Need Help with new rig

senvae

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Hey guys, I'm having issues with a new built I am trying to make. The cpu is a AM2+ Phenom 2 940, with a M3N-HT Deluxe motherboard with Mempipe, Corsair XMS2 2gig 800mhz (x4), and the tower is the Thermaltake Spedo. I am plugging in my 2 GTX280 (though I tried booting it with one only to see if it would help my problem, it didn't), and a Auzentech Prelude 7.1 X-Fi. The power supply is a Ultra X3 1000watts (which has worked fine on other rigs).

My issue is this: Everytime I start the computer, it resets itself every 10 seconds, I never even get to see the bios menu. I tried booting it with one GPU only, and also tried switching the power LED plugs around and I still get the same results. Does anyone have suggestions?

Shnur

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
check if there's anything shorting in the comp, maybe the PSU gets a shorting signal and restarts to protect himself and the system.

senvae

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
nothing appears to be shorting, unless its the mobo itself. Could this be a side effect of a CPU cooler not properly installed? AMD gives you this copper pipe cooler that is too big for the mask, and though it looks like the cpu is covered, you can tell the cooler isn't perfectly flush.

Shnur

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
I would be impressed if it was actually the cooler responsible for the shorting, but anything could happen, under your board or the board itself. Check if it does it only with the board/CPU in.

Lamiel

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
I had the same problem w/my Q9450 build when I first put it together, and YES it was because the HSF wasn't properly seated. I'd check and double-check it...

senvae

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
I'm afraid that in order to fit this heatsink properly I would have to make a few adjustments to the plastic mask and cut a few pieces off. If my problem is not heatsink related, and the mobo has a short in it, then I could be screwed. I heard ASUS are extra anal with their RMA.