Computer won't boot correctly!

kakuzk

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Hello,
It has been eight months now since my computer last worked, I’m a lazy bastard, can’t help that. It won’t boot normally, it gets stuck on a black screen with a flashing white hyphen at the left top corner of the screen. I’ve tried many things and none of them have worked, I haven’t tried opening my computer with a screwdriver or anything but for an example the “start your computer and press f8 repeatedly” does not do anything. I cannot get to the screen where I could log in, I cannot get to the advanced options menu. However I can get to the screen where I can boot from a CD or BIOS.

What happened eight months ago? I’ll tell you. I was happily browsing through video’s on Youtube and then suddenly this white thing pops up that is like.. scanning for virus’ or something, it happened really fast but I managed to see the word “troijan” or something like that. And then I get the blue screen of death before even having a chance to do anything! I paniced at that moment and shut off the power from my computer since it was the first time I had encountered with the blue screen of death. And when I tried booting the computer again it jammed on the hyphen.

I’d like you to suggest things I could try, at the moment I cannot find the XP installation CD which probably would help a lot with this issue.. I’m also hoping your suggestions won’t include getting that screwdriver and opening the computer since truly, I know nothing of computers and I believe I would only make things worse. Of course if there are some experts, you could tell me through the process step by step and tell me what items I need in it. I really hope I don’t have to go for that.

I want my computer back, I’m very desperate, don’t have much money on a new CD and would like to spend my christmas holiday playing my games that have been ignored for over half a year :C

HELP!?

I have an Asus computer and I use Windows XP btw :eek:

For one thing, if you waited eight months, you couldn't be that desperate.
You need the XP install disk, SP3 preferably, which can be purchased at amazon...etc...
Do the "repair install "of XP, the directions are posted in this forum at the top.
This reloads the OS files but does not erase your personal files.

After doing the repair install, load a professional anti virus, activate it, update it, scan the entire computer.
Don't use any free online antivirus. Use only professional antivirus.

In case the thing still won't go, you can try to recover your files by installing your drive as a second drive on a working computer. Drag your files off the damaged drive and on to a DVD or thumb drive.

Reformat your hard drive and start fresh, reinstall XP, then put your backed up files back on the drive.

No, there is not a lot you can do without the XP install disk.