32 or 64 bit

Snow_Patrol

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
If it's an AMD chip bought later than 2004, then it's 64-bit compatible. If its an Intel chip bought after 2005, then it's 64-bit compatible as well. There's no need to investigate compatibility, as 64-bit chips are backwards-compatible with 32-bit software.

Well I meant Pnetium 4 itself. From what i remember Prescott 2M+ was labeled Pentium D.

But still, you are right. Anything 2006+ should be x86-64. Unless you got it from a cheapo place like one guy I know who paid $700 for a Pentium III based Celeron PC in 2006...... Poor guy got ripped bad....

The Pentium 4 D was Intel's first Dual Core offering.
Similar to their Core 2 Duo/Core 2 Quad strategy, the Pentium D's used a pair of standard Pentium 4 dies in a single package.
I believe the 90nm Smithfield P4D's used a pair of late model Prescott Cores (where x86-64 really enterd, edited above) while the later 65nm Presler's used Ceader Mill Cores.
As Hyperthreading was not supported on the P4D's until the 65nm generation, I do not believe the Prescott 2M was used there.
With all the different cores and updates Intel carried the P4 line through, it gets pretty confusing :??:

Ugh
That guy really got riped :pfff:
This is a good example as to why people who know less than nothing about computers should stick to Dell.
While a $700 Dell would probably be a rip off for anyone who knows how to build their own, it is certainly a better deal than a Mom-n-Pop scam shop special.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005

Not entirely accurate. I bought a new Dell Core Duo laptop in spring '06 and it is most definitely a 32-bit processor. Perhaps the OP should tell us his CPU.