Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD Suggestions

Last response: in Storage
March 28, 2011 7:26:57 PM

Hello all!

I am building a workstation currently and I would like to get an SSD for a boot drive, critical programs, and scratch disk. There seems to be 1.5BILLION options for SSDs so I'm turning to you guys for suggestions.

I'll be running:
Win 7 Pro - 100Gb
Scratch disk from Adobe Premiere CS5 - 50Gb
Adobe Production Premium CS5 - 20Gb

Do these numbers sound about right? I'll be working with 1080p footage (no more than 40 min of footage at a time) Can anyone suggest a good SSD that has decent read/write speeds and isn't too expensive? This would be a nice alternative to 15k rpm drives for scratch disks.

I can live without putting CS5 on the SSD, I'd just like it for faster loading times. If it means saving ~$100 on an SSD and putting CS5 on an HDD, I'm ok with that.

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

More about : ssd suggestions

a c 290 G Storage
March 28, 2011 7:53:09 PM

I am in the same situation - digital image and video editing.

Is your motherboard SATA III (6 Gb/s) capable?

Based on all of the reviews and comments I read the past couple of months, especially about Adobe products, I would say the Intel 510 series would be a good choice. If price is an issue, then consider the Crucial C300 ssd's. You might be able to get one on sale.
m
l
April 5, 2011 11:29:27 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
I am in the same situation - digital image and video editing.

Is your motherboard SATA III (6 Gb/s) capable?

Based on all of the reviews and comments I read the past couple of months, especially about Adobe products, I would say the Intel 510 series would be a good choice. If price is an issue, then consider the Crucial C300 ssd's. You might be able to get one on sale.

It is. I'm def goin with the C300s those look sick.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 290 G Storage
April 5, 2011 11:33:18 PM

You can get the Crucial C300 120GB SATA III (6 Gb/s) on sale at newegg.com for $199.00 and free shipping. Here is a link to the Tom's Hardware web page with a special promo code:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Deals-Crucial-RealSSD-...

Be sure to use the coupon code to get the sale price: EMCKFKJ22

That's about as good as it gets. Every once in a while you might be able to find it at $179.99 but it is rare.
April 5, 2011 11:39:13 PM

Best answer selected by captvash.
m
l
!