GA-EP45-UD3R Memtest won't run after RAM upgrade

kokopelli

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
This mobo was used by a friend in a system build this summer with 4G of some sort of OCZ RAM. At the time, a memtest86+ (v4.00) disk I burned would boot just fine on his box. After recently moving to Win7, he decided to double his RAM (Photoshopper), making sure to obtain the same spec sticks. Win7 always boots and runs normally, and is stable. However, now memtest will not successfully boot. It just starts the initial loading, showing a few of the loading progress "dots", then stalls. That same disk will boot normally on my EP45-UD3P box with 4G of OCZ RAM (800MHz stuff). A second disk freshly burned at just 4X exhibits the same behavior--no boot for him; works fine for me.

We did try my GParted disk, and were able to run the included memtest (v2.something), which showed no errors after one pass (time was short).

I guess it's good enough that Win7 runs normally, but I am curious about what might be preventing the dedicated memtest86+ disk from starting at all on his box. I can't say specifically which part # sticks he's running, but I do know that he's not done any overclocking--at the most he probably has the bios (latest) set for "Optimized Defaults".

kokopelli

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009

Thanks, I'll make a note of your recommendations. I thought it would be a matter of a minor adjustment or two. At least Windows has been booting and running well on that box without those configuration changes.