreme commander or FSX, then a quad is appropriate. Otherwise a strong duo is a bit better today.

2) The Intel processors have good memory controllers and do not scale well with faster ram or better timings. You can save a bit with ordinary DDR2-800 ram, giving you no appreciable performance hit.

3) HEC is not a familiar PSU name here. It shows up as a tier 5(low quality) unit on this list:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx Do you have access to a tier 2 unit? A low quality PSU is not the place to try to save money.


i do not have any of these parts yet but have been playing around with the thought so have figured out pretty much what i want.

I5 needs DDR3 doesnt it? and i think it costs more , also , if im not mistaken (still need to check it out) motherboard for I5's are much more expensive so these things will make my overall system price to rise.

DDR2-800 and DDR2-1066 almost have no price difference so it doesnt matter:) 

to my knowledge HEC are pretty good,and the place i buy at , are people i know for years now , and they really know their stuff - they also told me that they are very good. they do have everything else like ThermalTake,OCZ,Enermax,Antec and many more (actually they are the importers of ThermalTake to israel) and they still said HEC are really good..
but ill check out further.
October 5, 2009 9:18:11 AM

E8400 (which is a dead socket) costs about 800~ NIS, the AMD Phenom II X4 920 can be found in about the same costs ("live" socket).
here http://zap.co.il/models.aspx?sog=C-CPU&DB762131=762132&... you can find low cost AMD X2 and X3 which in potential can be unlocked into X4.
E8400 is a great cpu (my girlfriend's computer has it) but the socket is dead, it depends on what you want to do, how much future proof you want to be and your budget.
October 5, 2009 9:23:09 AM

daggs said:
E8400 (which is a dead socket) costs about 800~ NIS, the AMD Phenom II X4 920 can be found in about the same costs ("live" socket).
here http://zap.co.il/models.aspx?sog=C-CPU&DB762131=762132&... you can find low cost AMD X2 and X3 which in potential can be unlocked into X4.
E8400 is a great cpu (my girlfriend's computer has it) but the socket is dead, it depends on what you want to do, how much future proof you want to be and your budget.


i think either way in a year or so all current sockets will be "dead".
i only buy at www.zigzag2000.co.il:) 
i know them for a long time - trust them 100% and they have good prices usually and reliable.
October 5, 2009 9:24:11 AM

Nashsafc said:
The e8400 is good stick with it. But actually if you want more cores and want to spend sensibly buy a phenom ii 720. I am from the UK. Lol what is your opinion on the occupation of Palestine.


LOL GG on that question was thinking the same thing
Well he looks lika nice guy...just hope he doesnt throw stones on poor palestinians xP
October 5, 2009 9:27:36 AM

magekyou said:
LOL GG on that question was thinking the same thing
Well he looks lika nice guy...just hope he doesnt throw stones on poor palestinians xP


why do u get into that ***?
they throw stones at us! if you wanna set things straight.
anyways please stay with computers . this forum is for that , and THAT only
October 5, 2009 9:39:07 AM

Well ur right lets stick to computers, sorry for my insolence

look if you got the budget to get a HD 5850, go for a quad core.
I already made a thread comparing The Phenom II 955 BE vs the i5 and got totally flammed but let's say this...

You can go for the Phenom II 955 BE...a full build will cost you around 70$ more then an i5 build but the socket is fully alive and will soon get 6cores. You also get Crossfire Technology with 2 cards at X16 both (something the i5 miss because of the compatibility of the LGA1156 socket that runs only on dual X8)

Now you have to understand crossfire is looked upon as a benchmark breaking technologi, but you can rather think of it as a budget saver... Let's say you buy that HD5850 and then Nvidia release new ultimate GPU.... Upgrading to that would cost you ~400$....BUT in the meanwhile ATI would have dropped the price of that HD 5850 you bought at 250 -> 150~.
And now for 150, you NEARLY (5~fps?) reached the performance of that ULTIMATE NEW OMFG GPU. So yeah, If you think on keeping that build for long time, CONSIDER crossfire.

Now you can get a full i5 for 70$ less, but you take the risk that the LGA 1156 is a dead end (some say it is, some say it's the new Mainstream socket, but the charts of intel shows that i7 bring them much more money, because it was realeased sooner, so more ppl bought it without considering the i5...) but as i said it's only a RISK. It might actually be the new mainstream socket so when youd want to upgrade, it won't cost you palestinian blood (LOL kk sorry XD) BUT, you don't have full crossfire support...wich is for me, A MASSIVE drawback since I usually keep my rigs...2/3 years?...

On the performance, they perform quitly alike....the i5 outperforms the phenom II by...2fps? 3 fps?...sometimes 5?? so not much of a big deal...
But if u do ALOT more things then only gaming, your better with the i5. But if you'r really more into gaming and Internet-> go for Phenom II 955 BE

Well that's it cousin (Im arab =D)
Have fun constructing your computer and leave me some brothers alive please.
October 5, 2009 9:42:28 AM

WHY DO THEY DELETE MY JOKES??? ><
October 5, 2009 9:45:07 AM

Wow ***, i forgot, and to answer your question, YES dual core is what games will require you but technology advance cousin, Like GTA4 That supports Quad core compatibility. And Quad cores are still overall better then Duo...So yeah difference is a mere 100$, so Quade core is better for long term, Duo is better for the next 6 months.
(Don't forget that a dual core might bottleneck that HD 5850...it was never tested on Duo so we don't have any benchmark for that.)
October 5, 2009 9:55:54 AM

Leave the guy alone. He wants info on CPU's, not biased or uninformed options.

Elasticman - since your getting a pretty powerful PC i'd go with either a Phenom 2 955, or a core i7 860 or a core i7 920. Depends on how much you want to spend really. The 5850 is a powerful card, and if you're looking for a powerful gaming rig, IMO the time of the dual core is over. People go on about clock speed etc, but most modern quads are clocked plenty high enough, and the benefit of having the extra cores will only become more apparent with time. You just have to look at the i7 benchmarks to see this.
October 5, 2009 9:59:08 AM

Exactly what I said.
But IMO going for i7 at 600$? Sir no ty.
i5 performs around same as i7 920, so the extra 100 or 300 more is NOT justified here. You would take the 920 if you consider Crossfire, but then again, the phenom II is way more then enough for that and you pay...300$ less?
WIN.
October 5, 2009 10:01:20 AM

Mousemonkey said:
One man's joke can be another man's insult, but if you want to discuss politics then take it over here:- http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-65-333.html


thanks for your input man.
i dont care if u r arab or whatever...
you are a human being that is how i look at ppl.
dont want to get into politics at all. nothing good comes out of it. only nerves.

October 5, 2009 10:03:49 AM

emyyhh said:
Leave the guy alone. He wants info on CPU's, not biased or uninformed options.

Elasticman - since your getting a pretty powerful PC i'd go with either a Phenom 2 955, or a core i7 860 or a core i7 920. Depends on how much you want to spend really. The 5850 is a powerful card, and if you're looking for a powerful gaming rig, IMO the time of the dual core is over. People go on about clock speed etc, but most modern quads are clocked plenty high enough, and the benefit of having the extra cores will only become more apparent with time. You just have to look at the i7 benchmarks to see this.


magekyou said:
Exactly what I said.
But IMO going for i7 at 600$? Sir no ty.
i5 performs around same as i7 920, so the extra 100 or 300 more is NOT justified here. You would take the 920 if you consider Crossfire, but then again, the phenom II is way more then enough for that and you pay...300$ less?
WIN.


i think all you ppl pushed me further into AMD's arms:) 
ill have to check out what i can get from them and for how much money.
I7 is VERY VERY expensive im gonna stay with less expensive cpus
October 5, 2009 10:18:44 AM

elasticman said:
i think all you ppl pushed me further into AMD's arms:) 
ill have to check out what i can get from them and for how much money.
I7 is VERY VERY expensive im gonna stay with less expensive cpus


Looks like the 955 is the chip for you. I don't know what the prices are like where you are, but over here in the UK the core i5 is pretty much the same price. Both are good, but I'd lean towards the 955.

I'm not very familiar with HEC as a PSU manufacturer - do you have any other options such as Corsair/PC Power and Cooling/Be Quiet? Also, if you're planning on getting a Crossfire setup going in the future, or heavy overclocks, you may want to get a PSU that delivers more current.
October 5, 2009 10:22:20 AM

emyyhh said:
Looks like the 955 is the chip for you. I don't know what the prices are like where you are, but over here in the UK the core i5 is pretty much the same price. Both are good, but I'd lean towards the 955.

I'm not very familiar with HEC as a PSU manufacturer - do you have any other options such as Corsair/PC Power and Cooling/Be Quiet? Also, if you're planning on getting a Crossfire setup going in the future, or heavy overclocks, you may want to get a PSU that delivers more current.


maybe in the future a crossfire would be needed:) 
for now i think i can make do with that system:) 
i CAN get other PSU's but for more money,ill check out if its a big difference.
the 955 is a BE? how many cores does it have?
a b à CPUs
October 5, 2009 10:22:51 AM

elasticman said:
i think all you ppl pushed me further into AMD's arms:) 
ill have to check out what i can get from them and for how much money.
I7 is VERY VERY expensive im gonna stay with less expensive cpus


If you're really on a short budget, go with the 550 and an AM2+ motherboard that support it.

If you could be a bit more flexible, go with the 720, then you could also just buy an AM2+ board that supports this. With an AM2+ board you get DDR2 which is already quite cheap.

If you could spend more, then the 920 or 955 with an AM3 board + ddr3 is the way to go. Though at this level, you might start thinking about the i5, though that is up to you.


* HEC is a decent brand, I've known people that have run rigs on HEC's for years. They might not just necessarily be 80plus certified, but they are stable enough for most users.
October 5, 2009 10:25:07 AM

elasticman said:
i think all you ppl pushed me further into AMD's arms:) 
ill have to check out what i can get from them and for how much money.
I7 is VERY VERY expensive im gonna stay with less expensive cpus


Well dude, If you get the 955BE You gotta consider something,
Buy the right motherboard.
What you will be looking for is a AM3 Socket 790FX <-- the type of mobo that supports Crossfire. The mobo also has to be DDR3 (that's how you recognize a Real AM3 Socket mobo from a AM2+ AM3 compatible mobo)
They cost quite alot....here at canada the best is 196.. it has 4 pci-e 2.0....u can make up to 4 cards on x8 or 3 on x16 or 2 on x16.... I would have prefered something around 150~ and only 2pci-e tho.. :/ 

So yeah once again, i5 is still SLIGHTLY SLIGHTLY better for gaming, but once again NOT if u consider crossfire AND if u dont want to risk that the socket is a dead one.
And AM3 will cost u slightly more...but believe me,If it's gaming you want, it's worth it.
October 5, 2009 10:28:20 AM

elasticman said:
maybe in the future a crossfire would be needed:) 
for now i think i can make do with that system:) 
i CAN get other PSU's but for more money,ill check out if its a big difference.
the 955 is a BE? how many cores does it have?


The 955 is a BE, so easy overclocking. Its quad core 3.2Ghz and pretty fast at stock, but if you want to overclock, i'd get a 3rd party cooler.

I have had an entire system (motherboard, ram cpu) die because of a bad PSU. So i'd highly recommend getting the best one you can, even if it does cost you a bit more. Killing a 955 or a 5850 would be seriously depressing!
October 5, 2009 10:31:57 AM

Well that guy on top made a point, it reminds me of another CPU you might consider...first of all im saying again..forget duo, they ARE good but not for the long term.
And Get a AM3 mobo If you want to keep your computer for pretty long (it's very new so it will last long)

There's also that new cpu AMD Athlon II 620.
It's a quad core for 100$. It goes head to head vs the Q8200 of intel. Just to tell you my friend has a Q6600 (SLIGHTLY less performant then Q8200) with Nvidia 8800GTS 512, he got it last year and he can still play new games like Batman arthingy asylum on maximum 1600xwtv with 60 fps (the limit is the GPU here, it's quite old) So the AMD Athlon II 620 is still very VERY good.
It cost 100$ less then the 955BE But u will still have to go for AM3 Mobo

The difference in performance is Big but at the same time small. Not very big differance in speed, but there is one. But it's small because you will not notice it, since the human eyes can't possibly see more then 60 frames per second. If you consider the Athlon II 620 your good for a year with the HD5850 and good for another year if u crossfire that ***.
Think about it it's 100$ differance .
October 5, 2009 10:51:28 AM

As an answer to what you wrote on top, Socket really matters.
Let's take the 775 Socket for example.
It lasted...2 years i think?
It means u can get a "full" upgrade after one year simply by guying new GPU and new CPU. So yes socket really matters since it saves you money on the long term.

Now to compare
Phenom II 955/MoboAM3/4GBDDR3 -> 496 CANADIAN (less in us, MUCH less since we got the HD5850 at 300$ here while its 260 everywhere else)
i5/Mobo/4GBDDR3-> 426 CANADIAN
AthlonII620/mobo/4GBDDR3-> 401 CANADIAN

That is the base of your computer, now your gonna have to add GPU/PSU/CASE for a full computer. And don't forget those are CAN prices...make it -20 for every component AT LEAST so the phenom build becomes LESS then 436, the i5 less then 386 and the athlon less then 320.

Once again the Phenom and the Athlon have the advantage (and that's quite a big one) of the crossfire over the i5.
The i5 has the advantage of overall performance (around..15 seconds faster i think) such as windows usage and things like that...Wich you can lower by getting a good HDD (Don't consider SSD yet) like the western Digital Black caviar 1TB for 80$ or the seagate 7200.12 1TB for 70$
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
October 5, 2009 11:01:53 AM

magekyou said:
As an answer to what you wrote on top, Socket really matters.
Let's take the 775 Socket for example.
It lasted...2 years i think?

2004 to date albeit with a couple of changes along the way, even though it's EOL you can still get CPU's and motherboards nearly five years after it first appeared.
October 5, 2009 11:06:22 AM

Well that's an information i did not know thank you.
Wow shizzle, 5 years... even I am amazed...Well yeah its quite impressive;
For example, my sister has an Intel celeron D socket 775 with integrated graphics
This computer suck u say??
i just pay 150$ for a Q8200 and 130$ for HD4850 1GB and TADAM-> A gamer PC.
As you can see, Socket is one damn of a thing to consider. A full upgrade for 280$.
October 5, 2009 11:17:38 AM

great inputs:)  lots of things to consider...
is there a difference going from DDR3 to DDR2?
doesnt the latency of DDR3 make it less useful than the DDR2? (lets say at 1066mhz)?
October 5, 2009 11:29:51 AM

well I made a i5 thread called the eternal i5 vs PII fight or something like that...
You can go check it but yeah i got TOTALLY flammed on that one by intel fan boys.I made a small mistake tho it was to choose a AM2+ mobo compatible with AM3 but you should chek it for your final decision between i5 or PII 955 (or even Athlon II 620 now, if I was on a lesser budget then i currently have, I would totaly go for that one witouth regrets.)

I already compared the DDR3 vs DDR2. In fact, there is around no difference. Only thing is DDR3 cost more for a 5% gain i think..... But you don't have a choice here man, the mobo is DDR3 (all new mobo's are) The ram you should consider is 1333MHZ. The new cpus cannot possibly use more then that, so all that fancy 2000mhz is pure waste of cash.

Don't forget that at this level, the gpu is not bottlenecked anymore, so the cpu is not what you should look for. An Athlon II 620 is more then enough if your low on budget. I still recomend Phenom II 955 tho if you have to extra 100$

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

You can refer tho this, only mistake i made tho is the mobo, add 50$ i think? or 40 i forgot...well price have dropped since then...and they are in CAD but yeah i pretty much compare the i5 and PII 955 and as you can see they are head to head.
But with intel fanboys, you can't talk even if your right.
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
October 5, 2009 11:31:41 AM

Moot point, as DDR2 is being phased out it's price is rising so that now it may be cheaper to get a DDR3 kit for the same or less than an equivalent DDR2 kit and in the future DDR2 will just be far too expensive to even consider upgrading just as DDR400 is now, for instance.
October 5, 2009 11:34:01 AM

True that.. But u can still get a 4GB kit for 60$
while 4GB kits on DDR3... I only found 86 minimum.... But yeah it's time to move on... Im gonna build new rig on Xmas so the price will NOT be a problem. They are quite worth the wait.
October 5, 2009 11:42:17 AM

Just something i have to make shure you realize,
On the top build, I matched the i5 with a very basic motherboard, released with the i5, while the 955BE has been matched with an awesome motherboard. Asus man, you can't possibly find better. the difference in price between those motherboards are 90$. That is the ONLY thing that makes i5 budget winner. And once again those 90$ u save by going i5, your gonna lose them if you want to upgrade gpu. Youl have to go with a 300$ instead of a 150$.
October 5, 2009 11:48:30 AM

To give you an intel of what your going for
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct_Dm12ivd4

If the athlon II is not interesting for You since it compare to a year old best performance/price cpu, You might also consider Phenom II 940. It was crowned best gaming cpu for 180$ on tom's and with that HD 5850 your getting, You will get even more FPS then the one's you see on that Video. U save 26$ on the 955BE. (Not worth it IMO but it's still very good to know instead you are missing 20 $)
a b à CPUs
October 5, 2009 12:31:19 PM

elasticman said:
great inputs:)  lots of things to consider...
is there a difference going from DDR3 to DDR2?
doesnt the latency of DDR3 make it less useful than the DDR2? (lets say at 1066mhz)?


Well, 1066 DDR3 would suck compared to a 1066DDR2 with better timings only on benchmarks. When it comes to real world usage, you'd really gain little when going from 1066 DDR3 to 1333 DDR3.
Memory Scaling on Core i7 - Is DDR3-1066 Really the Best Choice?

The money you saved could be put into a better video card, processor or even a hard drive.

It all boils down to your budget and how much parts cost there.

Athlon II X4 620 - budget Quad, should be considered when you are going to do production work (but don't have the cash), for games you could go for the PII 720 instead.

Phenom II X3 720 - Gaming chip on a "budget".

Phenom II X4 920 - If you could afford it

Phenom II X4 955 - best performance (for a logical price) that AMD could offer.
October 5, 2009 12:47:08 PM

thanks all.
i will take everything into consideration and will check out all prices again.
currently i have a problem with my godamn ISP .
for a week now i cannot get into my supplier's site! so only when i get to my girlfriends house can i check prices again:) 
im so pissed its been a week and they cannot fix it yet (everybody who is using them as ISP cannot get into that site...even they cant)
btw - i know of the athlon II X4 620 , i thought about it and now that u guys are recommending it i might think about it again.
i know it lacks the L3 but still...if it can deliver on games, i dont care:) 
this pretty much will be a gaming computer only.
ill have to see how much everything costs.
!