Solved

Hd 6950 crossfire issues

Is there something wrong when my hd 6950's have a good amount microstuttering and some artifacting when playing crysis? It only happens with this game too. Metro 2033, crysis 2, crysis warhead, and homefront all have no issues. I know that microstuttering is an inherent problem with crossfire/sli but I only have the overclock at 840mhz core (800 mhz stock). And even at stock clocks there is still alot of microstuttering/artifacting in the game. It mostly happens with clouds and trees that are really far away. The clouds will artifact and simply display as squares in the air. I know temps are not an issue as my temps at load are 70C and 40 C at idle. Is it a game issue or are my new cards bad?

My second issue is that i cant seem to push these cards past a 40 mhz core overclock without my games freezing.
The model i have is the SAPPHIRE 100312-3SR Radeon HD 6950 Dirt3 Edition, the cooler is very good and most people in the newegg reviews have their clocks at 900 mhz core without voltage changes. Did i just get unlucky and is it worth it to rma? :(
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 6950 crossfire issues
  1. Are you having issues at the end of Crysis? Crysis is known to have a memory leak, and it's especially bad at the end. This memory leak will create something like a micro stuttering.

I also have found Crysis does not like ASUS's software, SmartDoctor, it may also have issues with Trixx if you have that installed.
  2. Best answer
    Btw, how much ram do you have? Low ram causes more problems. With 6GB, I can't run with any browsers open and Aero must be off or I run into the same issue.
  3. I have 8 gb of g.skill 1600mhz ddr3 ram and i use sapphire trixx, thats probably why my crysis has those issues :/
    As for my second issue, the low overclock potential for my cards, is that normal? As i said ive seen many people push their hd 6950's to 880/900 mhz without upping the voltage...
  4. That low of a clock to cause artifacts is not normal.
  5. Is it even worth it to contact sapphire or newegg and potentially RMA it , or should i just deal with a card that overclocks very low?
  6. I solved my overclocking woes by raising hte voltage to 1.12v and now have a clock of 870/1325. I also found out that by lowering the AA in crysis from 8x to 2x and turning of aero fixed most of the flickering. I dont know how a voltage raise of 0.02v solved my problems?
  7. Best answer selected by a101817.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Crossfire HD Overclocking