How do you ftp larger than 10gbs to multiple comps or alternate method

yokazuma0

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
I have 3 computers that need to be able to transfer media over the internet such as photoshop photos and the files are about 2 gb ea, with a total of around 40 photos in a folder. i'm looking for the easiest/best way to transfer these through either a ftp program (100$ a yr maximum) or some other means. please give me some ideas, links, or anything helpful. thanks!

yokazuma0

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
alright, so i saw that ftp sites charge a lot just for storage and also have monthly bandwidths; i read that you can create your own server through the filezilla quite easily but to transfer files to other computers not on the network you would have to open ports on each router. I'm wondering that if i make, say, computer A the host...then would computer B and C be able to drag and drop files from their computer for computer A to grab from the server as well, or can only computer A place files for only B and C to download?

yokazuma0

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
yeah, over public internet. I'm doing this for someone i know and they are paying me to do it. If it was my choice, i would just have an external hard drive that i exchange between people.

OK - so to answer your question the FTP server is passive - it sits there and waits for client systems to make upload or download requests. So if Computer A is the server, then Computers B and C can (using FileZilla as a client) drag and drop files to or from it (assuming you've opened the necessary ports in your firewall/router). But Computer B can't drag things to Computer C or vice versa (at least not unless they have some other means of communication between them).

Whether a client system (B or C in the above example) can upload or download can be controlled by security settings on the server. I'm not familiar with using FileZilla as a server but I expect it has options to allow/disallow uploads and/or downloads on specific folders.