Sign in with
Your question

Please I Need Help With Graphics Card Upgrade 4890 :S

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 26, 2009 10:05:26 PM

I purchased a XFX 4850 512mb to replace a 8800GT that was faulty. I have had the card for less than a week and I found out it is also faulty, It crashes in crysis and furmark (LONG STORY). It was also a squealing card just like my 8800GT.

So I am fed up with squealing cards, I will refund this card cause the problem seems to be among most of these XFX 4850 cards. I dont want to get another faulty card.

I got the 4850 for a cheap price and was happy with it, I didnt want to spend too much money because new cards are coming out and I wanted to save the extra cash.

What should I do? :??: 
July 26, 2009 10:16:43 PM

send it back, maybe pick up a 4870(?) since they are about $120. It also depends on your resolution. If an 8800GT and 4850 were good, then the 4870 will be really good. I'm not sure that its totally necessary to buy, say a 4890 for ~$200, unless you plan on sitting out for the next round of cards.
a c 106 U Graphics card
July 27, 2009 5:49:15 AM

Make sure you don't have a faulty PSU. If a PSU is taxed it can start making a high pitched noise. Lower quality PSUs, of course, experience this effect at loads much lower than what they are rated for and the really cheap ones will blow and take the system with it rather than shutting themselves off before they do any harm.
Related resources
July 27, 2009 7:16:38 AM

megamanx00 said:
Make sure you don't have a faulty PSU. If a PSU is taxed it can start making a high pitched noise. Lower quality PSUs, of course, experience this effect at loads much lower than what they are rated for and the really cheap ones will blow and take the system with it rather than shutting themselves off before they do any harm.

Did you uninstall the drives correctly and use a driver cleaner before installing the ati drivers? The squealing could be capacitors on your motherboard or on the gpu's. My last mobo had noisy capacitors when doing graphically intensive games. What steps did you do to verify that the gpu was faulty and not the psu or mobo making the noise?
July 27, 2009 8:41:27 AM

Its hard for me to carryout those test but I will try today. I hardly believe its the motherboard. But I will put my gpu in another system and try to see if it also makes squealing sounds. Why even bother with the noise when the card crashes games?????? This was a fresh install of windows 7 rc and I have installed 9.6 drivers. The issue is not only me. Something wrong with these cards. http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17997...
The issue is specific to games and stress programs that load the card until it crashes with vertical lines of two shades of the same colour. The only thing you can do then is hard reset pc.
I will try to install the latest 9.7 drivers. Doubt It will do anyhelp.

My power supply is working good as for as I know, However It does make the buzzing and squealing like the GPU so I will rma it too. BTW its a Corsair 650W. I have two of them and both of them does the same noises.
July 27, 2009 8:43:13 AM

Just trying to find out what all steps were taken to troubleshoot the card. Not much info was given at first. Verry well could be the card just trying to make sure propper steps were taken to verify the card is faulty. and just because there is coil noise does not mean something is faulty. Some capacitors are just noisier than others.
July 27, 2009 8:56:51 AM

chef7734 said:
Just trying to find out what all steps were taken to troubleshoot the card. Not much info was given at first. Verry well could be the card just trying to make sure propper steps were taken to verify the card is faulty. and just because there is coil noise does not mean something is faulty. Some capacitors are just noisier than others.

I agree, I had the buzzing noise and squealing in games But I was not worried cause its normal. However the card crashes crysis and furmark. Same problem of vertical line of two shades of the same colour. Then I did some research on this and apparently the problem is big with XFX 4850 cards especially the XXX version. I read the thread and they did all sorts of tests and all the cards had the same problem. I beginning to believe it was a bad batch. As the retailler I bought it from was selling it in their own name for cheaper than the EXACT same cards.

I was playing crysis about 10-15 mins the vertical line thing happens, i did not think much of it. I reseated the card and looked for any dust, the card is brand new by the way less than a week old. Tried to play crysis again same issue. Then I tried furmark stress testing and same issue, tried it again same issue. Then I went to the shop to buy a new extension cable, plugged everything in tested and same issue again. I play counterstrike for hours and no issue. Its definantly the card. I tested my cpu for 13 hours, my ram for 14 hours and both had no errors.

I dont know what more to test appart from putting it, in another system which is defficult for me at the moment, aslo it seems pointless to do it when a bunch of other people have had the exact same problem. The forum is above if you wanna take a look.

Your help appreciated. Any more input on what I should do?
July 27, 2009 9:42:29 AM

If you can I would take the card back and buy a 4870 or 4890. I personally would have gone that route first. If not going that route contact xfx about the issue. I have always had great customer service with xfx. Hell they sent me 2 ti sli bridges free even though I do not have an xfx mobo just thier gpu's. I personally will only buy xfx cards because thier great customer service and double lifetime warranty. Within the past year I have purchased 1 8800gts, 4 gtx 260 xxx editions, 2 4890'sxxx edition and 3 gtx 285 black edition.
July 28, 2009 12:50:06 AM

Which card would be best bang for buck at the moment.
July 28, 2009 9:47:27 AM

Well the 4890 and 275 are both around 200.00 the 260 a little less, and gtx 280's start a little over 200. It all comes down to what motherboard and games you play.
July 28, 2009 9:53:14 AM

Well it should not be expensive, The performace gap between the 4870 or 4890 worth the money. Do I need 1GB for 1680x1050 res. I play Css, Crysis Warhead, UT3, Grid, Assasin Creed, etc.
Nvidia cards are more expensive and I cant go into the 275 or above.
Which card will deliver best performace for lowest price out of the highend cards. I dont want to spend too much. here in the uk they are more expensive.
a c 168 U Graphics card
July 28, 2009 5:26:57 PM

Check here to start: CCL, Scan, Novatech, E-buyer, Pixmania, Microdirect and Overclockers.
You'll have a job finding a 512Mb H4870, so do n't bother looking and the HD4850 seems to be getting scarce as well.
Be very careful of the cooler if your case is small, crowded or has just one intake+ one exhaust fan because they can cause heating issues, and the HD4870 can run hot enough!

This is the stock design, which I actually prefer:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX...

And just to prove myself wrong about the 512Mb cards:
http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=24...

And yes, the 1Gb card is worth the extra 14 quid;)
July 28, 2009 5:35:01 PM

coozie7 said:
Check here to start: CCL, Scan, Novatech, E-buyer, Pixmania, Microdirect and Overclockers.
You'll have a job finding a 512Mb H4870, so do n't bother looking and the HD4850 seems to be getting scarce as well.
Be very careful of the cooler if your case is small, crowded or has just one intake+ one exhaust fan because they can cause heating issues, and the HD4870 can run hot enough!

This is the stock design, which I actually prefer:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX...

And just to prove myself wrong about the 512Mb cards:
http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=24...

And yes, the 1Gb card is worth the extra 14 quid;)

I can get the XFX 4870 512 for £98, Is this a good card? http://www.ebuyer.com/product/155497
or the 1GB version from MSI http://www.ebuyer.com/product/168816
a c 168 U Graphics card
July 28, 2009 6:36:11 PM

Get the 1Gb version, the extra memory allows for higher AA/AF settings, so you'll get better visual quality and games that need more memory-Yes, I'm looking at YOU GTA IV!-will benefit hugely.
Now, is that not worth a measly, piddling, tiny, microscopic tenner? ;) 
August 4, 2009 3:25:42 PM

HI, I got the 4890 and after all that time I have finally set it up today. Only to find out it needs to be returned. :( 
Its a good card. It works however its loud as heck. Squeals even with vsync on. Do anyone have a clue???
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2009 3:42:01 PM

If you are getting the same squealing between what has become 3 different cards, I would stop looking at the cards for the problem.
August 4, 2009 3:44:27 PM

My other cards did not squeal half as much as this one. this one even buzzes with vsync enabled. The others were quiet with vsync on. What could the problem be. My power supply also makes noise and I tested with another Identical one and same issue. driving me mad. Custom builds are a hazzzzle.
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2009 4:03:44 PM

Check how solid your MB is mounted to the case. Check how solid ALL components are mounted in your case. Sometimes a vibration in one spot can cause resonance in another, and different frequencies of vibrations will cause different noises in different place.

If you remove the variables that you have already tested for, you are left with a few options:
-Multiple cards, same issue. Not the card (unless you are the unluckiest person in the world to get 3 different cards in a row with the same fault)

-PSU - two identical PSUs give the same issue. Again, vibration may be to blame, sourced from the PSU. The 4890s power draw may cause the PSU to work harder, increasing the source of the noise.

There are still too many unknown variables for a diagnosis over the web. If this was my rig and I was suffering these issues, I would completely disassemble the computer, and put it back together, testing along the way. Hook up Mobo, PSU, CPU, Ram and HDD and run off the onboard video first to see if the sound exists at all without a Video Card running. If it is, I would try a different brand of PSU, especially if the one you have is a cheap one. If the sound is absent without a videocard, then I would hook up the videocard. If the sound returns with the videocard, and I had experienced the issue with 3 different videocards, I would look at the Mobo.

There is also the chance that reassembling the rig with close attention to tight fitments could solve the issue.
August 4, 2009 4:26:35 PM

I just assembled it today. But I will do that. Also I will try with my other power supply they are the same but just for sake. Its corsair 650W so no probs with power. I dont have onboard video so cant test that.
August 4, 2009 6:07:16 PM

I made sure the motherboard was installed tightly. I connected all the connectors securely. Reseated the GPU still same thing. Now I will change power cable, if that dont work, I will try another outlet. If that dont work I will try my other power supply. If that dont work I am gonna return this card.
August 4, 2009 7:05:45 PM

pcangeldust said:
I made sure the motherboard was installed tightly. I connected all the connectors securely. Reseated the GPU still same thing. Now I will change power cable, if that dont work, I will try another outlet. If that dont work I will try my other power supply. If that dont work I am gonna return this card.

It is either the capacitors on the mobo, psu, or card. There is probably nothing wrong with them. you need to do a google search on coil noise in capacitors.
August 4, 2009 7:20:40 PM

Yes I understand. I have had 2 GPu prior to this card. Both those cards use to squeal. It is common I know and that is not the problem.

My problem is that it buzzes throughout games and it also hisses in furmark stababilty test. Its really annoying and my other two cards never use to make these sounds. It is buzzing not squealing and vsync does nothing about it.
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 4, 2009 7:28:29 PM

Three cards in a row all squealing would suggest a motherboard or PSU fault.
August 4, 2009 7:34:41 PM

My motherboard is a gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3r. When I had a 8800GT it was with a xfx 680i lt motherbaord and it also squealed. I think the squealing is not avoidable. However the buzzing should not be there as far as I am aware of. I tested with two power supplys when I had the 4850 and both squealed. What I dont understand is that why this new 4890 is different and makes lots of buzzing during actual gameplay. My other cards did not use to do this. They only squealed in atitool and menus of games. This card squeals and buzzes. HELP needed.
August 4, 2009 7:56:26 PM

sounds like you've got a cheep case with no air flow
August 4, 2009 8:05:05 PM

rangers said:
sounds like you've got a cheep case with no air flow

LOL, I dont see where you got that from or what in the world it has to do with the gpu making buzzing noises.

My case is a storm scout got it today aswell. It has a 140mm fron intake fan. and 1 140mm top exuast a rear 120mm and two side 120mm intakes (havent installed yet)

The case is cool and keeps my cpu temp low at 27-34 idle.
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2009 2:32:56 AM

I have nothing else for you then. Although, perhaps you are an Indigo Child, and you innate connection with electronics is causing interferance. Or you might be Harry Potter. I am fresh out of logical responses.
August 5, 2009 9:31:13 AM

I have had two cards prior to this one and both use to squeal. However I could remove this squeal by enabling vsync. The 4890 also squeals. However with vsync it doesnt. Although the 4890 also buzzes and hisses regardless of wether vsync is on or off. This is a problem to me.

Also I have two corsair 650W power supplies and both use to buzz with my 4850 during ati-tool. I talked to corsair and they said it could be because of dirty power. I need to test it with a different out just to see.

The buzzing with the card is the annoying bit. It is constant throughout crysis warhead and comes in small spikes in css(when players are on screen). Also in furmark it hisses/buzzes very loudly
August 5, 2009 1:04:58 PM

I tried on 3 outlets now and all are the same. I will try the other power supply and see if its still there Which I bet it is.
August 5, 2009 5:56:58 PM

no more advise???
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 5, 2009 6:12:00 PM

You may need something like this.
a b U Graphics card
August 6, 2009 3:58:12 AM

If you have dirty power, it is probably not your outlet, but the supply to your home. Testing different outlets would not make a difference if this is the case. If it is the circuit, you have to be sure to test it on a different circuit within your house: 3 outlets in the same room would all act the same.

If is the supply to your home, you will need to go the route that Mousemonkey suggested.
August 6, 2009 9:03:34 AM

JofaMang said:
If you have dirty power, it is probably not your outlet, but the supply to your home. Testing different outlets would not make a difference if this is the case. If it is the circuit, you have to be sure to test it on a different circuit within your house: 3 outlets in the same room would all act the same.

If is the supply to your home, you will need to go the route that Mousemonkey suggested.

I might have dirty power however that does not explain the buzzing that occurs contantly in gameplay and furmark.
I am not talking about the usual squeal which I have heard people fixed by changing psu.

The buzzing is different. Another person I was talking to had a powercolor 4890 and it was making same noise BUZZZ.
He also use to get the squeal but he changed psu and it dissappear however he was still getting the buzzing. So now am not worried about the squealing which is not big deal as it stops with vsync enabled. The buzzing on the otherhand continues regardless.
August 7, 2009 6:17:27 AM

Why dont you contact the manufacturer and ask them since you dont seem to listen to us. Both the 4870 and 4890 are noisy cards. Both buzz and sequel. Try putting in on an avr and change out the psu. Coil noise can be either buzzing or squeeling depending or both. But hey dont listen to me contact xfx via phone. i have had 4870's and 4890's gtx 260's and 285's 8800 gts's. Different cards react differently some cause the mobo capacitors to have noise some cards have capacitors that make noise. sometimes both make noise.
!