Wait for DX11, or buy a video card now?

mikey5802

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009

This is a question that has come up fairly often recently and the answer by almost everyone is that DX11 cards won't be out till the end of this year and games that can utilize DX11 functions are probably a year away.

It's your money, and your decision.

mikey5802

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Ugh wrong there Mikey, do your research before you answer. AMD has said their are 6 games coming by years end that will have Direct x 11 features and the hardware will be announced in September, and will be available right after that. A whole line of cards are coming, so I would wait till Septmeber If I were you Enthusiast.

http://www.hardware.info/en-US/news/ymicl5qSwpaaapY/AMD_to_launch_DirectX_11_cards_in_September/

I just replied with what several other posters have responded with in regards to this same question. That DX11 cards won't be out til the end of the year and that it may be another year before we see any DX11 games. The last thing I want to do is mis-inform anyone (intentionally, that is).

ryankn852

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
I was thinking of doing what redgarl said. I'm starting to look at a new build gaming/household use. I'm thinking about trying water cooling. Was wondering is DX11 going to affect the mobo in anyways. If I were to build a nice rig now, and DX11 came out, the only thing I would have to change is the GPU right. DX11 will have nothing to do with the CPU or Mobo. (those are the things I would really rather not have to replace for a bit)

J0SEPH

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
DirectX is and always has been a marketing technique. It was primarly the brainchild of Alex St. John who though it would force game developers off of ms-dos and onto windows 95 thus increasing sales revenue. It's just a bunch of api's that your OS would have anyway.
Despite microsoft's grandiose claims, the differences between dx10 and dx11 are minuscule. Dx11 will not turn your computer into a holodeck nor will it make your gfx card spontaneously obsolete.

But, like mikey5802 said, it's your money.

G

first generation of dx 11 cards wont be so good just like first gen of dx 10 ( 8800gtx wasnt so good to run dx 10 games and gt 200 series is a lot better in raw performance. it will be the same case with dx 11 cards ( they wont offer all they have in first generation, they will do it in second generation to make more money and see what ATI has to offer )

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Stick with an Intel GMA and wait for dx11 cards to come (joke).

I say get the card that fits your budget/needs and be happy with it. Don't worry about those dx11 cards as they are yet to come. Games won't malfunction at the time dx11 cards arrive.

Wait for the DX11 cards, and the ensuing price drop that follows. Maybe even get a new card based on the extra performance.

I'd get a DX11 card if the price/performance was right, but being DX11 capable will have 0 effect on my buying a card (for reasons I've long since explained).

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
In my opinion if you plan to buy a mid-range card go for it. If not and want only the fastest high end card, wait. The first dx11 cards are going to be the high end models with a "high end" price tag. (hopefully not to big of a price tag!)

^^ agreed. I think having a DX10.1 card may become important soon, as most DX10 games will support it, and any new game will/should as well.
If you want the best card, its best to wait, as invisik said, as the new DX11 cards will pummel the older cards, and also support the newer features.
Id also comment that anyone who hasnt seen tessellation in use cant really make claims about DX11 and its eventual eyecandy improvements.
The higher use of AO will also be nice to have.
The cards will be here by Oct. Anyone who says different, show me your links, and theyd best be a correction from ATI, as theyve said many times theyll (DX11) have cards out by the W7 launch, which is Oct 22nd

ryankn852

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
If he were to buy a card now though... Are the new DX11 cards going to have a different pci slots? Or should the mobos now support DX11? Thats what I'm worried about in building a new rig now.

ryankn852

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Alright cool thanks. So I could build a full computer now with just a mid range graphics card. Now to decide bout waiting for an i5 or not. Thanks for the info though was curious bout that.

mikey5802

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009

So many responses, so many different opinions. I apologize for not knowing that DX11s card would be out in October. I was merely stating what others have posted in repsonse to the same question by others asking the same question. Some say to buy a newer card now, then sell it later and get a DX11 card, some say to wait till the DX11 cards are available and some even say that waiting will get a first generation DX11 card that may not be as powerful as a second generation DX11 card.

What I think you should ask yourself is: Is the card I have now performing well enough that I can live with it for a few more months. If it is, save your money, if not, then upgrade. If you do get a more powerful card now, then you can probably sell it after the DX11 cards come out and not lose to much on the deal. Or even wait until the reviews are out on the first generation DX11 cards and go from there.

I'm in the process of building a new computer right now. I purchased an Intel i7 940, ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 Mobo and 6 GB of Corsair Dominator ram. I know what will serve my needs for a vid card right now and the very near future, and I will buy an XFX 4890 video card very soon. I'm not gonna wait for DX11 cards to come out.

My current system is a P4 3.2 Ghz, 1GB Kingston Hyper-X ram, two WD 36 gb Raptor HDD in a raid 0 and I've been using an ATI Radeon 9800 graphics card. Everything has worked fine for me and never skipped a beat but it isn't powerfull enough anymore, thus the new build.

Sorry this post is so long but I'm confident that you'll make a decision that suits your needs/finances. Good luck.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006

Just ignore that idiotic response. I actually studied DX 9 and can tell you it is a lot more than a sales gimmick and not "a bunch of api's that your OS would have anyway".

As for the now vs wait thing, I would only buy now if I needed it now. If you have no reason to buy a new GPU now (no game you are dying to play now that needs it) then you might as well wait until you need it.

Enthusiast

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Thanks a lot, guys!
If the DX11 cards are going to pummel the old cards, then I'm just going to wait.
Then the price will have gone down a lot for the old ones if I decide I still want one.
I'm going through the process of getting my old card replaced(512MB Geforce 9600GT), so I'll be out of a video card for a week or so. That might suck.
(It was due to artifacts, I think, if artifacts are the flashes all over your screen.)
Hopefully I will still be able to watch videos and browse Firefox.

thedexmonster

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Keep in mind PCIe 3.0, USB 3.0, and SATA 3.0 are coming soon. Don't go haywire just yet.
I would buy a decent ATI card for the money and build a new system when the time comes.