How do I actually put my computer together???

musicman978

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
QUESTION: Can you direct me to a site or tell me some things that are important while physically putting my computer together.

ok so i planned out all of the parts i wanna get. But im not sure how to properly put my comp together. I know the basic stuff. But im sure there are special techniques or careful things that i have to pay attention to.

I have checked various sites for how to build...but it seems like they are too general and are overlooking some things. I just wanna know what experienced people think is the best way to put together a computer :)

sepayne21

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
everything prettymuch fits where it's supposed to. if it doesn't fit easily, don't force it. also, post your parts here to make sure everything is compatible.

most cpu's come with thermal compound already ready, so you "can" just use that, but I would recommend using artic silver 5. look at a utube video on applying it... unless you just want to do the easy thing and use what is already applied.

Some suggestions:
Download and read the instruction manuals for the motherboard and case that you are considering.
In particular, look to see where the front panel leads plug in to the motherboard.
Be certain where to install your ram if all the slots are not to be filled.

Push pin coolers can be tricky to install. Backplate mounts are easier, and more secure.
A bad installation can lead to higher temperatures, and even cpu throttling.

Push pin coolers are best installed while the motherboard is outside of the case.
You need to be able to look at the back of the board to verify that
all 4 pins are completely through and locked.
Play with the pins on the cooler first, so you can see exactly how they work.
Read the instructions that came with your retail cpu.
When pushing down on the pins, do a diagonal pair first.
If you don't, it is hard to get the last pin in.
Don't forget to clean the parts and reapply fresh thermal compound every time.
Don't try to reuse the TIM.
Rubbing alcohol is OK as a cleaner.
I use a paper coffee filter to clean with because it is lint free.
Any name brand TIM should be OK(as-5, Mx-2, etc.)
When applying the TIM, don't use too much, because it can act as an insulator.
Don't apply too little, either, because it won't spread and fill the microscopic
imperfections in the surfaces. A dollop about the size of a grain
of rice should be about right.

You might want to assemble the parts first outside of the case on a piece of cardboard.
Test it there for basic functioning before installing it in the case.

---good luck

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Buy a quality FULL TOWER CASE. I know, sounds n00by & silly, but the extra space makes your task of stuffing in components much easier.

It's already been advised to assemble mobo+cpu+hs/fan + 1-ramstick outside the case. Plug it in and see if the fan turns. If yes, then plugin vidcard+monitor and look for the boot_screen. If yes, then instruct galpal to pour tall martini.

Oh yeah, the WWW has excellent vids showing HS/fan install for almost all models.

K1ash3r

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Im in the exact situation you are, I alredy got most of my parts but the problem is Im not exactly comfortable putting them together.

My biggest worrie is how to install Xigmatek Dark Knight cooler. It doesn not use brackets or pushpins I think it uses like come sort of clips on either side. not sure about thermal paste either.