Vertex 3 On Sale at Amazon

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Solution
From Anand over at AnandTech:

"for those of you who are wondering, there are big differences between the 120GB Vertex 3 and the 240, more in 24 hours!"

He got an OCZ Vertex 3 120GB ssd. He wanted to compare it to the OCZ Vertex 3 240 GB demo model OCZ sent out for all those preliminary reviews two months ago. In addition he "might" have some additional information about the flash memory OCZ is using - maybe.

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Sorry guys, the Amazon ad says that it ships in 1-2 MONTHS. I did not catch this right away.

Still would like to see opinions on the Crucial 400 and the new 25 nan update to the Intel 510 which is supposed to be an improvement on the 510.

If you are referring to the Intel 320 series ssd's which will be released on Monday, March 28th, then you've got things a little mixed up. The Intel 320 is a mid-level ssd. It is neither an update to the 510 nor an improvement on the 510. The Intel 320 is a SATA II (3 Gb/s), 25nm NAND solid state drive that will replace the Intel X25-M.

Crucial officiallY announced the release of the new C400 M4 will be delayed until the middle of April.

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Thanks for the reply, I read a review on the Intel 510 and the reviewer said that the Intel was coming out with a faster SSD later this year - I must have not really understood what they said. If the 510 series is Intel's best, it does not appear to be as good as the Vertex 3.

I know Anandtech in their review said that the 510 may be more reliable and does not rely on compression techniques like the Vertex 3. That may make it better in real-life applications in some ways but the Vertex 3 beats the the 510 in almost every benchmark and kicks it's a_ _ in several.

I am interested to see what Crucial comes up with. The Vertex 3 appears to be unbeatable at this point but it really hasn't been tested in real-life yet and OCZ appears to have the worst reliability ratings for SSDs.

Intel knows exactly what they are doing.

Several reviews suggest Intel might not be that far off the mark because there is an extremely large base of users that do not have SATA III (6 Gb/s) capability. Ever since I found out the 320 was a SATA II (3 Gb/s) ssd I'v been wondering about it because of an article right here at Tom's Hardware a while back indicating the vast majority of users were still using Intel dual core based systems. That means they don't have SATA III capabilities. One of the reviews went so far as to say users with SATA III (6 Gb/s) systems are a drop in the bucket compared to users with SATA II (3 Gb/s) systems. This morning I read a news article on the home page of Tom's Hardware. In that article Intel claims there are over one billion SATA II (3 Gb/s) pc's around the world. Looks like Intel knows what they are doing - going for the bread and butter - lots of it.

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
I see your point. It appears that Intel is trying to introduce a mid-level improvement on their successful x25. From what the Tom's hardware review, it appears that the 320 is not that great an improvement. It appears that the Vertex 3 and other Sata III SSDs will run on SATA II connections very well. Again, why would someone pay $200 + for the Intel 320 120 GB when the Vertex 3 is hovering around $250 -$275 and it outperforms the 320 on Sata II?

I did not realize how many Sata II users there were and how many Intel Duo users are still out there. It really is stunning. Thanks for the information. Not everyone on this forum is as well informed as you.

From Anand over at AnandTech:

"for those of you who are wondering, there are big differences between the 120GB Vertex 3 and the 240, more in 24 hours!"

He got an OCZ Vertex 3 120GB ssd. He wanted to compare it to the OCZ Vertex 3 240 GB demo model OCZ sent out for all those preliminary reviews two months ago. In addition he "might" have some additional information about the flash memory OCZ is using - maybe.

Solution

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

Please let us know ASAP - I am sure the the 60G and 120GB SSDs are by far the most valued size. Comparitively very few people are going to fork out the $500 for the 240 GB Vertex 3. Most consumers will be looking the the smaller SSDs because of the huge upfront cost for the 240 GB SSDs. I am sure there is a tremendous amount of interest in the real-world performance of the 120 GB model.

groberts101

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
he'll just point out the obvious differences in the channel/density layout that all the ones testing the drives already see. The 120 and 240GB V2's running at the same speed is a thing of the past now. We'll surely see these things being tested in more of a "weight-class" type of arrangement from here on out. Which shouldn't be anything new as all the other drives on the market have different speeds for their largest models as well.

Regardless of this, I'm guessing the 120GB V3 will still be at the top of the charts for its "weight-class".

And I'll be amazed if OCZ has the balls to be using spectek nand on these things. Stranger things have happened with that company though.

copy/paste mode complete. lol

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

Possibly, but if the Vertex 2 140 GB is any example, it competed very well with the 240 GB as far as all benchmarks and beat every other SSD other than the Crucial 300. If there is a substantial difference in perfomance between the Vertex 3 120 GB and the 240 GB that would be an important key to making purchase decisions. Especially when the 300 is in sale for $200 right now.

groberts101

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
while that's true, a 120GB V3 will still beat a 128GB C300 in overall performance. Heck, it even holds it's own against the 256GB C300 which tells most how strong the controller really is in the scheme of things.

Prices will drop pretty shortly for the V3 to make that extra jump in expense well worth it, IMO.

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I just read the review at Anantech. I am a little dissapointed but the 120 GB V3 did perform well.

Nakkiel

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011

I didn't catch it either, and ordered it. Oh well, at least its estimate is in 1-2 months, not too bad.