SD Card Splitter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

encima

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Hi All,

I have seen various SD Card extenders over the internet but I was wondering if it was possible to split an SD card?

Ideally, I would like to put a Dummy SD card in my Digital Camera ands have the actual SD card in my laptop so that any images taken would be saved on the laptop, even though the camera thinks its saving it to its own SD card?

I don't mind if it is a case of making something, I just wanted to make sure it was possible and if anyone knew a way of going about it?

Thanks in advance!

That is impossible at least wirelessly

What COULD be possible is to make a take a SD card rip out the insides, get a cable with a few wires (whatever the amount the SD card has) and solder them onto the SD card metal tips on the inside, than run that cable into your working SD card (leave the insides of this alone) and solder the wires onto the tips, so the data would be saved on the "remote" SD card that could be plugged into your laptop, however I worry about the devices accessing the same file system could cause problems. You would also be limited to how long your SD card cable is.

Some camera's allow you to take pictures without an SD card and have them sent to a compter via USB as you take them, and they get saved there but not all models have that functionality.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Have you looked at this product?

http://www.amazon.com/Eye-Fi-Share-Wireless-Memory-EYE-FI-2GB-B/dp/B001AD0TGG/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

encima

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Thanks to both of you, I definitely do not plan to do this wirelessly! I have heard about the Eye-fi and I do think it is a cool concept.

My ideal situation is:
-Camera taking images upon motion detection.
-Saving image to 'dummy' SD card.
-PC listens for image on SD card and picks up that one has been saved.
-PC then runs bespoke program in order to send image to myself/upload to web.

Hope that makes it clearer, and it does appear that I may need to get some electronic engineers involved!

Thanks for the help so far guys!

Oh wow I didnt even know such a product existed. in that case I would recommend this device as it does it wirelessly. The Eye-Fi sounds like the right product. Nice catch COLGeek.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

I can't vouch for how well it works. I came across in a magazine on a LONG flight a few months again and the OP's question piqued my memory. In concept, this should be close.

However, I get the distinct impression that the OP is looking for something like my brother uses for hunting. Something like this, but with a wireless transmitter:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10206405_425002006_425000000_425002000?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

Status
Not open for further replies.