Sign in with
Your question

Cooling my rig, leaning towards water cooling...

Tags:
  • Water Cooling
  • Cooling
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
July 18, 2011 7:10:58 PM

Hi, I'm kind of puzzled about what kind of cooling to get for my newly bought rig. I'm running:

NZXT Phantom cabinet
MSI P67A-G45 (LGA 1155 socket)
Intel Core i7 2600K (3,6 GHz)

Idle temperatures on all cores (unclocked) are around 40, load is about 67 (computer has been on for 8 hours, warm room, damn summer). This is still with the stock CPU cooler though.

I have looked at two different coolers:
Thermalright Archon (http://www.thermalright.com/products/?act=data&id=172&c...)
XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11743/ex-wat-159/XSPC...)

I am still a complete novice and won’t be able to assemble a water cooling kit that isn’t already pre-assembled, I am able to mount a fan and an air cooler, which I have done before. I’m currently sitting on an Arctic Cooling Freezer Rev.2 from my old computer, but I’m quite sure that it won’t cut it.

What would you recommend? Please consider that I am a novice and that the XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 is probably the most I’d pay, so any cooler that is priced higher than that, is likely a no-go. The cooler has to be able to keep it cool if I chose to OC it to 4,2 GHz (OC Genie II, yay).

More about : cooling rig leaning water cooling

Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
July 18, 2011 8:42:10 PM

I have and that's exactly why I was thinking about going with that one.

Is it powerful enough? Will it even fit my cabinet? I've looked a lot of places and found a lot of people actually asking if it fits the NZXT Phantom, but there has been no one to answer the question.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
July 19, 2011 5:09:16 PM

I've read a few articles saying that a 3x120 radiator will fit in the Phantom.

My guess is that you'd need to mount the radiator on the top of the case and remove the fan up there. I don't know the layout of the case (never seen a Phantom in person), but I'd be ready to drill a few holes just in case.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
July 20, 2011 1:00:45 AM

I'd really rather be without the drilling of holes in my cabinet.

Thank you for your answers though, I'll try and figure something out with the fitting.
a c 334 K Overclocking
July 20, 2011 2:05:28 PM

I think he is meaning the RS240, which should fit into the top of the case. If you are doing a CPU-only loop, this would work fine. If you have the extra cash, look into the RX240 kit.
a b K Overclocking
July 20, 2011 2:41:22 PM

rubix_1011 said:
I think he is meaning the RS240, which should fit into the top of the case. If you are doing a CPU-only loop, this would work fine. If you have the extra cash, look into the RX240 kit.

I inserted the bit about the 3x120 rad to explain that the RS240 would fit. I was getting back to work and forgot to state that in my hurry.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
July 20, 2011 2:51:12 PM

Thank you very much, Rubix. I think I'll get the RX240 kit, since the price difference doesn't mean that much.

I can only see that the kit fits LGA1156, but that usually means that it fits an LGA1155 too, right?
a b K Overclocking
July 20, 2011 3:51:52 PM

The LGA 1156 and 1155 mounting holes and layout are exactly the same, so it will fit.
a c 334 K Overclocking
July 20, 2011 4:06:33 PM

Quote:
I inserted the bit about the 3x120 rad to explain that the RS240 would fit. I was getting back to work and forgot to state that in my hurry.

No worries. Just wanted to make sure OP wasn't confused.

And yes, boiler is right on the LGA hole spacing for 1155/1156. The difference of 1 socket pin wasn't quite enough to require a new pattern for Intel...which is surprising. :) 
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
July 20, 2011 4:57:55 PM

Cool, you guys are awesome. I assume you advised the RX240 because it would also fit the casing, so going to order that one very soon!

Thank you very much! :) 
a c 334 K Overclocking
July 20, 2011 6:19:19 PM

Yeah, if you have the space for 2x120mm fans, the rad would be the best fit. They are technically a little bigger than 2 fans, but not by much...but they are designed to fit 2x120mm fan mounts in a normal case.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
July 20, 2011 6:56:30 PM

You're sure that the depth of the RX240 won't be a problem? Measuring my case, it seems like the thickness of the RX240 makes it go onto the rams and the stock cooler, like 4cm of the ram will be covered by the RX240.

a c 334 K Overclocking
July 21, 2011 12:58:52 AM

If that's the case, you won't be able to mount most rads anyway...the RX series is probably a little less than 2cm thicker than most radiators.

Can you post a pic with a tape measure and where you are thinking of mounting?
July 21, 2011 11:55:20 AM

That's the place I was thinking of mounting it, top of the case.
Ideally I'd like to keep the fan on the top. With the fan mounted, the radiator would reach a bit over 9 on the tape measure.
With the fan taken out, it would be just around 6 on the tape measure. But that still leaves that silvery thing sticking out 2cm from my motherboard (the one right above my awesome stock cooler, covering some blue LEDs).
July 21, 2011 11:58:32 AM

And because I failed at copying the correct things and I'm not allowed to edit my post, here's the pictures:

a c 334 K Overclocking
July 21, 2011 1:26:40 PM

You'd need to remove the fan if you mount the rad. You' have to get fans to fit the rad.

I think you are prob going to have to stick with an RS series rad. I've seen a lot of posts with people who have stuck an RS360 or an MCR320 up there...I'll try to find some links. You may not be able to get an RX rad up there without some modding, however, you might be able to get one in somewhere else in the case if you need more cooling ability.
July 21, 2011 1:40:16 PM

How about bottom right corner, instead of the bays? I can switch the little one with the bigger one, then there might be room underneath it?

But I suppose that requires some drilling... (Picture isn't my computer, but same case etc., at work so couldn't take another pic of mine)

a b K Overclocking
July 21, 2011 3:25:41 PM

I'm just going to call out the elephant: you're most likely going to have to drill holes.

That said, I think there are 2 options here:

1) mount the rad + fans on top, about middle of the case, toward the side missing the side panel in the photos. That way you have room for the RAM to clear, which will be the tallest component in that area.

2) mount the rad + fans inside the 5.25" bay, which will free up room around the CPU area, and you could probably keep one of the large fans. Tubing will be tight, but definitely doable.
July 21, 2011 11:32:05 PM

Bah, damn hole drilling! Guess I've gotta do it then.

Thank you all very much for your help! It's been much appreciated!
a b K Overclocking
July 21, 2011 11:43:50 PM

I just check NZXT's page and they say that:

Quote:
For enhanced control and expandability, NZXT includes dual radiator support, quad watercooling cutouts, and an integrated fan controller with up to five 20W channels.

So the question is, where does it support it?

Looking at the gallery on NZXT's page, this is the only place to put it:

It would be easier to help if I actually used/owned the case, but it looks like there is hope!
July 22, 2011 3:22:15 PM

So mounting it instead of those two 120mm fans could be a possibility, then just remove the HDD bays to make room for it...
Better get awaken my creative side when I get this baby ordered.
July 22, 2011 3:23:37 PM

Edit: Better awaken my creative side when I get this baby ordered.

It won't let me edit my own posts, quite anoying!
a b K Overclocking
July 22, 2011 6:20:05 PM

It would surprise me that it wouldn't have instructions on how/where to install the rad. Most full towers (almost all, actually) have support for at least a 240, and the instruction manuals usually tell you where to mount it.

Heck, my Raven RV02 comes with radiator mounts and instructions, even though it's one of the least-friendly water cooling cases.
a c 334 K Overclocking
July 22, 2011 6:34:07 PM

But it looks smexy now.
July 23, 2011 5:39:33 PM

I was looking at the manual that come with the phantom and it says that it comes with mounting brackets for a 2x120 radiator and mounts at the top of the case on the left side with the option of having the top case fans in or out.
!