Installing Win7 on Intel SSD

goblinbee

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
I am attempting to install Windows 7 64-bit on an Intel SATA SSD. Initially, windows was not recognizing the drive, but some googling indicated that others had solved this problem by switching the SSD from IDE to AHCI in the BIOS. The problem is, after doing this it seems that my system can't boot from the installation DVD, even though the DVD drive is set to boot before the SSD. I just get a message that says "CD-ROM Boot Priority ..Boot Ready", but I can't get past it. I can't figure out what the problem is. I've tried switching the SSD back to IDE, then the install DVD starts up, but of course it still can't see the drive. I switch it back to AHCI and I get this 'Boot Ready' message again.

Anyone know what's going on here?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
When you BIOS splash screen appears, you should be given the option to press a function key (usually F11 or F12) to give you a menu to select the boot device. If your system does this, try setting your SATA mode to AHCI and then the manual selection mode.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

The DEL key is often used to access the BIOS, but not the Boot Device selection menu. varun77sports is correct if he meant to access the BIOS (F1 and F2 are often used as well). Usually F11 or F12 are used for the boot selection menu.