Intel Architecture vs AMD architecture, which is better?

Upendra09

Distinguished
This is the Second part of "how will AMD stay alive?"

SO AMD is slowly recovering from i7.

Any way what are the main differennces between AMD and Intel? by this i mean what makes Intel able to perform so well

the topics that are to be taken into consideration are but not limited to are:

Micro architecture
Popularity
Marketing
Business ethics
abilities to do well in overall market

so think about this and reply

Jennyh, TC, and Fazers feel free to show ur technological superiority here

jamesgoddard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
And a good dollop of luck - if it were not for the Pentium M / Merom side project being run by the Israeli R&D team, Intel would be well and truly sunk right now. Intel had two flagship products coming out 10 years ago, P4 (that they thought would take them to 10GHz LOL) and Itanium - we know now how both of these crashed and burned.

intelx

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
of course Intel got a better architecture in the new ones (not the old ones where athlon vs Pentium 4) because if u compare both cpus from each intel and amd, having both at the same clock with the same number of cache, u can tell from the benchmarks that intel's is better.

but when it comes to AMD there processors are cheaper, in fact they just released a athlon X4 for only 100$ and preforms very sold.

its not about who faster, its about price vs performance when it comes to markets.

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
+1

Architecture vs. Architecture? Meh. The issue (pertaining to the "how will AMD stay alive" discussion) is one of execution, not technology.

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Well obviously when you look at Intel vs AMD clock for clock, sure, intel is better. But what's important in the end is the value of what you get. I think in that area AMD does very well.

In terms of sheer profit, Intel will take the cake for sometime to come. Why? Marketing. For example, the best way to get your message out about any product are through commercials. Most people watch TV and it is no surprise to see far more Intel commercials than AMD commercials (come to think of it, I haven't seen any AMD commercials).

The more you get your brand name out there, the more it's going to get into people's heads, especially those that aren't into technology or do not have a clue in regard to the differences between AMD and Intel products. There is no doubt that AMD is stronger is some areas than Intel, but many do not know that. So when they go out to buy a new computer, there is a good chance they will be hunting for something that involves Intel's logo simply because of Intel's exposure through TV.

That's just one example, but when it comes to the games of business and marketing, Intel does indeed take the cake.

intelx

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
actually both suck, sometime soon im going to make a new chip, im thinking of naming it "the Ultimate CPU" that's when people are going to bow before me and clean my feet whenever they get dirty, then i will rule the whole world and make them all say my name repeatedly, with girls all over me (more than what eminem get right now)

so yea just stay tuned.

Upendra09

Distinguished
And when you do get to that make sure it is native x64, has pci buses integrated, ram buses integrated and that it comes with at least 5ghz stock and scales to 12 ghz on air and 16 ghz LN2 and then price it competitively at 350 USD