Hook up to Fan controller?

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
Is it possible to hook up a video card's fan to my Scythe fan controller? I know that most fan's on a video card use a smaller connector than the 3-pin found on my case fans. Also, I would like to regulate my gpu temperature with the small thermal probes that came with the fan controller. Where should I put it to get an accurate reading? I have an evga gtx 275 ftw. Thx!

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
well i dont exactly kno too much about fan controllers because i do not own one. However, with a fan controller, i'm guessing all it does is provides power but limits/increases it according to the knobs. So even if it doesnt fit, you might just make an adapter for it just to receive power

I would NOT have extra hardware control the fan on the video card. It already has its own controller.

If you wish to, you can adapt it, just loose the PWM wire if it was one.

I DID run a Accelero X2 at full speed with an adapter(based on a standard 3 pin fan cable) I made, but it was silent and the only reason i did it.

As for temperature probe location? right behind the gpu or in the air path of the cooler(right at the exhaust)

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005

I was thinking of using the external fan controller for a AC Xtreme GTX cooler. All I would have to do then is take off the small plastic head on the fan wire and connect it to a standard 3 pin? Also, why would I have to take off the PWM wire, doesn't that tell my external controller the fan RPM's?

PWM or pulse width modulation(its the 4th wire not the 3rd) is another way to control fan speed not monitoring it. Most fans do not control speed in the fashion(i am not sure about yours, if it does, leave the pwn in) and instead use voltage. That is the reason why i suggest removing it since there will be no where for it to go.