Your question

Replacing PSU in HP Elite 9180t

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Hewlett Packard
  • Components
Last response: in Components
October 5, 2009 6:14:53 AM

Hi all, this is my first post so forgive me if I do anything wrong. First off, I'm a huge gamer, I love PC games and love getting the most performance out of them. Currently, my system is an HP Elite 9180t that I just purchased with these specs:

• Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
• Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-920 processor (2.66GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache with QPI Technology)
• 9GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [5 DIMMs]
• 1TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 750GB
• ATI Radeon HD 4850 [2 DVI, HDMI and VGA adapters]
• LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
• Integrated 10/100/1000 (Gigabit) Ethernet, No wireless LAN
• 15-in-1 memory card reader, 1 USB, 1394, audio
• No TV Tuner w/remote control
• Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
• No speakers
• HP multimedia keyboard and HP optical mouse
• Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
• Norton Internet Security(TM) 2009 - 15 month
• HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

--I love this system, but with ATI's new 5800 series cards out I would really like to up the PSU for when I'm ready to upgrade--(plus the 4850 gets to around 85c under load) I recently just purchased a Corsair 650W PSU and upon trying to install it ran into some problems. I was wondering if anyone out there could help me? After unscrewing the PSU, it was still attached, I believe by another screw on the OTHER side of the power supply. Of course, the side of the tower that does not just slide off. I realize that this should be a pretty standard process of swapping out the old 460W PSU for the new Corsair, but with my terrible luck this has turned into a little bit of an ordeal. I'm not even sure anymore if it's worth the trouble trying to remove it and install the new one, when I could just purchase the HD5770 coming out later this month (it recommends 450W, I have a stock 460W--I'm not sure if this should be sufficient, but the 4850 currently installed also recommends 450W so I assume it would be okay). Any advice as to an easy way to get this PSU out is welcomed and appreciated, thanks a lot!

P.S. I realize that the 5870 is roughly the size of an Escalade, but with some clever cord manipulation there is actually sufficient room uninhibited by the HD cage at all.

More about : replacing psu elite 9180t

October 5, 2009 1:33:45 PM

Although your psu may reflect the correct wattage, it's likely not providing the correct amps to support top end video cards. I could be wrong on that but usually that is the case.

I'm not familiar with the new HP but sometimes when its not obvious, you might have to remove the front bezel. Obviously you have the main door open, then you look for plastic locking tabs on the front left corner behind the main bezel and there are usually around 3 locking tabs or so. You will need to unlock all 3, or however many there may be and unhinge the front bezel and then swing the bezel cover to the right to completely remove it. The you can slide the other side door out.

Again, I'm not positive about your case being this type but HP is known for this since the buy out of Compaq's design. DONT FORCE ANYTHING OPEN. Take your time and observe everything closely.

The other option sometimes is to remove the top cover and then the other side slides upwards but I don't remember seeing any HP cases work like that but since its new and I haven't seen it, anythings possible.

These are just suggestions and neither may be right but I would look into my 1st suggestion 1st and go from there.

If I were you I wouldn't worry too much about upgrading just yet. Anything you do as a major upgrade in core components will likely void your warranty. I would use it for a little while as is since its a nice rig and place my sights on making an upgrade closer to the warranty running out on your system. By then there will be people with more posts online indicating on how to make this upgrade so you don't break anything now and void your warranty. Much faster video cards will be out then and the upgrade will be much more noteworthy.

Since you seem to not be scared to put your hands inside a pc and make these sort of upgrades, why don't you build your system the next time you need a pc? That way you get a pc you can work on and make changes anytime you like and not void the manufacturers warranty? You should do that next time... ;) 

m
l
October 5, 2009 3:07:13 PM

I tried to do the same in my Elite m9745.

There are no screws other than the 4 on the rear of the PC.
You may need to remove the plastic thingy that's on top of the case, but be really careful if you have integrated wi-fi board because the antenna cable makes a loop trough it (you'll understant if you look at your opened case).

You need to pull the psu by the side where cable come out(gently), and then you can extract it.

Unfortunately, I experienced a weird problem once my Corsair HX750W was in place, and don't know if it's related to the main board or if I got a DOA part... I would advice you to test the new PSU with the old one in place, just disconnected... Try just to connect the 24pin connector and the Cup 4x connector and make sure everything looks OK.
m
l
October 5, 2009 6:52:52 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, I haven't had the chance to look at it anymore yet today but tonight one of my buddies who's an IT person is coming over and hopefully will be able to swap out the PSU for my new Corsair.

@Englndr-
I know I should have totally built my own system lol, but contrary to what you might believe I'm usually quite nervous being 'hands-on' in my PC. I have terrible luck with computer components, all my friends give me a hard time about it. It's a great system, I just wish that HP had given the option to upgrade the GPU further, that's my only gripe about it so far. HP has confirmed though that it should not void the warranty so long as the new parts don't cause damage to any of the stock HP products, which I've been assured by an IT friend of mine that the power supply will not do. Thanks for your reply, I had one question though: You stated that the AMPs might be set incorrectly, were you suggesting that that may be leading to why the GPU is running so hot?

@Rollmops-
I would like to hear more about the problems you experienced after installing the HX750W, any permanent damage? The 650W I purchased should be compatible with my mobo and cpu, it's just a standard ATX and it said it's i7 compatible. Also, I'm pretty sure your chassis is quite different than mine, I realize it should come out, but I'm convinced that something is still screwed in or holding it in place on the other side of the PSU. My friend's uncle told me to look for some kind of spring loaded release, or something of that nature, so I'll try doing that, hopefully my IT buddy will solve any problems and get it installed tonight.

--Thanks again guys
m
l
!