Purchasing a heatsink for i7-920

jyeh

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
I'm about to finally start overclocking my 920 instead of keeping it at stock. I've been attempting, but having a stock fan... have lowered my capabilities. I was wondering what fans I should buy to best overclock my chip. I've been looking and saw that Prolimatech armageddon would be the very good, but the heatsink costing 60 bucks is a little much unless I can't hit 4.0 gHz without... I'm also limited on space because I use an Antec 900.

1. I'm looking for some direction in overclocking the chip.
2. Some suggestions to which heatsink to purchase.

Thank you for your help in advance!

I used this guide to OC my i7-920 to 3.82 GHz; very stable: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/263043-29-1156-core-core-overclocking-guide

When you pick a heatsink, make sure that the heatsink will clear the RAM; especially the RAM in slot 1. Tall RAM will interfere with certain heatsinks.

For you information, I have Corsair Dominator RAM (tall), but my CM V8 heatsink has no clearance issues. (EVGA Classified motherboard).

The i7-920 DO overclocks well. Read a lot about overclocking, and backup the computer, before changing settings. Do the OC in the BIOS, and gradual increases.

If you have enough clearance between the lowest cooling fins on the heatsink and the top of the RAM modules, then go for the Prolimatech Megahalems.

I cannot use the Megahalems because I have the tall Corsair Dominator RAM modules. (Interference in RAM in slot #1).