Chilledchaos

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Hello members of Tom's Hardware

I recently built my first computer (fun little project) and I wanted to be able overclock to get the most out of the system.

The Computer is primarily a gaming computer, nothing else, so I spent a good bit of money on what I needed, and now I just want to make sure that money doesn't, how to put it; Explode in a firey mess

PC Specs:
Intel i5 2500k
G.Skill 1600 DDR3 Mhz Ram (The Timings are 9-9-9-24-2)
P67 Sabertooth mobo
Intel MLC 510 SSD 120GB
WD 1TB 7200 RPM 6.0gb/s
2x nVidia GTX 580's
CPU Cooler is a Noctua DH-14

BACKSTORY

Now, originally I tried the ASUS OC Tuner, and everything went well. It overclocked to 4.3 ghz, and for the most part it was stable. (I ran Prime 95 for two hours, played a couple games of League of Legends, browsed the web) The core temps range from 49-55'C (Are those acceptable?) It Idles around 32'C

I continued to read online how that overclocking manually was better, which I can understand. They said that the OC Tuner would over-voltage when it wasn't needed, and that I was best following a beginners guide online. So I tried that. I loaded the defaults in the bios, restarted it, and then attempted to manually overclock following this guide

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-sandy-bridge-overclocking-guide-beginners.html

Okay, so I follow everything to a tee, and my computer won't post at an overclock of 4ghz. I followed suggestions to add more to the vCore, changing the amount from 1.12 to 1.18, and the computer posted.

I load up Prime 95 to check it out, and I am hit with another BSOD.

At this point I head back into the bios, load default, restart, and then head back in and go back to the ASUS OC Tuner, what I initially had before I tried to manually overclock.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now these are the settings that ASUS OC Tuner is giving me, and I want to know if it is safe to use.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In all of the manual Overclock settings, the Bus Speed (or I believe the blck?) everyone keeps it at 100mhz

The ASUS OC Tuner changes it to 103.0 MHZ, and I read if I change it back, things do not work properly. Is it okay to have the Bus Speed at 103, verse the 100 everyone who manually overclocks has it at?

The Multiplier is at 42.0, which I believe seems right. (103 x 42 = 4327approx) The kind of overclock I am looking for. I am completely happy with a 4.3, I just do not want my system to die, or have excessive wear and tear because of it

The Next thing is the Core Voltage. Asus OC Tuner seems to be over compensating for a 4.3ghz Overclock, they have the Core Voltage at 1.296-1.304, during Prime 95 tests. Is this kind of voltage okay? I hear anything under 1.35 is okay, but seeing as I am not going up to 4.5-4.7, is there any point of the Voltage being that high?

Lastly there is my RAM
http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=338

For some reason the ASUS OC Tuner seems to be overclocking it (Something to do with that 103mhz) The DRAM is now at 1648, instead of 1600, will this hurt it? I believe the voltage on the DRAM was changed by ASUS OC Tuner to 1.65v, and the tested voltage for the DRAM is 1.5v. Should I immediately change that?

That is pretty much all of the questions I have.
Thank you for taking the time to read this long text, and any answers to any of the questions will be much appreciated!

-Chilledchaos

purp

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
1.3v at 4.3 is good I ran the auto tune an got 4.8 at 1.55v which is to high so I did what u did and reset to factory settings and manual overclocked and it tweaked my CPU and my fsb is 800 400% over clock. Tried resetting and running auto tuner and it hit 4.9gjz 1.66v so I turned off and haven't had help since...for the ram I don't think 1.65v is need for a .048 enhance

TRENDING THREADS