Think my 8800GT GPU is overheating, any easy fixes?

redvandam

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
I've been having a problem recently with my computer freezing and shutting down while playing computer games recently. It's the same set-up I've been using since the 8800GTs were new.

I am fairly certain it's a heating problem becasue I was playing a game yesterday on high graphics then after turning everything up to ultra high it crashed my comp after about 30 mins of playing. I could also hear the fan ramping up before it crashed.

I suppose my question is that I don't want to spend too much money on replacing or fixing components. So does anyone have a cheap (-$50) fix like another fan I can put in the tower.

I use to use Rivatuner but uninstalled it recently, if I installed back on my computer what is a good setting for the fan?

redvandam

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
I should also mention I have a very open spaced tower, a 750W power supply, and a combined 4 fans circulating air in the tower. The GPU is still mighty hot though.

Also, I just reinstalled Rivatuner and it has my GPU at 90 degrees C with no real GPU load. Is that normal?

redvandam

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
I thought it was possible that the card was on it's way out.

Just to clarify, the HSF is the heat sink?

What do you think of a GPU fan for some extra cooling.

Right now my only goal is to as long as possible with my current GPU and only buy a new one when this one is useless.

Also, with the freezing and hardboots that this GPU is causing my computer, are there any other dangers I should know about? Will it fry my motherboard or something like that?

Buying a new HSF for a 8800 GT would be a waste of money. For 50$ more he got a stronger new card.

@ Redvandam: Yes, HSF is "Heat Sink Fan unit" in common English.
I have not heard of a failing or failed GPU causing extra damage.
I think an extra fan would be wasted on a dust clogged heatsink, but if it is clear, the usual trick is to stick a case fan to the card blowing into the fan aperture.

sepayne21

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
have you updated your bios/firmware (i can't remember which one was the problem) on the card. When they first came out there was a problem with the fanspeed stuck at something like 35%. I updated my bios/firmware on mine and temps came down and the fan speed would increase as temps increased which kept the card at 80C or under while gaming.