Folder options will not "stick"

This is driving me mad - the problem started some weeks ago but is now
constant. If I set my folders to LIST rather than Icon, then choose to make
all folders like this one it no longer works.......I have run sfc and also
Registry Mechanic, I have applied the tweaks and fixes from Kelly's corner -
I have tried every bit of advice from those who are supposed to know (MVP's)
and nothing fixes this problem.

I want ALL my folders to list files and NOT show Icons - can someone from
Microsoft please find me a fix for this.

WinXP Home, running on an Intel 1.5, 512 mem, 60gig HD, Networked to two
Win98 machines with a router and also connected to broadband internet with
an ADSL modem.

Please help !! anyone at all - Please help !

Peter
7 answers Last reply
More about folder options stick

    When you ask a question here any replies come from other users - not
    Microsoft.

    "Pete" <me@homestead.com> wrote in message
    > This is driving me mad - the problem started some weeks ago but is now
    > constant. If I set my folders to LIST rather than Icon, then choose to
    make
    > all folders like this one it no longer works.......I have run sfc and also
    > Registry Mechanic, I have applied the tweaks and fixes from Kelly's
    corner -
    > I have tried every bit of advice from those who are supposed to know
    (MVP's)
    > and nothing fixes this problem.
    >
    > I want ALL my folders to list files and NOT show Icons - can someone from
    > Microsoft please find me a fix for this.
    >
    > WinXP Home, running on an Intel 1.5, 512 mem, 60gig HD, Networked to two
    > Win98 machines with a router and also connected to broadband internet with
    > an ADSL modem.
    >
    > Please help !! anyone at all - Please help !
    >
    > Peter

    Yup - know that of course - but I also know that Microsoft keep an eye on it
    too - were you not aware then ??

    Peter

    > When you ask a question here any replies come from other users - not
    > Microsoft.
    >
    > "Pete" <me@homestead.com> wrote in message
    > > This is driving me mad - the problem started some weeks ago but is now
    > > constant. If I set my folders to LIST rather than Icon, then choose to
    > make
    > > all folders like this one it no longer works.......I have run sfc and
    also
    > > Registry Mechanic, I have applied the tweaks and fixes from Kelly's
    > corner -
    > > I have tried every bit of advice from those who are supposed to know
    > (MVP's)
    > > and nothing fixes this problem.
    > >
    > > I want ALL my folders to list files and NOT show Icons - can someone
    from
    > > Microsoft please find me a fix for this.
    > >
    > > WinXP Home, running on an Intel 1.5, 512 mem, 60gig HD, Networked to two
    > > Win98 machines with a router and also connected to broadband internet
    with
    > > an ADSL modem.
    > >
    > > Please help !! anyone at all - Please help !
    > >
    > > Peter

    Pete,

    Take a look at Kelly's Site, you probably need to run
    No.2 Increase folder view etc..

    Derek

    > Yup - know that of course - but I also know that Microsoft keep an eye on
    it
    > too - were you not aware then ??
    >
    > Peter
    >

    > "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
    > > When you ask a question here any replies come from other users - not
    > > Microsoft.
    > >
    > > "Pete" <me@homestead.com> wrote in message
    > > > This is driving me mad - the problem started some weeks ago but is now
    > > > constant. If I set my folders to LIST rather than Icon, then choose to
    > > make
    > > > all folders like this one it no longer works.......I have run sfc and
    > also
    > > > Registry Mechanic, I have applied the tweaks and fixes from Kelly's
    > > corner -
    > > > I have tried every bit of advice from those who are supposed to know
    > > (MVP's)
    > > > and nothing fixes this problem.
    > > >
    > > > I want ALL my folders to list files and NOT show Icons - can someone
    > from
    > > > Microsoft please find me a fix for this.
    > > >
    > > > WinXP Home, running on an Intel 1.5, 512 mem, 60gig HD, Networked to
    two
    > > > Win98 machines with a router and also connected to broadband internet
    > with
    > > > an ADSL modem.
    > > >
    > > > Please help !! anyone at all - Please help !
    > > >
    > > > Peter

    Hi - been there and done that - I have run a number of tweaks that "might"
    fix it but nothing does - most annoying. None of the XP experts seem to be
    able to solve this one

    Thanks for your response - I appreciate that

    Peter

    "Derek" <xxxxx@xxxxx.com> wrote in message
    > Pete,
    >
    > Take a look at Kelly's Site, you probably need to run
    > No.2 Increase folder view etc..
    >
    > Derek
    >

    > "Pete" <me@homestead.com> wrote in message
    > > Yup - know that of course - but I also know that Microsoft keep an eye
    on
    > it
    > > too - were you not aware then ??
    > >
    > > Peter
    > >

    > > "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
    > > > When you ask a question here any replies come from other users - not
    > > > Microsoft.
    > > >
    > > > "Pete" <me@homestead.com> wrote in message
    > > > make
    > > also
    > > > corner -
    > > > (MVP's)

    > > from

    > two
    > > with

    And if you ask they most likely won't answer, even if they were going too.

    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

    "Pete" <me@homestead.com> wrote in message news:x93Hc.2135$iw3.1924@clgrps13...
    > Yup - know that of course - but I also know that Microsoft keep an eye on it
    > too - were you not aware then ??
    >
    > Peter
    >

    > "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
    > > When you ask a question here any replies come from other users - not
    > > Microsoft.
    > >
    > > "Pete" <me@homestead.com> wrote in message
    > > > This is driving me mad - the problem started some weeks ago but is now
    > > > constant. If I set my folders to LIST rather than Icon, then choose to
    > > make
    > > > all folders like this one it no longer works.......I have run sfc and
    > also
    > > > Registry Mechanic, I have applied the tweaks and fixes from Kelly's
    > > corner -
    > > > I have tried every bit of advice from those who are supposed to know
    > > (MVP's)
    > > > and nothing fixes this problem.
    > > >
    > > > I want ALL my folders to list files and NOT show Icons - can someone
    > from
    > > > Microsoft please find me a fix for this.
    > > >
    > > > WinXP Home, running on an Intel 1.5, 512 mem, 60gig HD, Networked to two
    > > > Win98 machines with a router and also connected to broadband internet
    > with
    > > > an ADSL modem.
    > > >
    > > > Please help !! anyone at all - Please help !
    > > >
    > > > Peter

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Understanding Saved Views and Browsing Folders
    In Windows 2000 Professional, the view you use is not always permanently saved in Windows Explorer. You can control whether the views you use are saved permanently or temporarily by using the Remember each folder's view settings check box on the View tab of the Folder Options dialog box (see figure 9.3).

    By default the Remember each folder's view settings option is enabled. When you choose to leave this setting enabled, the following happens:

    a.. The changes you make to a folder's view is automatically saved when you close the folder.
    b.. The view you use to view one folder is not applied to other folders.
    c.. When you open a folder, it opens in the view you used when you last viewed it.
    When you clear the check box for Remember each folder's view settings, the following happens:

    a.. When you start Windows Explorer, the first folder you view displays in the folder's saved view. Windows Explorer holds that view in temporary memory and applies it to all the folders that you visit while Windows Explorer remains open unless you manually alter the view.
    b.. As you browse to other folders (after the initial folder is opened), the saved view for each folder is ignored, and when you quit Windows Explorer, the folder view that you have been using to view multiple folders is deleted from temporary memory.
    c.. The next time you open Windows Explorer, once again, it is the saved view of the first folder you open that determines how you view multiple folders.
    Setting All Folders to the Same View
    Some users want to have all their Windows Explorer folders set to the same view. In Windows 2000 Professional, the default setting is that any change made to a folder's view is automatically saved when you close the folder and is not applied to other folders. However, you can set all folders to the same view by using the Folder Options command as described in the following procedure.

    To set all folders to the same view
    1.. In My Computer or Windows Explorer, set the view to your preference.
    2.. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
    3.. In the Folder Options dialog box, click the View tab.
    4.. Under Folder Views, click Like Current Folder.
    Important The Remember each folder's view settings check box on the View tab of the Folder Options dialog box (see Figure 9.3) affects how the view settings of individual folders are applied and saved. For more information about the impact of clearing this check box, see "Understanding Saved Views and Browsing Folders" earlier in this chapter.

    Delete these keys or values from the registry. This will reset many things like saved folder settings.
    Type Regedit in Start - Run
    Right click taskbar and choose Task Manager. Processes tab and end processs for explorer. (your Desktop and Start Menu now disappears).

    In Regedit navigate to each of these keys and delete them
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer and delete the value
    Shellstate

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StreamsMRU (may not exist)
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags

    Then in Task Manager, File - Run type explorer. (Start menu and Desktop come back).

    And check

    NoSaveSettings
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    Data type Range Default value
    REG_DWORD 0 | 1 0

    Description
    Prevents users from saving certain changes to the
    desktop. Users can change the desktop, but some changes,
    such as the positions of open windows and the size and
    position of the taskbar, are not saved when users log
    off. Shortcuts placed on the desktop are always saved.

    This entry stores the setting of the Don't save settings
    at exit Group Policy. Group Policy adds this entry to the
    registry with a value of 1 when you enable the policy. If
    you disable the policy or set it to Not configured, Group
    Policy deletes the entry from the registry and the system
    behaves as though the value is 0.

    Value Meaning
    0 (or not in registry) The policy is disabled or
    not configured. Changes to the desktop are saved.
    1 The policy is enabled. Some changes to the desktop are not saved.

    You have to do Apply To All while in a file folder.
    For each type of object (File Folder, Control Panel, My Computer, etc) that you do an Apply to All in it's clsid and the settings are created/updated at
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Defaults

    as well as a higher set of defaults at
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams
    Settings=

    Plus if you hold down control and click close it also updates
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
    Shellstate=

    typedef struct {
    BOOL fShowAllObjects:1;
    BOOL fShowExtensions:1;
    BOOL fNoConfirmRecycle:1;
    BOOL fShowSysFiles:1;
    BOOL fShowCompColor:1;
    BOOL fDoubleClickInWebView:1;
    BOOL fDesktopHTML:1;
    BOOL fWin95Classic:1;
    BOOL fDontPrettyPath:1;
    BOOL fShowAttribCol:1;
    BOOL fMapNetDrvBtn:1;
    BOOL fShowInfoTip:1;
    BOOL fHideIcons:1;
    BOOL fWebView:1;
    BOOL fFilter:1;
    BOOL fShowSuperHidden:1;
    BOOL fNoNetCrawling:1;
    DWORD dwWin95Unused;
    UINT uWin95Unused;
    LONG lParamSort;
    int iSortDirection;
    UINT version;
    UINT uNotUsed;
    BOOL fSepProcess:1;
    BOOL fStartPanelOn:1;
    BOOL fShowStartPage:1;
    UINT fSpareFlags:13;
    } SHELLSTATE, *LPSHSHELLSTATE;

    "Pete" <me@homestead.com> wrote in message news:kpbHc.10446$2i3.1836@clgrps12...
    > Hi - been there and done that - I have run a number of tweaks that "might"
    > fix it but nothing does - most annoying. None of the XP experts seem to be
    > able to solve this one
    >
    > Thanks for your response - I appreciate that
    >
    > Peter
    >

    > "Derek" <xxxxx@xxxxx.com> wrote in message
    > > Pete,
    > >
    > > Take a look at Kelly's Site, you probably need to run
    > > No.2 Increase folder view etc..
    > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    > >
    > > Derek
    > >

    > > "Pete" <me@homestead.com> wrote in message
    > > > Yup - know that of course - but I also know that Microsoft keep an eye
    > on
    > > it
    > > > too - were you not aware then ??
    > > >
    > > > Peter
    > > >

    > > > "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message

    > now
    > and
    > > > also

    > > > from

    > > two
    > internet
    > > > with

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Hi David

    Well I did all that was suggested and the problem remains. One thing - the
    Explorer policies key

    NoSaveSettings REG_DWORD 0x00000000 (0)

    Now exists - I do not quite understand if this should have changed??

    Peter

Configuration Microsoft Windows XP