The bigger the screen, the bigger the card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anomynous

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
I'm planning on an 17 build to use with my 46" 120hz Sony Bravia(1920x1080) and I need to know if a screen that size would need a bigger card. I know that one, lets say Radeon 4890, is enough for Crysis on high at that resolution on a 21" screen, but would I need more power for a 46" screen?

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
screen size has nothing to do with how much power you need from your GPU.

the amount of power your GPU needs is dependent on resolution. (amount of ram too.)

you could have a 10" screen that was 1080p, it would have the same demands as a 100" screen that was 1080p.

1680x1050 (standard monitor resolution) is less demanding than 1920x1080 (standard HDTV resolution.)

Yep. Screen size has nothing to do with performance. It is the resolution you are gaming at.

Example, the 23.6" Asus VK246H monitor has a resolution of 1920 x 1080. The 55" Samsung 55A750 HDTV also has a resolution of 1920 x 1080. Therefore, you should have similar performance when gaming on those screen.

However, if you plug your video card into a 30" Dell 3007WFP which has a resolution of 2560 x 1600, then you are probably in for a world of hurt depending on the video card you have, but nevertheless you will see a decrease in frames per second.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
uh, 1280x1024 is a 4:3 ratio. are we in 1996? standard definition for a monitor is 1680x1050 (standard = the most common, DUH, freaking DUH.. use yer head man), 16:10 ratio. many monitors now are switching to 1920x1080, as it matches the HDTV format, 16:9.

your whole statement about the different HDTV resolutions is such a waste of time. who cares.

yes, there is a large assortment of resolutions that "qualify" for "HDTV." 1920x1080 is the only one im going to reference, as, its the only resolution of any worth.

please dont respond to me again. im done. you are arguing for no good reason.

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
neon is quite right. being standard does not necessarily means being used by most of people.

for the OP, the appropriate words might be "the higher the resolution, more powerful card" (not comfortable with "bigger card" as it might imply something like long nvidia cards. :p)

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
no, my point was that 1680x1050 is easier on video cards than 1920x1080.

that doesnt apply to me. thats a fact. jack.

btw, how was arguing all of the various HDTV resolutions beneficial to the poster of this thread? what did it have to do with what he asked?

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
like i said, yer picking apart a word, instead of looking for the meaning behind it, im sure my post was useful and didnt lose meaning to the poster.

yer just a douche looking for something to argue.

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
ps. standard means "common."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/standard

im guessing you didnt check that dictionary very closely.

tell me again how 1680x1050 isnt a common resolution?

had i said, "1680x1050 is THE standard" it would be a different story. but i said "standard monitor resolution" asin "common monitor resolution." care to inform me how 1680x1050 isnt common? oh wait, your entire argument was that i should have said common, and not standard. but standard can be used the same as common. i guess i win. =]

*he shoots he scores*

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
25: usual, common, or customary: Chairs are standard furniture in American households.

which authority made chairs standard?

you are illiterate my friend. you are arguing english definition. you should quit now.

Status
Not open for further replies.