6GB of RAM memory installed but only 3.99GB useable???

mynameisjacob

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
This problem is bugging me to the point of me losing sleep. I recently built a computer using:

EVGA X58 SLI LE
Core i7 920 (not OCed)
6GB G.Skill 1600Ghz - (3x2GB)
EVGA GTX 260
Windows 7 64-bit

Since day 1 I've seen this problem where on my computer properties, my memory is shown as "installed memory: 6GB and (3.99GB useable). When I restart the computer, it sometimes comes up as the full 6GB useable and everything is okay. But then it goes back to the 3.99GB useable situation again randomly on some boots.

Does anyone know what may be the problem? Do I need to flash and update my BIOS? Is my RAM modules bad? Or the MOBO's RAM socket bad??

Please please plesae, any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

theguyisback23

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
The main reason (as far as i know)is due to chipset limitations and/or windows version
A 64bit version of windows should use all the memory,at 32 bit systems,the extra memory is handles by windows processes and system.

Something to check: In the search box, type: msconfig Then right click the result, and select "Run As Administrator". That brings up the configuration utility. Click the Boot tab, and then click the Advanced Options button. In that window, there is a setting for Maximum Memory - Make sure the checkbox for it is clear (not checked), then reboot your computer.

moporoco

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
I had the same issue with:
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58
Intel Core i7-920
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

What I noticed was that right after powering the system on, I hid the splash screen and noticed that the RAM was only counting up to 4GB. In Windows it said 6GB of RAM (4GB usable). CPU-Z reported 6GB of RAM.

After hours of troubleshooting I followed a tip to check the pins on the socket of the motherboard. I removed the CPU, placed the mobo under a bright light, and noticed one pin was slightly bent to the side. I straightened it with a tiny flat-head jewelers screwdriver and replaced the CPU. After the next reboot, the BIOS counted up all 6GB of RAM and Windows reported 6GB.

tuffluck

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009

that is a weird ass problem. cannot believe you found the fix.

windows 7 for me picks up 6GB no problem.

Gerrie

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I'm running an MSI mainboard with an i5 CPU & 4GB DDR3 RAM & XFX 9600. Win7 64bit Ultimate initially reported all 4 Gig but after a week reverted to only 1.99GB usable.
Removed the CPU & re-seated it (got this as a possible fix on another forum) - gained the full RAM back.
Now two weeks later & I have the same problem again.
This is haunting me!

towhog66

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
ok maybe you have to do some setting up in bios like i did. i was doing some things in bios and rebooted and after it showed i was only using 3 gigs of my ram out of 4. so i went back and did some more changes... all good now... just something to look in to...

Gerrie

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

-----------------------
Towhog66 - Yeah, this board has soo many settings. Mate of mine with a similar board running an i7 set this up. I've decided to try 2 x 2 GB sticks and will see what happens.
I'm fortunate to have my own computer shop so getting the parts on "appro" is not a big issue.
Still not sure if one of the memory sticks might be faulty though but will check that out on another mobo.
Will definitely have a look at the BIOS settings - thanks for the heads up.

towhog66

Distinguished
May 27, 2009

sweet deal.... any ways let us kn how it gos..... looking ward to seeing what the deal is.... have fun and get some sleep.. hehe

chefboyeb

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010

My second gaming rig has an evga x58 sli le too (check my configuration)... I had the same problem and for a while i thought i had bad sticks, but the sticks were just perfectly fine it turned out... What I did/do everytime i had this problem was enter the bios, go to the memory and voltage section, save my bios settings, and clear the cmos... After doing this, i unplug the power cable from the power supply to power off the mobo completely for a couple of minutes, then i take out each stick of ram and reseat them and with my thumb wiggle/shake them a little bit in the slot to make sure all surfaces are being touched... Finally, i power the board back on, go into bios, load my saved setting, and wait for it to reboot... When it loads windows, i always see all my available ram... All 6gigs... One more thing, if your ram is overclocked to speeds that though they're unstable they still load windows, not all of the available ram would be seen... If that's the case, if the memory is already at the specified volatge you could bump it up a little to obtain stability at your own risk, or better still have it set to rated speed, timing and voltage before starting the above stated proceedure... Goodluck mate...

Voider

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
I might have the solution, If you overclock your processor, your RAM will overclock itself too so that it'll be syncronized with the processor and the other components. That's the problem i had. If you overclock you CPU, take a look at the RAM's frequency and see if that changes. My suggestion is keep the CPU at stock. Because of overclocking the RAM will get unstable because of the frequency it has been overclocked to is too high for the RAM to take. That's why that happens if you suddenly get 6GB usable, but then you reboot, and you've only got 3.99 GB usable.

Gerrie

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

Haven't replied to this post yet - just some feedback!
Some changes which seem to have stabilized my system tremendously - bought an original copy of 64bit Win 7 Home Premium (previous was cracked to play around with Win7). Got rid of the Kingston 2Gig sticks and replaced them (although they tested fine) with Patriot RAM.

Haven't had a problem since. Been pushing the overclocking boundaries a bit to see what happens, but had to replace the PSU as well (CM 700W Silent Pro) and finally went with the ATI 5770 (can "borrow" the monsters from my shop, but can't afford them!).

Got a nice stable setting running the i5 at 4Gig with no ill effects on the RAM issue. Bit frustrating not to know what caused the initial problem though. I have my doubts that a badly "cracked" copy of Win7 can cause these issues, or if it's just a bad install (which we've had before), could also be an issue with the Kingston on the MSI board though I haven't found anything about that.