Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Build:
i7 920
asus p6t deluxe v2
902 antec case
OCZ 6GB ram
4870 vapor x 1gb
prolimatech megahelems ---> Its a tight fit with the 902 case (panel fan touches CPU fan- That could be a good thing if you think about it)
corsair 850HX psu
WD 1TB black

[Not shown]

Scythe Master 4 Fan Controller 5.25inch

I'm having issues with the MoBo. So the cables are more exposed than what I had originally.

Now for your view pleasure: :D

160e9o0.jpg

aczzn6.jpg

35li8vp.jpg

fw6sjk.jpg

2vijmom.jpg

I would like to mention that I plan on RMA my asus p6t board.
My computer ran just fine for 24 hours straight.

I recieved my lapping kit and new CPU cooler (in pictures). I lapped both the CPU and Cooler. I checked the thermal paste and it did not run off.
But when I switched the CPU cooler, I think I may have ESD the board.
Right now the Fans, LED, HD turn on. But no input/output device's work including the monitor. No power goes to the output device's behind the computer.
I have working parts, and I have properly plugged everything in. PSU obviously works and i'm 100% confident that my RAM is working.

I would like to know your opinion of this problem, hopefully this will help others in the future.
Oh and please comment on pictures! :bounce:

SDSUMarcus01

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Maybe when you took out the cpu to lap it you didn't put it back into the slot correctly. Did you check that? Do you have a speaker in your case? What do the beep messages say when you try to boot up the pc?

itsgrandpa

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
lol i can have America's Army open + several windows open and downloading 500KB/s on bittorrent and CPU is only 40%

I snagged this from my old PC. Its bigger than what is normally marketed now, but I haven't gotten any beeps including when there is no RAM. and i've plugged it both ways.
2uyohdt.jpg

G

no clue but try only 1 ram, if it still doesnt work try 1 old ram ddr2, then bios updates beside that no clue... hope it helps...

itsgrandpa

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
I appreciate your concern but if the 8 pin connector was plugged in how would you image it being positioned. In my opinion you would see the connector square and it would appear more naturally. In the picture you can barely see the outline of the plastic box containing the pins in the 2x4 design.
No offense, but are people who ask for help really that oblivious to simple plug-in situations? I don't want to degrade the integrity of this website but really?

Anyways I RMA'd the board back to NewEgg after having to reply to an email because they thought I was asking for advice. They recieved my shipment on Wendesday morning, I have not received any feedback from their side so far...

I checked their website...
07/08/2009 05:02:00 OUT FOR DELIVERY
So i should recieve it today or tommorrow...

You just posted a response in the "READ before posting about boot problems!" sticky indicating that the problem WAS IN FACT not plugging in the CPU power connector. That's easily the #1 noob mistake and why it's #2 on the checklist right behind reading the freakin' manual.

itsgrandpa

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Get your eyes checked, and take some of your own advice and read my posts. A second look and with a little logic you will understand my perspective.
The picture is a direct birds eye view of my case.
I wonder if you have ever bent a 8 cables, with thick housing, 180 degree's. For one, it doesn't bend easily and even more so it doesn't like to stay put. Now that might change your previous opinion.

EDIT: Its actually a 270 degree bend going into the board.

itsgrandpa

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Alrighty, so i finally received my MOBO on Wendesday. I've been playing around with it and I've already begun to notice that is it has gotten a little slower.... maybe thats just me...

Anyways, so i read a little bit into how to overclock and right now I have it a 3.355 with Turbo Mode

Is there anything I can do to increase te speed etc? run things quicker

strandwolf

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008

oohkay, now don't git all riled, gramps. We're here to help but ya gotta cooperate now, ya know? These newfangled contraptions.... You want fast, eh? We can do that. Not so fast that you'll cook things, though. Gotta watch the heat, now. It's akin to blood pressure is one way to view it. What is your i7 920 batch number? Some are known to be real wizzers, relatively speaking.

itsgrandpa

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Yes, I was fairly harsh, I would agree it was not fully warranted.

So I purchased the D0 version. Also, I would like my system to be more quick than fast - I have only used about 40GB's on the HD including windows 7. But it seems a little slower than my expectations.
I just recently moved back to window's (previously used a mac). So I will humble myself, would it be necessary to defragment my HD? I'm assuming that the fact I am using a 1TB HD (WD Black Calv) is a source of slowness.

My CPU is running at around "34C" idle, since I did a rushed lapping so I will have to work to get it flat at a later time.
I've using Realtemp, CPU-Z and Everest as they are "first-hand" reliable programs.
Prime95 is good as it pushes my system.
Everest pushes my system harder, to the point that it starts glitching every few second...
Anyone know why that might possibly occur?

I changed the BUS speed to 158.9 to get the RAM running just under 1600 without issue's. I plan on turning the Turbo mode off soon as I do not notice a difference with or without it. I have left the voltage's alone since it is not completely necessary at such a low OC.

Also, I notice when I am using my computer, even when running game's it will only run at a 12 multiplier instead of 20. Even at time's it will drop to 8x according to CPU-Z. I don't have an issue during the game as it runs butter smooth.
It just bother's me that I receive delay when opening programs.
When those SSD drop in price I'm getting one, I think that would improve the agility of the rig.

EDIT 7/19:
So I underclocked it to 2.4gb and strangely it seems much more zippy. I'm not sure what that is all about... temps run fairly similar. Everest runs the same, with a hitch every couple seconds.
It seems like the 920's love to drop the multiplier to 12x. Does anyone notice any lack of performance from this feature? Would it be beneficial to "lock" it at 20x?