How to optimize raid 0 for windows 7 64 bit

biggdevo

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
Hello,

I have just finished building my system and installed windows 7 ultimate 64-bit. I had several issues smoothing out the OS, (had flashback of windows 95 horrors, actual ;). Think I finally have the system somewhat stable.

My configuration is as follows:

Thermaltake Spedo advance themal case with 8 case fans.

ThermalTake 1200 Watts power supply with 4 dedicated 12 volt rails.

Intel 960 bloomfield 3.2 CPU
w/Zalman copper cooler.

24 GB Kingston 1600 Hyperx
w/Kinston hyperx cooler.

2 @ EVGA GTX 470 1280mb VGA's
running linked in SLI, no advanced cooling yet (? #1 always runs hotter than #2)

2 WD 1 TB Black Caviar 6/gbs drives running in raid 0 on Marvell controller.

my windows experience stats are as follows:

CPU: 7.6 (no overclocking yet)

Memory: 7.6 (no overclocking yet)

Graphics: 7.9 (no overclocking yet)

Gaming Graphics 7.9 (no overclocking yet)

Primary hard disk 5.9

I would like to improve my raid array performance if possible, as this is little better that I was getting out of window vista 32-bit.

Can I get more perfomance out of my raid array? I am afraid of manual registry tweaks, as I tried one related to AHCI set up after install, and ended up reinstalling from scratch with the correct AHCI bios settings.

Sorry if I am rambling, I would just like to know what the faster drive, controller, AHCI and it's special access setting are supposed to do for me. I am not a gamer I am a Computer Grapics. 3D and Print Artist. I need power, a fast drive, but SSD is not really an option because my programs are quite large. please help if you can make sense of this ramble.

thephenom696

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011

HEY man there is a way that u could do that but it could result with Data loss if PC is unplugged, but if u have a laptop, or a desktop Battery,ur fine! :)

1.Go to start- Rclick on Computer and select Manage!

2.go to Device Manager and doubleclick Disk Drives. Now right click the drive ur os is installed on and select Properties

3.under Policies tab make sure Enable Write caching on the device IS cheked!

4. {OPTTIONAL{ Turn off Write cache buffering (second option) and check the box (if u wont unplug ur pc)

ANOTHER THING:

to improve bootup speed:

goto start- type msconfig- open BOOT tab- goto Advanced options- Check Number of processors- select the BIGGEST number on the list (EG. 3,4,6)
What it does is makes windows boot using all the cores!

u can also defrag the WHOLE disk using UltraDefrag :
http://ultradefrag.sourceforge.net/

open it up, go to settings and check the only box that is there!!, restart ur pc, let it do its thing, and after its done, go open Ultradefrag and uncheck that box.

MOAR OPTIMIZING GUIDE:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11728-optimize-windows-7-a.html

HOPE I HAVE HELPED :D

Even with 2 HDDs in RAID-0 you will not get a higher score in WEI than 5.9. You need an SSD to get a higher score.

A SSD is still an option for you. You can purchase a small (64GB and less) SSD and use it as a cache drive for your RAID.
You have an X58 motherboard so you can install Intel SRT (Smart Response Technology) software on your RAID to cache the SSD.

You can also purchase an OCZ Synapse SSD and use that as a cache drive. The Synapse has it's own caching software so you can get a 128GB drive and not be limited to 64GB like Intel.

Using an SSD as a cache drive will give you a real world performance boost in addition to increasing your WEI score.

thephenom696

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011

i had 5.9 before and after raid too. :p did ur Windows setup make a extra 100mb partition too? :O