XP Mode won't run XP program

jbnimble

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
I have an Asus P8Z68-V, i7-2600K, Crucial 256 GB SSD, 8GB Gskill 2133 DDR3, Radeon HD 5670, OCZ ModXStream 600 power supply and Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. I downloaded XP Mode to run two old programs that run fine on several native XP Pro 32-bit SP3 installations (including this Z68).

The two programs I need are a 1991 DOS program that runs without problem in W7 Professional XP Mode, and the other is an XP vintage program that will not install in XP Mode.

I have also cloned the W7 Pro build from the Crucial 256 GB SSD to a Western Digital 1 TB black drive. Both drives work identically (except for speed). The XP era software refuses to install on the SSD or the hard drive.

When I try to install the XP era program on the Crucial SSD (BIOS setting AHCI), or the Western DIgital (BIOS setting IDE) the result is the same. I get the following error:

==========
ComponentMoveData Error Information
Component: SelfReg Component
File: [this field is empty]
Error Number: -2147418113
==========

I believe the installation stops at a file named CLInet.dll

I have can use the native XP Pro SP3, 32-bit build on a hard drive for this computer. Both old programs install and work well, but I much prefer W7 Pro XP Mode if it possible. Unless these two programs run in XP Mode, I will abandon W7 and use the native XP build.

Any suggestions?

fowang

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
"The two programs I need are a 1991 DOS program that runs without problem in W7 Professional XP Mode, and the other is an XP vintage program that will not install in XP Mode."

Theres your issue.

Use dos box to install these!

jbnimble

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Thanks for the replies.

The problem program is: Cyberlink Power DVD XP.

Yes, I know there are later versions; I've tried them all.
And I recently tried half a dozen alternative DVD players. None meets my requirements.

As far as DOSBOX, I tried that years ago, and it does not handle memory properly for my 1991 program (which needs expanded memory). But my 1991 DOS program is not the issue. It works fine in BOTH native XP AND in Windows 7 XP Mode. And Power DVD XP is a Windows program.

pjmelect:
Would the graphics limitations prevent INSTALLATION of Power DVD XP under Windows 7 XP Mode?