Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Intel i5 2500k with P8p67 overclocking question

Last response: in Overclocking
July 17, 2011 1:28:17 PM

Hi, I am new to overclocking and I decided to try my hand at it. The first thing I tried was using my motherboard's (Asus p8p67) AI Suite II auto tuning option to overclock. Apparently, I just pressed a button (the FAST option) and my computer restarted and showed me a message of 31% increase in performance at a clock speed of 4.2 Ghz. The stock speed is 3.3 ghz.

However, when I go into CPU-Z the core speed shows as 1648.9 mhz. The bus speed is 103.0 with a x16 multiplier. Now once in a while the multiplier jumps to X42 but it is really brief and it quickly goes back to normal. Why is this happening? I thought my CPU's clock speed would constantly stay at 4.2 Ghz?

I would appreciate any help with this. Thanks in advance :D 
July 17, 2011 4:59:24 PM

It is a power saving feature working as intended. It will stay at the lower state (notice the lower voltages) unless you do something that needs processing power and then it will go to the 4.2Ghz that you want it to be at. If you really want to disable that feature so that it is always at the higher speed you can do that in the BIOS.
m
l
July 18, 2011 3:33:04 AM

I disabled speedstep and still the same problem. It made no difference
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 18, 2011 3:46:13 AM

Sandy Bridge CPUs were designed to have these features enabled so that the CPU uses less power when you don't need it at 100%. This "problem" as you call it actually isn't one. It can instantaneously switch to full clock speed when needed, like when you start up a game, and then immediately switch to low-power idle mode when you don't, like when you're browsing the web.

If you really want to have the clock speed stay up constantly, you have to disable C1E and all of the CStates settings also.
July 18, 2011 3:53:08 AM

Oh i see. Well in that case, ill just re-enable speedstep
m
l
July 18, 2011 3:53:23 AM

Best answer selected by undercovrr.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2011 4:06:43 AM

4.2Ghz is a pretty nice OC. If you'd like to go higher, you'd have to do it manually, which is only worth the time if you enjoy it.
m
l
July 18, 2011 4:14:53 AM

I am running at 4.7ghz with 1.345 volts.

Was not able to get above 4.7 at 1.35, and I didn't want to go above 1.35.

So, what I'm saying is that with nearly any manual overclocking you can push to 4.5 pretty easy, even without touching the voltage.

Depending on your cooling, of course.
m
l
!