Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Blu Ray playback skips occasionally

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 25, 2009 9:04:01 PM

i wasn't sure what category to put this thread in, but thanks anyways for taking a look at what i have to say.

i have a blu-ray player in my computer and recently when i play blu ray movies the image and sounds skips for a fraction of a second, recently its been kind of annoying, the first blu ray i watched was fine and dvds dont skip (yet) but the last 2 blu rays ive watched skip about every 10 mins or so. the blu ray reader i bought is in the link below:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

my System is:

Built: February 2009
CPU: AMD 7750 2.7 GHz
GPU: ATI Sapphire 4850 512 MB Memory
Memory: 4 GB DDR2 1066 MHz Gskill PC2-8500
Mother board: Asus M3A78-EM
Blu Ray Reader: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...
PSU: 550 Watt Cooler Master
July 25, 2009 9:25:28 PM

What is your GPU driver version? Try allso defragment your hard drives. Frame skipping can be memory related (not anough memory for caching the frames), BD-player related (reading errors) or a GPU-driver bug. Your systems seems to be fast enoug for this, it should not be the problem.
Score
July 25, 2009 9:59:08 PM

hannibal said:
What is your GPU driver version? Try allso defragment your hard drives. Frame skipping can be memory related (not anough memory for caching the frames), BD-player related (reading errors) or a GPU-driver bug. Your systems seems to be fast enoug for this, it should not be the problem.

My video drivers are up to date, i just defragmented my hard drives, is it possible that i have a faulty blu ray player? (i really hope this is no the case)
Score
Related resources
July 25, 2009 10:20:37 PM

Can you check anywhere if there is difference in bit rates between those movies?
I have some reading errors with DVD-disk by my self. In tv series most disk playes just fine, and one of them didn't play well. It was one disk in B5 series. I did get new disks from the shops and the same disk still had problems. On other readers the same disk did't have any problems at all, so I was forsed to realise that by DVD-reader had very bad error correction. In your case I would try some more disks to see if there is more differencies between the discs. If most of them plays fine and only some not, you have a "picky" BD-player. It is guite possible that all are guite many of the same series player are allso picky, so changing to new may not be any better, but try it only if only some discs have problems. If most of the discs have problems reasing you have to start guite difficult trying session of changing one thing and the one another to chase the problem. If you have a friend you could try to put your BD player to his machine and try the same movie. Then it can be possible to see if the player is the one that has problems with the disks. Allso some times bacround programs like antivirus-programs can cause stalls, but it is easy to chek that out by trying the same movie again.
Score
July 25, 2009 11:02:04 PM

hannibal said:
Can you check anywhere if there is difference in bit rates between those movies?
I have some reading errors with DVD-disk by my self. In tv series most disk playes just fine, and one of them didn't play well. It was one disk in B5 series. I did get new disks from the shops and the same disk still had problems. On other readers the same disk did't have any problems at all, so I was forsed to realise that by DVD-reader had very bad error correction. In your case I would try some more disks to see if there is more differencies between the discs. If most of them plays fine and only some not, you have a "picky" BD-player. It is guite possible that all are guite many of the same series player are allso picky, so changing to new may not be any better, but try it only if only some discs have problems. If most of the discs have problems reasing you have to start guite difficult trying session of changing one thing and the one another to chase the problem. If you have a friend you could try to put your BD player to his machine and try the same movie. Then it can be possible to see if the player is the one that has problems with the disks. Allso some times bacround programs like antivirus-programs can cause stalls, but it is easy to chek that out by trying the same movie again.

i think the best thing i can do is use a friends computer with my same blu ray drive and see if i get the same problem.

thanks for your help!
Score
July 28, 2009 4:57:53 AM

You did not mention what Blue Ray Playback software you are using....

I don't see any issue with your hardware. I run PowerDVD on 4850 and it works well.

If you are using PowerDVD.... Download the latest update from Cyberlink. Run the BD advisor and make sure that you have GREEN on all categories(SW & HW).

Then play it again...

I'm not sure if PowerDVD has an update to Windows -7. The BD Advisor should check this for you.

I'm running vista-64 and have no clue on PowerDVD with Windows-7. Somebody from this forum may provide the information.
Score
July 28, 2009 2:38:36 PM

I would try and update the firmware of the BD drive. This can be done from the mfg. site.
Score
!