Sign in with
Your question

Best 1-2TB drive for storage in HTPC

Last response: in Storage
March 28, 2011 7:34:54 PM

My build HTPC has a 80GB OCZ Vertex for OS drive and now looking for a 2nd drive for storage.

As it's HTPC, I want it to run quiet and cool, BUT, I want decent performance. What's bhe best drive for that purpose?

I was thinking WD Black, but I am afraid if it's gonna be loud. I got an older WD500AAKS ( think it's called Blue now), and its performance and specially noise (idle and seek) are really great... how's WD Black compared to WD Blue? or any other drives for that matter?

Thanks

More about : 2tb drive storage htpc

March 28, 2011 9:18:18 PM

Noise wise modern drives are fairly silent. I would know I got 5 mechanical and one ssd in my workstation. Green edition drives are basically do not touch due to quality concerns,
m
l
March 28, 2011 9:44:55 PM

nforce4max said:
Noise wise modern drives are fairly silent. I would know I got 5 mechanical and one ssd in my workstation. Green edition drives are basically do not touch due to quality concerns,

Sorry you mean Green drives have quality issues and you don't touch em?
m
l
Related resources
March 28, 2011 10:41:52 PM

I wouldn't buy them, poor quality pre amp head assembly that leads to the common problem ware the controller is unable to read and write data to the media ie the platters inside the drive being the media. Green edition drives are far from what most would consider quality that being a drive that outlasts their needs. In short read the reviews online your self such as newegg.
m
l
a b G Storage
March 28, 2011 11:08:38 PM

Samsung F4 have good reviews and perform well.
m
l
March 28, 2011 11:15:17 PM

Zenthar said:

That is what I have been leaning towards :) 

I am thinking about buying three this September to max out the limitations on my board. Even then I am going to run low on storage :( 
m
l
March 28, 2011 11:48:12 PM

Zenthar said:

Better than WD Black? IF so, performance-wise or noise-wise?
m
l
March 28, 2011 11:57:39 PM

alexb75 said:
Better than WD Black? IF so, performance-wise or noise-wise?

There are plenty of reviews around. They are good drives and fantastic alternatives to WD or Seafail.
m
l
a b G Storage
March 29, 2011 4:03:00 PM

I can add some personal experience to the discussion. My main HTPC has these drives:

1TB WD Black (first gen, FALS model)
1TB WD Green (first gen, EACS model)
2TB Samsung F4

The black is too noisy for my tastes. Not just the reads/writes, but just the platters spinning creates a constant hum. The later black drives may have better acoustics, so keep that in mind.

The Samsung F4 drive, despite being a 5400rpm drive, actually benchmarks faster than my black drive with the exception of access time. It is very quiet too. Current model WD black drives are faster than my 1st gen drive, but I just wanted to point out the the Samsung F4 is no slouch, even though it's a "green" drive due to it's very dense platters.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
March 29, 2011 4:50:16 PM

You don't really need a "performance" drive for an HTPC. Even drives that are slow by today's standards are plenty fast enough to read and write multiple streams of HD video and audio. And startup/shutdown times aren't going to be affected by the speed of your data drive.

That, plus your desire for a "cool and quiet" drive points to a "Green" drive from one of the disk manufacturers.
m
l
March 30, 2011 5:13:11 AM

sminlal said:
You don't really need a "performance" drive for an HTPC. Even drives that are slow by today's standards are plenty fast enough to read and write multiple streams of HD video and audio. And startup/shutdown times aren't going to be affected by the speed of your data drive.

That, plus your desire for a "cool and quiet" drive points to a "Green" drive from one of the disk manufacturers.

What about the comments above about Green drives being not very reliable?!
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
March 30, 2011 4:34:19 PM

alexb75 said:
What about the comments above about Green drives being not very reliable?!
I asked nforce4max in another thread where he got this info and all he could say was "reviews". I'm personally skeptical of this, because I've been using five WD "Green" drives for periods ranging from a year to almost 2 years and haven't had any problems, nor have I seen any particular trend that suggests a problem with them in the posts I've been reading.

Hard drive reliability information is hard to come by, but I did find this report which indicates that the WD Green drives have failure rates that are in the mid to bottom of the pack (i.e. ranging from average to most reliable of the drives).

Generally speaking you can never really trust any hard drive, but my opinion is that WD Green drives are no worse than any other.
m
l
March 31, 2011 12:18:00 AM

sminlal said:
I asked nforce4max in another thread where he got this info and all he could say was "reviews". I'm personally skeptical of this, because I've been using five WD "Green" drives for periods ranging from a year to almost 2 years and haven't had any problems, nor have I seen any particular trend that suggests a problem with them in the posts I've been reading.

Hard drive reliability information is hard to come by, but I did find this report which indicates that the WD Green drives have failure rates that are in the mid to bottom of the pack (i.e. ranging from average to most reliable of the drives).

Generally speaking you can never really trust any hard drive, but my opinion is that WD Green drives are no worse than any other.

Good find! I found it interesting how different same drives did in different sizes!

Quote:

Failure rates reported for 1TB hard drives:

- 5.76% Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B
- 5.20% Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C
- 3.68% Seagate Barracuda 7200.11
- 3.37%: Samsung SpinPoint F1
- 2.51% Seagate Barracuda 7200.12
- 2.37%: WD Caviar Green WD10EARS
- 2.10% Seagate Barracuda LP
- 1.57%: Samsung SpinPoint F3
- 1.55%: WD Caviar Green WD10EADS
- 1.35%: WD Caviar Black WD1001FALS
- 1.24%: Maxtor DiamondMax 23

For 2 TB drives, the results were:

- 9.71%: WD Caviar Black WD2001FASS
- 6.87% Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000
- 4.83%: WD Caviar Green WD20EARS
- 4.35% Seagate Barracuda LP
- 4.17%: Samsung EcoGreen F3
- 2.90%: WD Caviar Green WD20EADS

Caviar Black 2TB looks like very unreliable!
m
l
April 11, 2011 4:12:21 AM

Looks like WD Blue *performance* is good enuf for me as 2nd drive. Is there a much noticable acoustic difference between Black and Blue? I can't find out how Black is faster, apart from having extra cash, is its firmware designed to like work to perform better?

For some reason the 1 TB BLACK drive has reviewed much worse (acoustically) than 2TB... any reason for that? have they changed anything specific?
m
l
April 12, 2011 9:13:13 PM

i've got a samsung f3 1tb hdd in my pc did have an hitachi deskstar 500gig, wanted performance as well as plenty of storage, and got just what i needed with my new samsung plenty of storage, loads of space and silent seek times and speed....... Go Samsung If You Want Relaibility and silent running....you wont be dissapointed :) 
m
l
!