Nightlife: WHOA! YOU CAN SEE THE 'HOOD!!! :-D

Last response: in Video Games
June 10, 2005 12:30:06 AM

http://www.snootysims.com/nightlife/nlife25.jpg

AWESOME!!! I've been waiting for this, for soooooooooooo long lol

More about : nightlife whoa hood

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:30:07 AM

Well, they did tell us this some time ago (i.e. when they announced the new
EP) but it does look pretty good. Nice pics.

Best wishes
Maxon

"Guardian Pegasus"
<Pope.Been-a-Dick.Adolf.Panzer.Rat.Nazinger.Torquemada.II@holysee.va> wrote
in message news:ik2ha1dmg5fqfln4m68ts7k4c4iickr67p@4ax.com...

Guardian Pegasus wrote:
> http://www.snootysims.com/nightlife/nlife25.jpg
>
> AWESOME!!! I've been waiting for this, for soooooooooooo long lol

And now for the devil's-advocate other side of the equation:

WHOA! YOU CAN SEE YOUR COMPUTER GOING AT 8 FPS!! I TOOK A WHOLE BM AND
GINA CALIENTE IS STILL CROSSING THE STREET!! ;-)

--
--Cuth
Anonymous

Guardian Pegasus wrote:
> http://www.snootysims.com/nightlife/nlife25.jpg

The neighbourhood looks much better than I expected it to, I wonder how far
it goes and if we can adjust (sp?) that.

Is it me or does the resolution look higher than 1024x768 in some of those
pictures?
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:30:07 AM

Oh my....Uni is cool but Nightlife!!! RESTAURANTS!!! I think that's what i
miss the most.Something else to do than buy clothes when they go
downtown.That's great...three months to wait though.I'll try not to look at
the previews too often....
"Guardian Pegasus"
<Pope.Been-a-Dick.Adolf.Panzer.Rat.Nazinger.Torquemada.II@holysee.va> wrote
in message news:ik2ha1dmg5fqfln4m68ts7k4c4iickr67p@4ax.com...
> http://www.snootysims.com/nightlife/nlife25.jpg
>
> AWESOME!!! I've been waiting for this, for soooooooooooo long lol
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:30:07 AM

Oh, my, lordy lord.

I really have to get this expansion. Now THIS, should have been the
first EP. University's ok but... THIS.

*jumps for joy*

~*~
vecki
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:32:06 AM

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 20:30:06 +0200, Guardian Pegasus
wrote:

>http://www.snootysims.com/nightlife/nlife25.jpg
>
>AWESOME!!! I've been waiting for this, for soooooooooooo long lol

Some more info from a Maxis rep:

You'll have driveway pieces that you can place on your lot. One that
connects to the street, one that you can connect to it to make it go
further back (as far back as you want, actually. You can attach
multiples.)
Garages will be built in normal build mode...you just enclose the
driveway with walls.
Actually, you can park your car in your living room, if it's big
enough... at least, I think you can.
I haven't tried yet. ;)

The car will always drive to the end of the driveway, then stop.
And yes, the garage doors will open and close. Of course!

Just a few little details I thought might interest you guys. :)
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:34:01 AM

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 18:26:54 GMT, "Maxon"
<jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:

>Well, they did tell us this some time ago (i.e. when they announced the new
>EP) but it does look pretty good. Nice pics.

Oh, lol.. I had no idea! This has been one of my top complaints for so
long! And there is no technical reason why they couldn't do it.
Besides, the other houses aren't actually *there*, they're just 3d
images if you look closely. Sort of like the dithered structures in
the neighbourhood screen.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:34:02 AM

You can see on this one the rating meter for the dating mini game?

http://www.snootysims.com/nightlife/nlife29.jpg

in message news:vq2ha1l3vp82ni19g2eqi44q7ikd0ua4hv@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 18:26:54 GMT, "Maxon"
> <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> >Well, they did tell us this some time ago (i.e. when they announced the
new
> >EP) but it does look pretty good. Nice pics.
>
> Oh, lol.. I had no idea! This has been one of my top complaints for so
> long! And there is no technical reason why they couldn't do it.
> Besides, the other houses aren't actually *there*, they're just 3d
> images if you look closely. Sort of like the dithered structures in
> the neighbourhood screen.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:34:04 AM

> Oh and Miss C
>
> http://www.snootysims.com/nightlife/nlife30.jpg

Oh Wow! Now her, I like!!!!

You should be able to get a Sim to do that. 'Administer slap over the
ear-hole'. Yes.

GG
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:37:49 AM

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 18:26:54 GMT, "Maxon"
<jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:

>Well, they did tell us this some time ago (i.e. when they announced the new
>EP) but it does look pretty good. Nice pics.

Yeah! Look at 17, look at the INCREDIBLE new lighting detail! Even
their clothes and skin have realistic lighting, or at least, lighting
that makes it look realistic.

24 shows a rug!

27 shows a weird date-o-meter in the top right corner.....
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:37:50 AM

Guardian Pegasus wrote:

> Yeah! Look at 17, look at the INCREDIBLE new lighting detail! Even
> their clothes and skin have realistic lighting, or at least, lighting
> that makes it look realistic.
>
> 24 shows a rug!
>
> 27 shows a weird date-o-meter in the top right corner.....

I think No. 13 is pretty amazing-looking, though the thought that my
Sims will soon be able to dance like John Travolta is scary...

--
--Cuth
Anonymous

Cuthbert Gurdlestone wrote:
> Guardian Pegasus wrote:
>
>> Yeah! Look at 17, look at the INCREDIBLE new lighting detail! Even
>> their clothes and skin have realistic lighting, or at least, lighting
>> that makes it look realistic.
>>
>> 24 shows a rug!
>>
>> 27 shows a weird date-o-meter in the top right corner.....
>
> I think No. 13 is pretty amazing-looking, though the thought that my
> Sims will soon be able to dance like John Travolta is scary...

The first picture seems to show a split-level room and you can see the sims
and objects on both levels.

Jeanie
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:38:23 AM

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 18:34:33 GMT, "Maxon"
<jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:

>You can see on this one the rating meter for the dating mini game?

Looks like it... not sure if I like that... hrm...
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:39:52 AM

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 18:34:33 GMT, "Maxon"
<jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:

>You can see on this one the rating meter for the dating mini game?
>
>http://www.snootysims.com/nightlife/nlife29.jpg

More from Maxis:

Personality, Aspiration, and Zodiac Sign are all factors in
attraction...But also the turn-ons and turn-offs of the Sims...these
could be things like Red Hair, Glasses, or Cologne/Perfume! :)  You
pick your turn-ons and turn-offs in Create-a-Sim, and can change them
with a special new aspiration reward object...

TURN ONS!? LOL! Apparently you can buy cologne too.. cool hehe
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:39:53 AM

Yeah I read that too - now that sounds interesting - as long as we can have
turn ons that involve, I dunno, big feet or hairy armpits. If we're stuck
with pretty-pretty things I'm sending the box back.

in message news:e63ha1tc37851bm3g0812cbk9vq8tvcv2f@4ax.com...

Guardian Pegasus wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 18:34:33 GMT, "Maxon"
> <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:
>

>>You can see on this one the rating meter for the dating mini game?
>>
>>http://www.snootysims.com/nightlife/nlife29.jpg
>

> More from Maxis:
>
> Personality, Aspiration, and Zodiac Sign are all factors in
> attraction...But also the turn-ons and turn-offs of the Sims...

Oh my God, the (dirty) mind reels!

:-) :-) :-)

Soon Sims will come with profiles like Playboy/girl Playmates.

--
--Cuth
Anonymous

Oh there's a setting for that in the options panel.

Best wishes
Maxon

> The first picture seems to show a split-level room and you can see the
sims
> and objects on both levels.
>
> Jeanie

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:45:07 AM

It says you can adjust it in the accompanying blurb.

Best wishes
Maxon

"Will Bradshaw" <spam@beasolutions.com> wrote in message
> Guardian Pegasus wrote:
> > http://www.snootysims.com/nightlife/nlife25.jpg
>
> The neighbourhood looks much better than I expected it to, I wonder how
far
> it goes and if we can adjust (sp?) that.
>
> Is it me or does the resolution look higher than 1024x768 in some of those
> pictures?

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:49:48 AM

Am Thu, 09 Jun 2005 20:39:52 +0200 schrieb Guardian Pegasus:

> More from Maxis:
>
> Personality, Aspiration, and Zodiac Sign are all factors in
> attraction...But also the turn-ons and turn-offs of the Sims...these
> could be things like Red Hair, Glasses, or Cologne/Perfume! :)  You
> pick your turn-ons and turn-offs in Create-a-Sim, and can change them
> with a special new aspiration reward object...
>
> TURN ONS!? LOL! Apparently you can buy cologne too.. cool hehe

This definitely sounds a lot more thrilling than the first news about
University ;D

Dorte
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 1:04:29 AM

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 18:45:33 GMT, "Maxon"
<jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:

>Last one (honest)
>
>RUGS!!
>
>http://www.snootysims.com/nightlife/nlife23.jpg

I've had rugs for months now, lol, but not Maxis ones :-)
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 1:04:30 AM

Yeah and I'm wondering whether they'll be compatible or will cause problems.
Actually, I don't see why they should since they are just objects. I
decided not to DL the custom rugs and wait for Maxis to get round to it -
they were bound to do it, rugs are one of the most popular type of object.

in message news:jl4ha19fn0gniuvlqe58ge55sijr85grhv@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 18:45:33 GMT, "Maxon"
> <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> >Last one (honest)
> >
> >RUGS!!
> >
> >http://www.snootysims.com/nightlife/nlife23.jpg
>
> I've had rugs for months now, lol, but not Maxis ones :-)
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 1:05:13 AM

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 18:48:56 GMT, Cuthbert Gurdlestone
<chgurdlestone1154@earthlink.net> wrote:

>WHOA! YOU CAN SEE YOUR COMPUTER GOING AT 8 FPS!! I TOOK A WHOLE BM AND
>GINA CALIENTE IS STILL CROSSING THE STREET!! ;-)

LOL... nah, I don't think it'll eat that much power. It doesn't show
just the actual house. It's visual trickery :-)
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 1:05:14 AM

Guardian Pegasus wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 18:48:56 GMT, Cuthbert Gurdlestone
> <chgurdlestone1154@earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>>WHOA! YOU CAN SEE YOUR COMPUTER GOING AT 8 FPS!! I TOOK A WHOLE BM AND
>>GINA CALIENTE IS STILL CROSSING THE STREET!! ;-)
>

> LOL... nah, I don't think it'll eat that much power. It doesn't show
> just the actual house. It's visual trickery :-)

So you can't walk inside and borrow a cup of sugar? Bummer!

--
--Cuth
Anonymous

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 19:00:34 GMT, "Will Bradshaw"
<spam@beasolutions.com> wrote:

>The neighbourhood looks much better than I expected it to, I wonder how far
>it goes and if we can adjust (sp?) that.
>
>Is it me or does the resolution look higher than 1024x768 in some of those
>pictures?

Looks to me like they've decreased the polys of the architecture. And
it only seems to show the closest lots, but that's still much better
than staring into nothingness. It adds a lot to immersion.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 1:07:24 AM

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 20:49:48 +0200, Dorte Sch√ľnecke
<schueneckeDELETE@web.de> wrote:

>This definitely sounds a lot more thrilling than the first news about
>University ;D

And driveways, garages, and self-opening garagedoors! :-D
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 2:51:09 AM

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 20:44:02 GMT, "Maxon"
<jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:

>Oh there's a setting for that in the options panel.

What's a split-level room? And what's the setting for it? lol
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 2:51:10 AM

Guardian Pegasus wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 20:44:02 GMT, "Maxon"
> <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:
>

>>Oh there's a setting for that in the options panel.
>

> What's a split-level room? And what's the setting for it? lol

Sunken living room! Split level home. Multilevel deck.

You know- so Jeanie can do the Brady home, where they had to step down
into the living room and into the den.

-georg
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 2:53:24 AM

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 16:24:09 -0400, "claire veilleux"
<cveilleux@lynxx.net> wrote:

>Oh my....Uni is cool but Nightlife!!! RESTAURANTS!!! I think that's what i
>miss the most.Something else to do than buy clothes when they go
>downtown.That's great...three months to wait though.I'll try not to look at
>the previews too often....

Well, you're getting your wish, next EP, SIM FARM! :-D hehe
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 4:04:40 AM

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 21:21:26 GMT, georg <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote:

>You know- so Jeanie can do the Brady home, where they had to step down
>into the living room and into the den.

Oooh, interesting design idea.. must try it :-D
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 4:04:41 AM

There's a good tutorial by Mike Inside at Mod the Sims (or at least you'll
find the link to his site there) and the setting in options is something
like make objects visible - without starting up the game I can't remember
exactly what. It's a pretty nice thing to do - split levels - looks
groovy - I made a public library with a sunken area and modular stairs which
I'm quite pleased with. I'd post a pic in binaries only most of you don't
seem to be able to access binary groups.

in message news:e7fha1t9nr1m2pm9626s9pv7q3056hjo5j@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 21:21:26 GMT, georg <thegeorg@stny.rr.com> wrote:
>
> >You know- so Jeanie can do the Brady home, where they had to step down
> >into the living room and into the den.
>
> Oooh, interesting design idea.. must try it :-D
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 4:04:42 AM

Maxon wrote:
> There's a good tutorial by Mike Inside at Mod the Sims (or at least
> you'll find the link to his site there) and the setting in options is
> something like make objects visible - without starting up the game I
> can't remember exactly what. It's a pretty nice thing to do - split
> levels - looks
> groovy - I made a public library with a sunken area and modular
> stairs which I'm quite pleased with. I'd post a pic in binaries only
> most of you don't seem to be able to access binary groups.
>
> Best wishes
> Maxon

I never knew about that setting. I'll have to look for it when I fire the
game up again. I know I built a house with a giant roman bathroom with the
in-floor hot tub in the sunken area with plants all around it. It looked
terrific, but was a bitch to play so I got rid of it.

Jeanie
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 5:25:21 AM

vecki wrote:
> Oh, my, lordy lord.
>
> I really have to get this expansion. Now THIS, should have been the
> first EP. University's ok but... THIS.
>
> *jumps for joy*
>
> ~*~
> vecki

Well, think about it. If they'd released Nightlife first, nobody would have
wanted to buy University. But by releasing Uni first, we all went out and
bought it and now we'll go buy Nightlife. And those who haven't bought
University will buy Nightlife and then realize that some of the nifty
objects they've seen in the promo photos were actually from University, or
they will need the cheats in University in order to get the ones in
Nightlife to work (or something -- you guys know how Maxis does things) and
when they go buy University, they'll have to uninstall everything and put it
back in the order of release, same as we had with Sims1.

I got University for the diagonal cheat and the new hair and objects,
basically. I played through university once but may never do that again.
I'll still send the teens there, but I'll use cheats to get them through
quick, just so they can have those extra careers and stuff.

I'll buy Nightlife, though, because I'm excited by the game possibilities.

Can you imagine Barney Fife in a disco? ROFLMAO!

Jeanie
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 5:47:36 AM

Maxon wrote:
> There's a good tutorial by Mike Inside at Mod the Sims (or at least you'll
> find the link to his site there) and the setting in options is something
> like make objects visible - without starting up the game I can't remember
> exactly what.

Object hiding?

It's the closest thing I can think of.

--
--Cuth
Anonymous

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 17:54:30 -0500, "Betty" <bdj2005@nospamvalor.com>
wrote:

>Yes, but it feels so homey now. LOL I also have been wanting this
>feature.

That's exactly it! It feels like a REAL neighbourhood now... not a
solitary island far far away... like an episode of twilight zone or
something.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 7:43:55 AM

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 22:51:14 GMT, "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote:

>I never knew about that setting. I'll have to look for it when I fire the
>game up again. I know I built a house with a giant roman bathroom with the
>in-floor hot tub in the sunken area with plants all around it. It looked
>terrific, but was a bitch to play so I got rid of it.

I've always had it on, had no idea what it did hehe
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 11:07:42 AM

Cuthbert Gurdlestone wrote:
> Maxon wrote:
>
>> There's a good tutorial by Mike Inside at Mod the Sims (or at least
>> you'll
>> find the link to his site there) and the setting in options is something
>> like make objects visible - without starting up the game I can't
>> remember
>> exactly what.
>

> Object hiding?
>
> It's the closest thing I can think of.

Funny thing about that is--I was just reading the instruction manual--it
says to improve game performance turn Object Hiding to OFF.

Why would that improve game performance? It would seem to me if the
game is not hiding objects--ie, the computer has to render every item in
a mlti-story house--that would harm performance, not improve it.

--
--Cuth
Anonymous

Yes, quite right, semantically that doesn't make sense but it means when set
to off you can't see them.

Anyway Object Hiding was indeed the thing I was thinking of.

Best wishes
Maxon

> Cuthbert Gurdlestone wrote:
> > Maxon wrote:
> >
> >> There's a good tutorial by Mike Inside at Mod the Sims (or at least
> >> you'll
> >> find the link to his site there) and the setting in options is
something
> >> like make objects visible - without starting up the game I can't
> >> remember
> >> exactly what.
> >

> > Object hiding?
> >
> > It's the closest thing I can think of.
> >

> Funny thing about that is--I was just reading the instruction manual--it
> says to improve game performance turn Object Hiding to OFF.
>
> Why would that improve game performance? It would seem to me if the
> game is not hiding objects--ie, the computer has to render every item in
> a mlti-story house--that would harm performance, not improve it.
>
> --
> --Cuth

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 5:44:23 PM

> You can see on this one the rating meter for the dating mini game?
>
> http://www.snootysims.com/nightlife/nlife29.jpg
>
> Best wishes
> Maxon

I sort of like that. Also, are those bleachers in the background? It looks
like a high school dance in the gym.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 8:43:49 PM

Guardian Pegasus wrote in alt.games.the-sims:

> On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 16:24:09 -0400, "claire veilleux"
> <cveilleux@lynxx.net> wrote:
>
> > Oh my....Uni is cool but Nightlife!!! RESTAURANTS!!! I think that's
> > what i miss the most.Something else to do than buy clothes when
> > they go downtown.That's great...three months to wait though.I'll
> > try not to look at the previews too often....
>
> Well, you're getting your wish, next EP, SIM FARM! :-D hehe

....and if you have both EPs, you can take your favourite sheep out for
a date? :-)

--
Anna Mazzoldi <http://aynathie.livejournal.com/&gt;

Question _your own_ authority.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 9:45:04 PM

Anna Mazzoldi wrote:
> ...and if you have both EPs, you can take your favourite sheep out for
> a date? :-)

A Welsh Sim, eh?
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 10:53:54 PM

On 10 Jun 2005 16:43:49 GMT, "Anna Mazzoldi" <AnnaUsenet@iol.ie>
wrote:

>...and if you have both EPs, you can take your favourite sheep out for
>a date? :-)

Or ride them into town! :-D
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 1:17:32 AM

Cheap

> Anna Mazzoldi wrote:
> > ...and if you have both EPs, you can take your favourite sheep out for
> > a date? :-)
>
> A Welsh Sim, eh?

Anonymous
June 12, 2005 9:08:02 PM

Maxon wrote:
> Yes, quite right, semantically that doesn't make sense but it means when set
> to off you can't see them.

But that's wrong. When it's set to off you *can* see them. "Hiding" is
off, so everything shows.

Frankly, having run it both ways now, I don't see a difference in
performance, at least on my computer. If there is a difference, it must
be hair-splitting.

Nonetheless I will keep hiding "off," at least for now, because I'd
rather see everything.

John

--
--Cuth