trogbard

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Hi all,

I have a gtx 460 that is factory superoverclocked and i have just started monitoring temps and see that it idles at around 50 c and gets u to 74 c when playing mass battles in sc2.

Is this safe temps?

Solution
My gtx460 768mb sits around 30-35 idle and rarely gets higher than 60 while playing games, even when its OCed to 850mhz. The fan ramps up to ensure that the card stays at 60%. . I have manually set the points for fan operation but the auto control seems to be doing a quieter job.

I'm guessing that your fan speed is not ramping up as fast as it could be, probably because of a software fan controller. You can probably change the fan speed settings in the utility that came with your graphics card. Also, CPUID shows me my fan speed %.

But 74 isn't too bad. You would be fine leaving it at that temp. But it could be lowered by speeding up the fan.

I should note that I put a 5 inch fan (not sure the mm size because its scratched off) that...

dominionz

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I'm currently running two EVGA GTX 460 SSC+ (super super clocked) and EVGA Precision show's them idle at 39 and 29 respectively. During gaming they approach 60 c but then the fan's ramp up. What program are you using to see the temps? Do you have good airflow in your case? According to Nvidia specs the 460's max temp is 104c so regardless i think you're ok.

trogbard

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
I am running starcraft 2 and everytime I play it goes into the 70s(it was up to 74c last night). I think that I have OK airflow in my case(antec 300). I am contemplating purchasing one of the optional fans that will blow directly onto the graphics card. do you think that will help?

Can this reduce the effective life of my video card?

dominionz

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I don't see it as a problem. Better airflow to the card will help of course if you're not comfortable with the temps it's running at. The temps are normal as far as i can tell. Mine are lower cause my PC is in a cool room temp wise and i have a full tower case with good airflow. Even with that i still ordered a 200mm fan that mounts on the side of the case to blow directly on my 2 460's. Cooler is always better in my book

phingerbang

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
My gtx460 768mb sits around 30-35 idle and rarely gets higher than 60 while playing games, even when its OCed to 850mhz. The fan ramps up to ensure that the card stays at 60%. . I have manually set the points for fan operation but the auto control seems to be doing a quieter job.

I'm guessing that your fan speed is not ramping up as fast as it could be, probably because of a software fan controller. You can probably change the fan speed settings in the utility that came with your graphics card. Also, CPUID shows me my fan speed %.

But 74 isn't too bad. You would be fine leaving it at that temp. But it could be lowered by speeding up the fan.

I should note that I put a 5 inch fan (not sure the mm size because its scratched off) that blows directly onto my GPU hea tpipes (ASUS uses heat pipes on the card) and it lowered temps around 4C under a heavy load. I set the GPU fan speed to a constant setting for testing.

Solution