Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Drive crashed disappeared from BIOS?!

Last response: in Storage
March 28, 2011 5:08:19 AM

I have an older build of Athlon XP that I am preparing for my Dad. The boot HDD is a 250GB ATA Maxtor drive, 3yrs old or so... it's been working just fine.

I added a new OCZ SSD (just for testing) and was playing with SATA settings and some other things when it all crashed and I couldn't BOOT at all with the OCZ plugged in... the Maxtor drive wouldn't power up at all. After disconnecting the OCZ it worked fine. Then I upgraded all of my SATA drivers, and reconnected the SATA drives (WD and OCZ) and it's been working fine for the last 3 days.

Then today, while cleaning up data, I got a real bad crash and then my Maxtor drive wasn't showing up in BIOS at all. It basically wasn't powering up. The other drives showed up fine. After a few tries, plug/unplug, Maxtor drive showed up, booted fine, and I ran a complete scan and found NO bad sectors?!

What could have caused all this?

- Maxtor drive is bad
- OCZ SSD is causing issues on older SATA
- My Power supply (Seasonic 250watts) isn't enough for powering all system

I am NOT going to be using my OCZ and WD SATA drives. I am just cleaning up the main boot drive and taking those out to my other system and giving this system to Dad. I wanna make sure the Maxtor doesn't crash just after giving it to him and might as well build a new system (lost of extra time wasted!).

Any help is appreciated!

System:
- Athlon XP 2500+ OCed to XP 3000+
- Thermaltake Copper Heatsink/Panaflo fan
- Asus A7N8X Motherboard
- 1 GB RAM - DDR400
- Radeon 9700 pro
- Maxtor 250 GB ATA
- WD 500GB SATA
- OCZ 80GB SSD SATA
- 2 DVD drives
- Seasonic 250watts PSU

Best solution

March 28, 2011 7:07:50 AM

Great system for 250 watts power supply block! ok, if you think that it could be a conflict of SSD and Maxtor then try to plug in maxtor without SSD and WD and 2 DVD Drives. If Maxtor not even starts than look here: Possible failures . It could be something with controller or signal amplifier. Bad sectors can't be there really.
Well, if Maxtors is ok, then try to plugin SSD. If no conflict, then continue to plug in one by one and test. If it will break on the last 2 DVD, then use another Power Supply
March 28, 2011 9:00:58 AM

what brand and model of power supply?
m
l
Related resources
March 28, 2011 9:24:08 AM

there is no matter the brand of the PS, cz difference in the outter power is few precents
m
l
March 28, 2011 5:04:36 PM

PSU is Seasonic... 4-5yrs old though.

Now everything works fine again! WEIRD!

I didn't do anything, just a few power cycles, connect/disconnection of Maxtor IDE and Power cables, and now it boots fine, ran full scandisk fine and seems alrigh?!

I am going to eventually disconnect OCZ SATA and WD SATA. Just wanna make sure Maxtor is ok, as I like my Dad's computer to be trouble free.

Thanks
m
l
March 28, 2011 5:12:43 PM

System:
- Asus A7N8X Motherboard
- 1 GB RAM - DDR400
- Radeon 9700 pro
- Maxtor 250 GB ATA
- WD 500GB SATA
- OCZ 80GB SSD SATA
- 2 DVD drives
- Seasonic 250watts PSU

250W PSU seems awfully low considering you are OCing your CPU and running 3 HDD's as well as 2 optics. With that amount of hardware I would recommend minimally a 500W PSU.
m
l
March 28, 2011 6:54:29 PM

germanmikrowave said:
System:
- Asus A7N8X Motherboard
- 1 GB RAM - DDR400
- Radeon 9700 pro
- Maxtor 250 GB ATA
- WD 500GB SATA
- OCZ 80GB SSD SATA
- 2 DVD drives
- Seasonic 250watts PSU

250W PSU seems awfully low considering you are OCing your CPU and running 3 HDD's as well as 2 optics. With that amount of hardware I would recommend minimally a 500W PSU.

:) 

Been working fine for years, but just added the OCZ SSD which shouldn't take too much power, but I might be at the limit of 12volts...

One thing I noticed was that I could OC to XP 3200+ before, but now if I go that far, it crashes... wasn't sure if its because of CPU cooler not keeping up, or not enough power. I basically can't login to windows if I OC that high? Is that not enough power?

If it's just PSU, then I'd be fine after removing 2 HDDs!
m
l
April 4, 2011 8:10:53 PM

Best answer selected by alexb75.
m
l
!