Sign in with
Your question

DDR400 memory

Last response: in Motherboards
December 30, 2009 1:29:09 PM

Hi all,

I have an ancient A8N-SLI based system, about to get a refresh with 2 x 9800GT graphics cards. I'm thinking of upgrading to Win7 and sorting the memory out too - it currently has 4 x 512 DDR400.

Someone suggested that the motherboard will only cope with 4GB at DDR333 - is that true? If so, is it worth upgrading?

How much difference will there be between CL3 and CL2.5 memory? Is there anything else I should be looking out for? I will probably play around with overclocking it a bit...

Finally, can anyone suggest some specific memory and a retailer (I'm in the UK)? It's been so long since I've been up-to-date with memory specs and these are so out of date that my brain is starting to hurt!!

Thanks in advance - Adam...

More about : ddr400 memory

December 30, 2009 6:35:25 PM

Some of those motherboards will lower the speed down to 333mhz when the ram is maxed out. I just recently bought me some Crucial DDR400 ram off Amazon. They were about $25 USD a piece. You won't notice a difference between CL 2.5 and CL 3.

I you're gonna go to Windows 7, then having more than 2 gigs of ram is worth it. Windows uses up almost 1 gig of ram which doesn't leave you much room to play with.

But, if you're gonna spend $100 on ram, add another $200 and get a new motherboard and CPU as well.
!