Solved

Compatibility of two hard drives-please help

hi. i'm no pro so please ignore mistakes

i had and still have a
seagate ST3320613AS
i have a
seagate ST31000524AS (new)

[mainboard: Gigabyte GA-M61SME-S2 v2]
[Optical Drive: Optiarc DVD RW AD-5170A ATA Device]

i am using sata2 to connect my new hard drive (it's sata3).

the problem happens when i want to copy from my old drive to the new one. it seems like they don't have the same speed one should wait for the other. the new hdd works for about 5 seconds, it stops for a while (no led blink) and then again five seconds...
therefore copy speed is about 1MB/s and i also have the same problem with my optical drive.

what should i do?should i change the new hdd? buy a new optical drive? is there a software to somehow umm.. synchronise speeds?!
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about compatibility hard drives please help
  1. Best answer
    When you go into device manager are there any yellow exclamation points? It sounds like you don't have the chipset drivers installed.

    Also, the newest bios is F9. F10 is a beta.

    You didn't mention which OS you have so here are the chipset drivers. Select your OS.

    http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2507&dl=1#driver
  2. Hawkeye22 said:
    When you go into device manager are there any yellow exclamation points? It sounds like you don't have the chipset drivers installed.

    Also, the newest bios is F9. F10 is a beta.

    You didn't mention which OS you have so here are the chipset drivers. Select your OS.

    http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2507&dl=1#driver

    no not any yellow exclamations
    mine is F10a already
    and the OS is Seven 32bit...the only drivers in Gigabyte website is for audio. also nvidia website hasn't listed chipset nForce6100-405 for driver downloads:(
  3. Nvidia does have drivers. It's here:

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-32bit-260.99-whql-driver.html

    The main page is here and you have to select geforce 6 series to see the 6100.

    http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

    Aslo,you may want to check your drive controllers in the device manager and make sure they are running in DMA mode and not falling back to PIO mode. Worst case, you can uninstall the drive controllers in the device manager, reboot, and windows should reinstall the drivers with DMA mode back on.
  4. Hawkeye22 said:
    Nvidia does have drivers. It's here:

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-32bit-260.99-whql-driver.html

    The main page is here and you have to select geforce 6 series to see the 6100.

    http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

    Aslo,you may want to check your drive controllers in the device manager and make sure they are running in DMA mode and not falling back to PIO mode. Worst case, you can uninstall the drive controllers in the device manager, reboot, and windows should reinstall the drivers with DMA mode back on.

    DriverAgent Scan shows these as bad drivers:
    NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller
    NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
    NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    CSR Bluetooth Device
    the first link you gave has lots of things about graphic card i think not the motherboard.should i download it?
    how should i check those drive controllers?
  5. You don't need to update the video drivers unless you're having specific problems with a game or something.

    When viewing the drive controller in the device manager, right click on it and select properties. DMA setting will be on the advanced tab. If it's not there, you can right click on the controller and select "uninstall". It will be reinstalled on reboot.
  6. Hawkeye22 said:
    You don't need to update the video drivers unless you're having specific problems with a game or something.

    When viewing the drive controller in the device manager, right click on it and select properties. DMA setting will be on the advanced tab. If it's not there, you can right click on the controller and select "uninstall". It will be reinstalled on reboot.

    DMA's fine. I right clicked on things related to chipset (device manager) and updated driver softwares..seems better now..i managed to copy everything from ST3320613AS but no change in the optical drive. by the way it's very obvious (to ears) when my new hard drive is working. the previous one was mostly silent :s
  7. You may need to update the firmware in the optical drive. It can be found here.

    http://www.sony-optiarc.us/en/support-service/downloads/fw_dvd-writer-ad-series.html
  8. Hawkeye22 said:
    You may need to update the firmware in the optical drive. It can be found here.

    http://www.sony-optiarc.us/en/support-service/downloads/fw_dvd-writer-ad-series.html

    how should i know if it is P-ATA or S-ATA?
  9. P-ATA uses the older ribbon cables to connect to the motherboard. SATA is the narrow new cables that come with motherboards.

    Here is a picture. ATA is the same as PATA.

    http://attachments.techguy.org/attachments/91992d1163619956/ata-sata.gif
  10. i have to turn off the pc as the firmware utility says. thank you so much hawkeye22
  11. Best answer selected by bdp963.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Optical Media Compatibility Storage