Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I need help with external display with a compaq 610 laptop.

Last response: in Windows XP
December 13, 2011 12:13:58 AM

I'm trying to connect to an external monitor with my compaq 610 laptop via vga cable. The cable is connected to my laptop and my monitor but every time i hit the function key + F3, F4, etc..I cant seem to get my laptop displayed on my monitor.

I recently did a fresh install of windows xp, and wondering if a need a new driver, or if i need to change some settings around, can someone help me please?
December 13, 2011 12:55:58 AM

Right-Click the desktop, select Properties, then Settings.

There should be 2 little monitors in the window. Click the #2 monitor then check the box that shows "Extend my desktop onto this monitor" then Click "Apply"

The second monitor should now work. You can set it's resolution and color depth using the slider control there.

Drag the #2 monitor in the little windows to match the physical location of your monitors so mouse movement, dragging etc. will be correct.

m
l
Related resources

Best solution

December 13, 2011 1:39:01 AM

eightysicksd said:
I don't have that option in my settings
here is what it looks like:

Nice background. :) 

It must be a BIOS setting. Windows does not recognize a video adapter capable of operating 2 monitors.
Either that or you are using default built-in video drivers. If so download and install real video drivers.
December 13, 2011 1:54:34 AM

thanks.

how do I go about downloading real video drivers?
m
l
December 13, 2011 2:07:53 AM

All drivers for that computer are located HERE.

Choose the Chipset first and install it. After that, you can install the Audio, Graphics, pointing device and so on, but the chipset goes in first.
m
l
December 13, 2011 3:00:24 AM

Sweetness, it works now. Thank you so much!
m
l
December 13, 2011 3:00:50 AM

Best answer selected by eightysicksd.
m
l
December 13, 2011 2:39:23 PM

eightysicksd said:
Best answer selected by eightysicksd.

n
n
nYou came to the right place (Tom's). Your experience is what we strive for every day. :D 
n
nThanks for the vote.
:) 
m
l
!