skylinegtr191

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I built my rig in Feb and really went all out. The only problem is, no matter what I do, my temps are always too high. I've tried using just the dot in the middle and also spreading the compound and it didn't make a lick of difference. I've tried all kinds of OC guides and still no dice. Is it possible I just got a really hot 2600k?

I see people posting their idle/load temps and voltages and I can't believe it. maxing out at 65c @1.35ish volts? **** that, the best I can do is 80c. In fact, that's what I've been doing till now. Just keeping it under 81c and accepting it. Well I'm sick of it. I want a cool running PC too.

Its messed up cause i can have it running stock and temps max out around 73c. 4.2ghz is 75c. 4.5ghz is 80c. 4.6ghz is 81c. And my voltage? It HAS to be at or above 1.350 if i go past 4.2ghz.

Here is my setup. Someone ****ing show me the way! If i cant get temps in line with everyone else's then it must be this pos mobo or a hot cpu. Thanks.

corsair h70 with dot method at the moment
miv extreme b3
ripjaws 1600mhz
gtx 580
800d with about 7 fans

and i just wanna say i know there are a million of these threads but everytime i have tried asking for help in someone elses thread i get b****** at or it gets passed up. once i have a definitive answer to what i should do for my particular situation ill delete this thread

i have a 5000 dollar amazon card standing by so if i need some high class water cooling or i should try another 2600k, say so!@ i dont care

Solution

Your stock temp does seem a little high, but when I run above 4.5GHz, my temps are in line with yours. In fact, when I run at 4.9GHz (best stable OC I've been able to achieve, Vcore = 1.426), my delta-TJ is only about 12C, meaning my temps are getting up to 86C. I don't see your temps as being that high for the cooling you have.

I doubt that people who are "maxing out at 65C @1.35ish volts" are getting OCs that high unless they are using a more exotic cooling system. Even then I don't know how you can get there with a Vcore that low.

I...

MrBig55

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Every chip is different so you cannot really look at someone temps to compare to yours. It all depends on many things. What are your stock clock temps at idle/gaming?? Let's do some theory. Doubling clocks will double temps. If you double voltage, then your not just doubling temperature, your raising temps by a factor of 3 or 4. Raising both will get you Sun like temps real fast...

Furthermore you really don't need to raise voltage to overclock. Since you won't gain far more mhz by upping voltages, you should not touch voltages at all!

If I were you, I would build this computer outside it's case to see if things gets better. Then you start from there. 80 degrees is pretty high though. Try putting a BIG FAN pointing on cpu (that same fan as the one you need to get to sleep in summer...) just to see if things gets better. Also go check voltages in the BIOS just to be sure they are not over the default settings...

If things don't improve, you'll probably need better cooling if you really need to overclock.

4745454b

Titan
You put your chip at 1.4v? I thought you weren't supposed to much past 1.3 with these? (I'm not up to date on the newest Intel CPUs, so I could be wrong.)

Usually when people say they are having temp issues, I tell them to take the motherboard out of the case. Make POSITIVELY SURE the heatsink is on correctly. One corner not down all the way and your temps will be higher then they should be. Seeing as you have a "water cooler", I'd also see if you can try it on someone elses machine. Perhaps you have a bat H70?

homegun

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

Your stock temp does seem a little high, but when I run above 4.5GHz, my temps are in line with yours. In fact, when I run at 4.9GHz (best stable OC I've been able to achieve, Vcore = 1.426), my delta-TJ is only about 12C, meaning my temps are getting up to 86C. I don't see your temps as being that high for the cooling you have.

I doubt that people who are "maxing out at 65C @1.35ish volts" are getting OCs that high unless they are using a more exotic cooling system. Even then I don't know how you can get there with a Vcore that low.

I use the Arctic Silver 5 "three stripe" method and it works pretty well.

Bottom line: IMO, you're not seeing anything unusual or unexpected from your setup.

Solution

skylinegtr191

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
First of all i want to say thank you to the replies. All very nice and some good ideas for me to test out this weekend. I do appreciate it. Next weekend i will take them system out of the case and see what the temps are. Then i will remove the H70 and reapply if they are still high. If it is still high i will purchase a different cooler and see what's up. And lastly another 2600k to see if that's what it is. As far as temps go, when i game at 4.6ghz it only reaches around 69-73ish so i guess its nothing to freak out about. thanks again. I will update with my results.

I know it's frustrating as hell trying to cool and get a descent overclock out of your 2600K, but the 2500K is also a hot sucker too, these CPUs are just hot and that's all there is to it.

So basically there's nothing wrong with your M/B or CPU, the problem is the H70 water cooler really does not out perform a Thermalright 120 Extreme Air Cooler, so what to do?

You're either going to have to go Big Water, some guys are using multiple radiators, good quality pump, reservoir, etc., but to get what you're after you won't achieve it half stepping, (Been There Done That!), you'll have to go for it.

Or there is another option that I took, you can at least look into it as you decide how you want to proceed.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/267412-29-sandy-bridge-water-cooling-project

I know how you feel, I'll help as much as I can! Ryan

pat

Expert

This remind me the Athlon Thunderbird. These sucker were running hot too, and everybody were complaining about them overheating. Sure enough, at the time, no ones were used to deal with the higher heat output.. cases were closed box with only the PSU fan for cooling... Video card started to output heat as well as HDD too.. That was fun! First case with windows were invented at this time.. It was called side panel open!

skylinegtr191

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009

I may take that advice. Okay so last night the entire system was removed from the case and i reapplied the thermal paste (noctua stuff) using the dot in the middle method. Once it was all setup again, i ran some tests and the temps were only a measly 5c lower across the board. I'm just gonna say F it like i did earlier and live with it. My only concern is it seems like a ton of people with air coolers report temps way lower. Either they are full of **** or I got a hot chip. Plain and simple. I'm starting to lean towards the first one.

Thanks again for all the helpful replies. It has been a long time since i came to a forum, asked a question and actually got a ton of helpful replies instead of people just whining about forum rules, ect. As i said earlier, i know there are a lot of these too hot threads so i will close this one soon as i bookmark all the links listed here. you guys are awesome.

Ref: http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/324641.pdf

Table 7-5, pg 78 Max vcore 1.52 Volts
Table 7-6, pg 79 Max Dimm Voltage 1.575 **
** Unless otherwise noted, all specifications in this table are based on estimates and simulations or empirical data. These specifications will be updated with characterized data from silicon measurements at a later date.
My Note: I'm using 1.60 for DDR3-1600 CL7 and know many use the 1.65 V dimm modules.

On temps, My 2500k runs cooler than my i5-750. (have better HSF on I5-2500k, but run it @ 4.2 where as the I5-750 is @ 3.2 (fair jump in HSF Eff, but BIG jump in freq.
Up to 5.0 GHz - On Hx0 vs air HSF, Agree with 4Ryan6. The H50/60 are beat by the top 5, or 10 air HSF, Not sure about the H70, but probably not a big improvement over
predicessor. Air starts hitting a limit around 5.0 and higher, where as a good H20 will have a higher point where it's ability to cool starts tappers off.