Budget Gaming Build (about $700)

blackfeet

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Asap

BUDGET RANGE: $700 AUD (Australian Dollars) for the system and below $350 for a monitor

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Games, Music, Movies, Surfing.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, OS, Speakers, Monitor (Case)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: pccasegear.com, msy.com.au or anything you find from staticice/shopbot.com.au

PARTS PREFERENCES: Best bang for buck

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1600x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I just bought an AMD (955 BE build) and my cousin got jealous. So this computer is for him. He DOESN'T want to change his case to save money, but if you can fit an Antec 300 or something in please do, 'cause his case is fail.

And for something that is TOTALLY UNRELATED to this build. What is a good roughly $350 24" gaming monitor? With 4890's at their current price ($285 here, i bought my first one for $420) I'm really interested in buying another to crossfire. I want 1920x1200 res if possible at that price. I am currently using a Dell S2409W (1920x1080) that I'm not very fond of. Plus, my mama agreed to help me out if i gave her the Dell, so I have another reason to want to get rid of this thing. :D

Anyways, that's about it. Any and all advice will be great. Your time and effort is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and thanks for your time.

Depends on if you will go AMD or Intel, you dont have to spend 350 on a monitor due to the fact that for 225.00 US you can get a 22" Asus or Acer HD 1080p HDMI monitor (1680 by 1050 max RES). I have both and they are more than enough for any PC game. 700 AUS = 557.00 US so taking that into consideration i would go AMD.

GA-MA790X-UD4P <-- Best budget AMD board
x2 550 Callisto 3.1Ghz <-- Super fast for cheap (Highly overclockable = Futureproof)
As far as for video card it depends. I would buy a GTS 250 <--Best bang for buck.
2x 2Gb G.Skill 1066Mhz
Western Digital Caviar Black 500Gb HD
Antec EA 500w
Antec 300

It might be lil over 700 AUS but in the end it will be worth it. The money you saved on the monitor can be used towards your system.

Go to newegg.com and read the reviews, it will help you a lot and you will learn tons of things related to the build that you want.

Let me know if you need any further assistance as I build both AMD and Intel systems.