Running 6Gb of RAM in my Asus G1S with Windows 7 bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

CeesG1

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
I have an Asus G1S with Windows 7 Bios 300, can I run 6Gb of RAM using a (1) 4GB stick and (1) 2GB stick of RAM?

kaosnkorruption

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

CeesG1

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009

Well I installed a 4GB stick of RAM in slot 0 and left a 2GB stick in slot 1 and the BIOS and Windows 7 x64 recognizes all of it.

CeesG1

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009

I haven't updated my bios recently, I don't know I may try another 4GB stick and see if it'll go 8GB RAM

draeke

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Hello CeesG1 I'd be interested to ask you if you noticed a bit of overheating running Win7 x64. I had my G1S with original vista and it didn't heat up so much. That is maybe an issue due to its age (bought mine in 2007 and heavily used it) but i think that is maybe related to the way win 7 x64 works.

So i was wondering, if i upgrade to let's say 4gb total ram will i see any benefit? will the cpu workload be a bit less stressed? i am curious because the way it is sometimes the system freezes for up to 30 seconds and then continues to work and i guess it is because it cannot process properly everything with the cpu alone and so little ram (2gb). I have had also updated my bios to version 300 cause i know when you want to have more than 2gb you need to do that.

Any other forum user has tried win7 on this machine? or would you rather recommend to downgrade to winxp?

draeke

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
PS: should i buy 2 module of 2GB @ faster speed than 667mhz? i ask this because on crucial website they say that with this notebook i can use DDR-2 PC2-6400 modules

dawscaus

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

you can put the 800mhz memory in there but it will just clock it down to 667mhz.

The answer is you can but you will see no benefit.

calliehf

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Any other forum user has tried win7 on this machine? or would you rather recommend to downgrade to winxp?[/quotemsg]

I bought the Asus G1S in Nov. 2007 when we sent our son off to college. I installed Win 7 March 2010, no apparent problems, I used alot of the Vista drivers. When Win 7 came out the college sold Win 7 Ultimate upgrade disks to the students for $20....not a bad deal!! But my boy didn't know to ask for 64 bit. I upgraded the notebook from 2 GB to 4 GB Kingston Ram...the bios sees it, but the 32 bit OS does not. Only 64 bit will use more.

. I'm currently in the middle of my 2nd Win 7 installation, the 200 gig hard drive died last week, I put in the 500 Gig Seagate Momentus. I'm trying to meticulously examine every utility and driver. What a shame Asus never released a Window 7 listing. This time, I'm looking at each thing to see if its helpful or necessary, the last time I just installed everything.

While researching, I saw a thread where someone found a Power4Gear windows 7 utility for a different Asus laptop that was working great for their G1S, I followed their lead and did that, it working great. My boys' G1S seemed to be a power hog, I replaced the battery last year, which helped some, but maybe this new Power4Gear will help more,later I'll add to the thread which one it was for.

What I'm hoping will also help is the new Seagate drive. It is the green drive, 5400 RPM. the original 200 was a Hitachi 7200 RPM. I've read that the Momentus will be nearly as fast, since its aureal density is tighter to accomodate the larger capacity, it won't need to spin as fast to access the data with almost the same speed.

Anyone with helpful experience with Windows 7 G1S....???????????????

I also replace the DVD drive...out of necessity, he broke the faceplate and button off....the boy has been rough with it!!! Maybe should get him a ToughBook with military specs next time.... I did not put in a Blu-Ray...not worth the cost....but FYI this is a very easy notebook to upgrade. Memory, harddrive and DVD were simple to access and install.

dawscaus

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011

I bought the Asus G1S in Nov. 2007 when we sent our son off to college. I installed Win 7 March 2010, no apparent problems, I used alot of the Vista drivers. When Win 7 came out the college sold Win 7 Ultimate upgrade disks to the students for $20....not a bad deal!! But my boy didn't know to ask for 64 bit. I upgraded the notebook from 2 GB to 4 GB Kingston Ram...the bios sees it, but the 32 bit OS does not. Only 64 bit will use more.

. I'm currently in the middle of my 2nd Win 7 installation, the 200 gig hard drive died last week, I put in the 500 Gig Seagate Momentus. I'm trying to meticulously examine every utility and driver. What a shame Asus never released a Window 7 listing. This time, I'm looking at each thing to see if its helpful or necessary, the last time I just installed everything.

While researching, I saw a thread where someone found a Power4Gear windows 7 utility for a different Asus laptop that was working great for their G1S, I followed their lead and did that, it working great. My boys' G1S seemed to be a power hog, I replaced the battery last year, which helped some, but maybe this new Power4Gear will help more,later I'll add to the thread which one it was for.

What I'm hoping will also help is the new Seagate drive. It is the green drive, 5400 RPM. the original 200 was a Hitachi 7200 RPM. I've read that the Momentus will be nearly as fast, since its aureal density is tighter to accomodate the larger capacity, it won't need to spin as fast to access the data with almost the same speed.

Anyone with helpful experience with Windows 7 G1S....???????????????

I also replace the DVD drive...out of necessity, he broke the faceplate and button off....the boy has been rough with it!!! Maybe should get him a ToughBook with military specs next time.... I did not put in a Blu-Ray...not worth the cost....but FYI this is a very easy notebook to upgrade. Memory, harddrive and DVD were simple to access and install.[/quotemsg]

I installed Win 7 - 64 bit a while back on my G1S and did not have many problems that I can remember as far as drivers go. However as for Asus Applications I downloaded the applications and a few of the drivers from the G51VX which was similar to the G1S and Asus put out full support for Win 7 on that model. Here is the link to its download page.

http://support.asus.com/Download.a [...] VX&p=3&os=

I got the idea for that from reading this thread here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/as [...] -know.html

I hope this helps you out .
Add to the list of quoted messages Quick edit Edit this message

calliehf

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Thanks for the Win 7 64 tips, I will head over to G51VX page and check that out!!

I installed Win 7 - 64 bit a while back on my G1S and did not have many problems that I can remember as far as drivers go. However as for Asus Applications I downloaded the applications and a few of the drivers from the G51VX which was similar to the G1S and Asus put out full support for Win 7 on that model. Here is the link to its download page.

http://support.asus.com/Download.a [...] VX&p=3&os=

I got the idea for that from reading this thread here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/as [...] -know.html

I hope this helps you out .
Add to the list of quoted messages Quick edit Edit this message[/quotemsg]

dawscaus

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
With the new questions about windows 7 and the G1s i thought I would reload windows 7 ultimate 64bit back on to my G1s and document what drivers I installed to get it fully functional.

What I installed was:

ATK media utility - Asus G50VT Win7 64bit

Atk hotkey utility - Asus G50VT Win7 64bit

ATKOSD2 utility - Asus G50VT Win7 64bit

ATK Generic Fucntion utility - Asus G50VT Win7 64bit

KB filter - Asus G50VT Win7 64bit

note: you will need to install the ATK ACPI driver first but for me windows went and got it after loading for the first time
so do the update before installing the above

Wireless Console - Asus G50VT Win7 64bit

Power4Gear Hybrid - Asus G50VT Win7 64bit

chipset drivers - Intel

LAN - Intel

Wireless - Intel

Video - Nvidia

Touchpad - Asus G1s Vista 64bit

Esata - Asus G1s Vista 64bit

DirectConsole - Asus G1s Vista 64bit

Note: there will still be a missing base device in device manager but if you ask windows to update the drivers it should go out and find a card reader driver from asus and ask you to download it and that will fix the problem.

A lot of the G1s works with the windows drivers and what I installed may be overkill but that is what worked for me. My goal was to retain as much of the original feel that the G1s had on Vista but on Win7, and I believe that I have done that with the above applications and drivers.

Hope this helps
Daws

calliehf

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Thanks for your follow up!! Maybe I can get my son to find someone on campus who can snag him a copy of WIN7 64 bit. He mistakingly got the 32 bit, so his upgrade is only seeing 3 of the 4 Gigs of Kingston RAM I upgraded him to. Your 64 bit guide will be invaluable!

When I put WIN 7 Ultimate 32 bit on his, I similarly went thru each driver install.

The ATK ACPI driver was grabbed and auto installed by WIN 7 just liked yours was.

The only thing different I did was download the latest Intel Turbo Memory directly from Intel, the original drivers (v1.0.0.1082) that came with the laptop were written for Vista, the latest Win 7 release drivers are from July 2009, 1.10.0 PV release.

I downloaded from Nvidia the newest 32 bit notebook drivers for the Nvidia video card, version 285.62 Oct 2011.

Somewhere else, I saw someone who loaded the WIN 7 32 bit Asus G51VX PowerForGear and they said it worked great with their machine, so I did that, seemed to work nice.

As you mentioned, there was some overkill utility fluff, like Power4Phone that I passed on, and I didn't see the need for Wireless Console or Direct Console, my boy never got into gaming much. The time is shown when I installed the Direct Message utility, which at lest utilizes the mini-display for that.

I'm going to have to go back and look but i don't have the KB filter documented for the Asus G1S...was that something specific to the G50VT?

Windows auto installed drivers for both the Bluetooth, LAN, and Audio, much newer of course than for Vista, so I left those alone, functionality seems to be fine and since they are Win 7 drivers and everything is working it saved time too.

calliehf

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
And you are correct about the "Missing Base Device." That is a good inclusion in your list, that one had me perplexed when I was the ??? in Device Manager. I think you had a better approach, you had Windows 7 go out and probably find an updated driver. I found out it was the Ricoh Card from some web searches and installed the Vista driver, it cleared it up in Device Mgr. but what you did achieved a better result, meaning getting the latest drivers that work with this hardware and WIN 7.

dawscaus

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
If I am not mistaken the KB filter was something that originally was on the Vista drivers so I installed one, the G50VT one to be exact. More than likely it does nothing. I could not see any benefit of loading it other than it had it before.

On the issue of the Turbo memory, My G1s did not ship with the turbo memory module and so there was no reason for me to install the driver but you did the right thing by going to intel and getting it. From what I have read there was a lot of problems getting it working in win7 but the new drivers seemed to have taken care of all those problems.

The Power4Gears for the G50VT is the same as the G51VX. I also tried the Power4GearXtreme that was on vista and it works too but I chose to use the updated native Win7 version like you did.

The reason I installed Direct Console is so I could have control over the side panel lights and I sometimes leave messages to my self on the oled.

Your son go to college? The reason I ask is because my school has copies of Win7 you can buy for like 20 bucks or something like that.

The only thing I am not 100percent happy with is the touchpad. I installed the Vista driver because I wanted the light in the ROG symbol to function and I also wanted to be able to toggle it on and off with the shortcut key at the top. I am able to do that but in some applications the scroll page up and down does not function or may function but with a delayed response.

I am very happy with my G1s, and the way it handles windows 7. I have had it since 2007 and it still out-performs some laptops that I see people buy new. I am going to run it until it absolutely refuses to go another step which I hope is a good while.

calliehf

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
My son is a student at Texas A&M, that is where he got his Win 7 32 bit for $20. They probably only sell them one copy per student, so maybe he can get a buddy to get the 64 bit version for him, if only for the above 3 gigs of memory recognition.

I'll ask my son if he is having any touchpad issues, maybe there is a solution.

I may reconsider and install Direct Console...just to play with it, we never really used it for anything.

When the G1S came out, it was considered one of the top laptops out there. I paid way too much for it, I got it new on NewEgg for $1936.00. A few weeks after we got it, it dropped to $1600.00...oh well! But I wanted him to have not only one of the best but something that would stay current and useable throughout his 4 or 5 years of college. I think that was accomplished, he has had it since Nov. 2007. Being the boy he his, though, he has been pretty hard on it, i had to reinforce the hinges on the back, both of them developed cracks, I was afraid he would break one off so I cut some 3/4 by 1- 3/4 or so strips of black plastic similar in color to the laptop and used professional grade JB Weld Epoxy to patch over the cracks. You hardly notice it, the laptop still opens pretty far and I don't have to worry about an inadvertent bump breaking the hinge.

wyobski67

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011

I see that you got 8mb of ram running on your G1s.

I am looking for more firepower on my G1s-A1 since money is tight I can't afford a newer one.
According to CPUID I have a PM965/ 8201HBM (1CH8-ME) ver. 1.0 Motherbaord and a 300 American Megatrends bios 12/27/2007.

I am running Win 7 64bit.

Is this like your set up?

What memory did you use? Do you have a part number?

Do you know of anyone who has updated the T7700 CPU?

dawscaus

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
I am running a T9300 2.5 Ghz running in mine. I know what the original poster says he has 8gb of ram running in his system but i doubt it is actually using but 4gb of it. 2 from each slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.