Sign in with
Your question
Solved

One Surge Suppressor, more than one PC

Last response: in Components
October 4, 2009 9:58:20 PM

Hi

I recently opened an internet cafe and I was wondering if I should get one Surge Suppressor per PC (including the LCD monitor), or can I plug more than one?? and if so, how many can I connect? Also, what about the printers?

I was thinking about connecting 3PCs per Surge Suppresor but I dont know if that is ok, or can it be 2 PCs per suppresor?

I currently have my 2 printers (laser and inkjet) connected to the same suppressor were I have the main PC, plus a 15in flat screen TV.

Though I see that many many surge protectors have more than 6 outlets!

Could you please tell me your opinion.

More about : surge suppressor

October 4, 2009 10:14:39 PM

i dont see the point of using one surge protector per pc. it should still perform the same job.
m
l
October 4, 2009 10:54:56 PM

Most good 5 or 6 plug outlet extensions come with a surge suppressor built in and up to $50,000.00 or more insurance included ,,free..:) 
m
l
Related resources
October 5, 2009 12:20:51 AM

Just get a surge protector that has insurance; most over 5 dollars do and cover ridiculous amounts like $25k which if you are running 25k worth of *** you think you could throw down a bit better then 30 bucks on a surge protector. You could also throw down like 80 bucks on a beast that does *** besides have like 10 outlets and insurance up to like a million dollars lol.

I do wonder if there has been a time when someone actually collected on that insurance i mean most modern houses in the like past 20 years should have been properly grounded.
m
l
October 12, 2009 3:39:51 AM

mmm. thanks guys but none actually answered my question, I mean yea OK it would be great that if something were to fail I could us in the first place, isnt it?, which also means to avoid data/time/money loss

BTW, like i said before this is for a bussiness NOT for a home, and even though the place is grounded I work in a bit of a stormy zone, I do know of people with properly grounded places that had appliances fried after a storm, so I guess you cant simply relly on that.

So, does it makes a difference regarding the joules or whatever when using one surge protector with more than one PC, or like you guys made me think it doesnt at all.

thanks in advance
m
l
October 12, 2009 7:27:05 PM

thank you so much for that link, but even though it explains very clearly about how a suppressor works it doesnt say if there is a limit on how many appliances can you connect to a single one, so I guess it really doesnt matter (still in doubt) as long as it has the features they mentioned over there. :??: 

So i will go and buy the best ones I can afford and connect 3 PCs per suppressor
m
l

Best solution

October 13, 2009 7:08:56 PM

shuhu said:
mmm. thanks guys but none actually answered my question, I mean yea OK it would be great that if something were to fail I could us in the first place, isnt it?, which also means to avoid data/time/money loss

BTW, like i said before this is for a bussiness NOT for a home, and even though the place is grounded I work in a bit of a stormy zone, I do know of people with properly grounded places that had appliances fried after a storm, so I guess you cant simply relly on that.

So, does it makes a difference regarding the joules or whatever when using one surge protector with more than one PC, or like you guys made me think it doesnt at all.

thanks in advance

Different surge protectors are rated at different joules. But i mean unless the surge is a lighting strike i don't see having more then a bare-min Most time you can pick out a pretty cheap 2000+ joules protection which for most cases is more then enough. As most surges are tiny and only last a sec or two.

If you are worried about surges frying things by storms which can cause spikes might want to opt for a surge protector with an alarm/auto kill/circle breaker one that can react quickly. This is probably your best bet if you are really worried.

Also there are electrical rating on the surge suppressors...So it really depends on how much your computers draw.
October 13, 2009 7:13:28 PM

Surges are incoming, so you only really need one per power socket (at the wall).
Assuming the surge protectors current rating is the same as your power socket, then you wont need multiple per socket.

Edit: also want to add, if you want to add more for peace of mind, that wont be a problem either, but you only *need* one per power point or a master installed on the switch board.
m
l
October 13, 2009 8:48:30 PM

Um OP i'd be careful because surge suppressors can only handle a certain amount of current, and the warranty thing is only applicable if devices are damaged when the surge protector is running WITHIN SPEC (so too much current from too many devices doesn't count)
m
l
!