When would be a good time to build a system?

wongster

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Hello all,

this is my first post :)

I am looking to build a new system (also my first) and was wondering what you guys think would be a good time to purchase parts, given what new technologies will be available ? My main concern is price and would like to get a system with an i7 and an ssd. Budget would be ~$1200

Thank you kindly.

armi

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Buy whenever you need to. You'll probably have enough saved up when you need another computer.

USB 3.0 is coming out isn't it?

wongster

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
thanks for the input.

i want to wait for usb 3.0 as well. if i buy parts before it is released will anything bottleneck because of the parts of today?

armi

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
It might.

If you are iffy about building, but are building soon anyway, you can buy parts that don't really change like computer cases and cables while you wait for everything to release.

i5, SSD price and longterm maintenance/performance, USB3.0, "300" or "5xxx" vid cards . . . I guess you could wait forever.

If I could wait for i5, I would. If not, you can deal with the rest of the issues by going i7 or AMD, and not investing a lot in disk (ie no Velociraptors) or vid card (get good enough for now, not overkill). Add/replace next year. IMHO, you won't really miss USB 3.0.