Thinkpad 600e - CMOS battery replacement

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 22, 2004 7:25:42 AM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

tonight I came home and grabbed my Thinkpad 600e
and turned it on -
It IMMEDIATELY replied with a 173 error and 163 error -
I'm guessing (hoping) it is the CMOS battery dying...
Where can I get another one - any sources out there ?

I've looked on eBay and found a few,
but to pay $15.00 for a CR2025 battery with a connector seems high :)
IBM part - 02k6486
FRU part - 02k6502
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 22, 2004 7:54:36 AM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Go to Radio Shack, get a 2025 coin battery. Costs all of $3. Take the old CMOS
battery out of the 600E. Split open the yellow shrink wrap, peel the leads off
the old battery, DONT cut the leads - peel them - off the battery leaving the
short tabs on the wires. Tape the leads on the new battery, CAREFUL with the
polarity. Wrap with electrical tape. Plug it back in. Hold the F1 button.
Turn on the laptop. Reset the date and time. There is NO reason to spend $20
for a CMOS battery on eBay.

TJ

Phil Schuman wrote:

> tonight I came home and grabbed my Thinkpad 600e
> and turned it on -
> It IMMEDIATELY replied with a 173 error and 163 error
> I'm guessing (hoping) it is the CMOS battery dying...
> Where can I get another one - any sources out there ?
>
> I've looked on eBay and found a few,
> but to pay $15.00 for a CR2025 battery with a connector seems high :)
> IBM part - 02k6486
> FRU part - 02k6502

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 22, 2004 8:57:47 AM

"Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC" <Dec7.1941@cableaz.com> wrote in message
> Go to Radio Shack, get a 2025 coin battery. Costs all of $3. Take the
old CMOS
> battery out of the 600E. Split open the yellow shrink wrap, peel the
leads off
> the old battery, DONT cut the leads - peel them - off the battery leaving
the
> short tabs on the wires. Tape the leads on the new battery, CAREFUL with
the
> polarity. Wrap with electrical tape. Plug it back in. Hold the F1
button.
> Turn on the laptop. Reset the date and time. There is NO reason to spend
$20
> for a CMOS battery on eBay.

tnx for the info -
I was going to go that route - but thought I would look around first.
How are the leads attached to the coin cell ? I would have thought some
spot welds.
I was trying to think how it would react to a quick soldering iron :)
a b D Laptop
April 22, 2004 11:58:15 AM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I often solder wires onto these and other batteries. you will need a
reactive flux otherwise the solder wont wet the nickel plate on the
steel battery material.
These reactive fluxes are based on hydrochloric acid into which as much
zinc sheet has been placed till no more will be dissolved. they can be
water based but are also fat based. Plumbers use them on copper to
stainless steel domestic plumbing piping.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 22, 2004 2:15:08 PM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 04:57:47 GMT, "Phil Schuman"
<pschuman_nospam_me@interserv.com> wrote:

>"Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC" <Dec7.1941@cableaz.com> wrote in message
>> Go to Radio Shack, get a 2025 coin battery. Costs all of $3. Take the
>old CMOS
>> battery out of the 600E. Split open the yellow shrink wrap, peel the
>leads off
>> the old battery, DONT cut the leads - peel them - off the battery leaving
>the
>> short tabs on the wires. Tape the leads on the new battery, CAREFUL with
>the
>> polarity. Wrap with electrical tape. Plug it back in. Hold the F1
>button.
>> Turn on the laptop. Reset the date and time. There is NO reason to spend
>$20
>> for a CMOS battery on eBay.
>>
>tnx for the info -
>I was going to go that route - but thought I would look around first.
>How are the leads attached to the coin cell ? I would have thought some
>spot welds.
>I was trying to think how it would react to a quick soldering iron :)

Last time I went in to a Batteries Plus store, they took one in the
back for me and tacked some tabs on one for me - no charge. He offered
to solder the wires to the tabs and shrink wrap it at a fee but I said
it's simple to do that. Then he said $2 and I said "sure!" Last time I
went in, they had ready made ones in blister packs at the higher
prices (of course)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 22, 2004 5:58:57 PM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Uh, that is not really a good solution. Been there, tried that, you really
don't get good contact. Pay the $20.00
"Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC" <Dec7.1941@cableaz.com> wrote in message
> Go to Radio Shack, get a 2025 coin battery. Costs all of $3. Take the
old CMOS
> battery out of the 600E. Split open the yellow shrink wrap, peel the
leads off
> the old battery, DONT cut the leads - peel them - off the battery leaving
the
> short tabs on the wires. Tape the leads on the new battery, CAREFUL with
the
> polarity. Wrap with electrical tape. Plug it back in. Hold the F1
button.
> Turn on the laptop. Reset the date and time. There is NO reason to spend
$20
> for a CMOS battery on eBay.
>
> TJ
>
> Phil Schuman wrote:
> >
> > tonight I came home and grabbed my Thinkpad 600e
> > and turned it on -
> > It IMMEDIATELY replied with a 173 error and 163 error
> > I'm guessing (hoping) it is the CMOS battery dying...
> > Where can I get another one - any sources out there ?
> >
> > I've looked on eBay and found a few,
> > but to pay $15.00 for a CR2025 battery with a connector seems high :)
> > IBM part - 02k6486
> > FRU part - 02k6502

> The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 22, 2004 10:19:03 PM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Phil,

Never apply heat(soldering pencil) to a battery directly. Heat applied to a
sealed, air-tight container is bad bad bad... Batteries are cold soldered(spot
welded). I use needle-nose pliers to roll the lead tabs off the battery. Keeps
the leads on the wires.

TJ

Phil Schuman wrote:

> "Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC" <Dec7.1941@cableaz.com> wrote in message
> > Go to Radio Shack, get a 2025 coin battery. Costs all of $3. Take the
> old CMOS
> > battery out of the 600E. Split open the yellow shrink wrap, peel the
> leads off
> > the old battery, DONT cut the leads - peel them - off the battery leaving
> the
> > short tabs on the wires. Tape the leads on the new battery, CAREFUL with
> the
> > polarity. Wrap with electrical tape. Plug it back in. Hold the F1
> button.
> > Turn on the laptop. Reset the date and time. There is NO reason to spend
> $20
> > for a CMOS battery on eBay.
> >
> tnx for the info -
> I was going to go that route - but thought I would look around first.
> How are the leads attached to the coin cell ? I would have thought some
> spot welds.
> I was trying to think how it would react to a quick soldering iron :)

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 22, 2004 10:27:13 PM

Bruce Markowitz wrote:

> Uh, that is not really a good solution. Been there, tried that, you really
> don't get good contact. Pay the $20.00

Been there, done that, done that, done that, done that, done that, done that.

> "Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC" <Dec7.1941@cableaz.com> wrote in message
> > Go to Radio Shack, get a 2025 coin battery. Costs all of $3. Take the
> old CMOS
> > battery out of the 600E. Split open the yellow shrink wrap, peel the
> leads off
> > the old battery, DONT cut the leads - peel them - off the battery leaving
> the
> > short tabs on the wires. Tape the leads on the new battery, CAREFUL with
> the
> > polarity. Wrap with electrical tape. Plug it back in. Hold the F1
> button.
> > Turn on the laptop. Reset the date and time. There is NO reason to spend
> $20
> > for a CMOS battery on eBay.
> >
> > TJ
> >
> > Phil Schuman wrote:
> > >
> > > tonight I came home and grabbed my Thinkpad 600e
> > > and turned it on -
> > > It IMMEDIATELY replied with a 173 error and 163 error
> > > I'm guessing (hoping) it is the CMOS battery dying...
> > > Where can I get another one - any sources out there ?
> > >
> > > I've looked on eBay and found a few,
> > > but to pay $15.00 for a CR2025 battery with a connector seems high :)
> > > IBM part - 02k6486
> > > FRU part - 02k6502
> >
> > --
> > =========================================================================
> > The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2004 7:06:38 PM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Capt. Wild Bill Kelso, USAAC" <Dec7.1941@cableaz.com> wrote in message
> Go to Radio Shack, get a 2025 coin battery. Costs all of $3. Take
the old CMOS
> battery out of the 600E. Split open the yellow shrink wrap, peel the
leads off
> the old battery, DONT cut the leads - peel them - off the battery
leaving the
> short tabs on the wires. Tape the leads on the new battery, CAREFUL
with the
> polarity. Wrap with electrical tape. Plug it back in. Hold the F1
button.
> Turn on the laptop. Reset the date and time. There is NO reason to
spend $20
> for a CMOS battery on eBay.

tnx for the info -
that's basically what I just did - and my IBM Thinkpad 600e is all
better.
I may go re-visit the tape, but for right now it is working...
It seemed a bit too tight to slip into the battery area, but jammed it
in :)
and I just put one piece of tape on top & bottom -
thanks -
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2004 8:19:36 PM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Phil,

Yeah, seems silly to spend $20 on something you can do for $3. You could even
re-shrink-wrap it if you want. There are a coupla coin batt models that'll
work, the 2025 and 2033/36, all 3vdc. Only 1 out of 6 owners I had to replace
the batts for wanted the original. 'Course, he paid the $20 + ;)

teege

!